Free Member
May 14, 2015
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
toyota lightace
Exp
im a newbie
HUH....SCARBOROUGH.....parked vehicle in park and ride.......took bus to scarborough....asked what time last bus was to return.......bus driver gave wrong information...no retun bus arrived........by the time we realized there would be no bus.......HMMMM....park and ride closed with vehicle locked behind barriers.........???????? just waiting for the day when car parks will be available for overnighters.......cannot see the problem........some councils cant see the wood for the trees.......need to get into the frame of mind CAN DO....instead of CANT DO...........AT THE VERY LEAST....GIVE IT A TRIAL RUN.........PROTEST CONVOY NEEDED.. OR IS THAT OUT OF ORDER..............apologies in advance.......

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
HUH....SCARBOROUGH.....parked vehicle in park and ride.......took bus to scarborough....asked what time last bus was to return.......bus driver gave wrong information...no retun bus arrived........by the time we realized there would be no bus.......HMMMM....park and ride closed with vehicle locked behind barriers.........???????? just waiting for the day when car parks will be available for overnighters.......cannot see the problem........some councils cant see the wood for the trees.......need to get into the frame of mind CAN DO....instead of CANT DO...........AT THE VERY LEAST....GIVE IT A TRIAL RUN.........PROTEST CONVOY NEEDED.. OR IS THAT OUT OF ORDER..............apologies in advance.......

We have just used both the Scarborough Park N Ride parks in the past two weeks, and found them very efficient, The time tables were clear to read and understand at both parks and the opening and closing times were also very clear

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
When they 'just outside of' I think they just mean before the height barrier but still part of the park and ride, I'm only surmising of course. I took a look on streetview and the bays look far too short anyway, even for a 6 metre van I should think.

matford.jpg

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Please forgive my overuse of screenshots - I've only just learned how to do one, so I'm going a bit happy with them!

It looks as though it's part of the 'complex' but as you say @Easyliving , outside the barriers

upload_2015-6-3_14-49-21.png

and I absolutely agree about the length of them, they don't look much longer than the car spaces

upload_2015-6-3_14-48-51.png

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
There are so many of them and one of me, which ones would you like me to contact?
I was in Canterbry car park and ride And I noticed that MH part was nearly fullup and with a lot of foreign vans too. I did see my first Funster badge there as well it was a Very smart Hobby in a striking black and white colour scheme, I did see someone moving around but would not impose on them.
I've contacted all approx 400 councils in the UK several times regarding motorhome parking in general so contact as many as you feel comfortable with. The important point is to make a solid, evidenced, case not just a vague claim about motorhomers spending money so maybe the best starting point would be an area you are familiar with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We recently stayed overnight on a council car park in Bury St Edmunds which suited us fine. I emailed the relevant councillor to say 'well done' and mention the benefit to the local economy etc. I think it can't do any harm to remind the powers that be that there is a benefit in allowing overnight parking.

I wasn't so lucky with Norwich City Council who allow motorhome parking at the Costessey park and ride (no height barrier) but not overnight parking, due apparently to the conditions in the traffic regulation order that governs the site. Maybe I'll have to have another go.

Paul
The TROs governing most P&R sites (and most car arks in general) only allow parking rather than camping as that is all the planning consent they have. TROs can be varied but councils need to have real evidence of economic benefit (and payback to themselves) before spending whatever is necessary. Put some reasonable figures together and have another go (y)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have used the PnR at Dartmouth in the South Hams of Devon, in certain of these they allow MH over 5 metres, but if you take up two bays it's buy two pay and display tickets, no height barriers, but no overnighting, and it is seasonal.

Broken Link Removed

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Please forgive my overuse of screenshots - I've only just learned how to do one, so I'm going a bit happy with them!

It looks as though it's part of the 'complex' but as you say @Easyliving , outside the barriers

View attachment 64796

and I absolutely agree about the length of them, they don't look much longer than the car spaces]

It wouldn't be a problem overnight as they'd be empty.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Regarding the new Truro East site, I e-mailed Cornwall Council on 10th March because I wanted to be able to be able to advise those attending the Funsters meet at Carnon Downs in September.
Their reply, from Lee Quinney, who is the Councils Contracts Officer, stated that there would be no designated parking spaces for motorhomes at the new site. As only 4 spaces are set aside for motorhomes at the existing Truro West site, and these are always occupied by cars, there seems little point in providing spaces at the East side.
Stef.
I've had a reply from Lee Quinney re the existing West and under-construction East Truro P&Rs, basically stating that there is open access for MHs at both sites. There is no charge for parking; the charge is for the bus (not expensive - £1 per day with a "wrinkly" card, not sure what it is without as I buy a season ticket). Hope this is helpful!

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Western Park and Ride at Threemilestone provides dedicated motorhome parking facilities on site, these are located along the top edge of the "Oak" car park with spaces for at least 4 medium sized motorhomes. A number of notices are also available at each of the entrance points and within the site to advise customers. In addition, such details are also available under the “Frequently Asked Questions” section of our website – www.parkfortruro.org.uk

With regards to the new Truro Eastern District Park and Ride site, I have been advised that no specific parking bays for motorhomes will be provided. The ground space limitations of the scheme did not afford the design provision for larger separate bays as this would reduce the desired number of parking bays available for those travelling by car. However, there will be no height or width restrictions at the site, enabling those with motorhomes to enter and make use of the facility.

Kind regards

Lee

Lee Quinney
Contracts Officer

Passenger Transport Unit
Cornwall Council

Tel: 01872 32 3868
Fax: 01872 32 3844
lquinney@cornwall.gov.uk

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One reason for height barriers is that the facilities have been abused in the past.

You can't really blame council officials for putting barriers up after they have had to evict and then clean up after a traveler take over.

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back