Park 4 Night query (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm amazed by the number of folk who can't see the advantage of using the reference number. In my trip reports if we stay at a CamperContact aire I usually give its number as CC1234 or whatever it is. Then others can easily find it.

I knew there was a reason I preferred CC over P4N - although P4N is useful sometimes. :)
Not if the other person doesn't have camper contact.
But Robert has always used that and spoke of it as the holy grail so why is he now trying to change.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm amazed by the number of folk who can't see the advantage of using the reference number. In my trip reports if we stay at a CamperContact aire I usually give its number as CC1234 or whatever it is. Then others can easily find it.

I knew there was a reason I preferred CC over P4N - although P4N is useful sometimes. :)
I find CC less intuitive after its recent re design so have been trying PFN

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I wonder why they don’t add it to their site……can’t be a major exercise surely?
It would be easy
It’s only a case of telling the search engine to include site ref number in its table of searches

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It would be easy
It’s only a case of telling the search engine to include site ref number in its table of searches
It would be very off putting though, as the numbers are the number when it was added to the site,not a area thing, so 1234 could be in France but 1235 could be in Timbuktu.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It would be very off putting though, as the numbers are the number when it was added to the site,not a area thing, so 1234 could be in France but 1235 could be in Timbuktu.
That’s why a search engine returns multiple results, you then pic the one you want

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Like this

E957EFE9-8C5D-45D4-B2D2-F715F6B4A95B.png

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Sorry don't understand what you are getting at with that one
You type in ‘Loir’ and the search engine returns multiple results in a list

Likewise if you entered the site ref eg 1234
The search engine would return

Site ref 1234 (the result you want)
1234 high street anytown
Address 1234 postcode

simples really

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am with Robert on this one.

Whenever I see a reference to a nice place to stay on this forum I save it on Google maps. I then annotate it with info about it. If it is on Campercontact I make a note of the number.

When I am on tour I can then look at my saved Google map for the area, check out the CC number and then go to the CC app or website and quickly find it so I can have a look to get latest photos and reviews. Much easier than trying to spell foreign villages correctly or putting in coordinates.

The point is I already know where it is because I have it on Google. I just want to find some info on it quickly to see if it is suitable for what I want that particular night.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am with Robert on this one.

Whenever I see a reference to a nice place to stay on this forum I save it on Google maps. I then annotate it with info about it. If it is on Campercontact I make a note of the number.

When I am on tour I can then look at my saved Google map for the area, check out the CC number and then go to the CC app or website and quickly find it so I can have a look to get latest photos and reviews. Much easier than trying to spell foreign villages correctly or putting in coordinates.

The point is I already know where it is because I have it on Google. I just want to find some info on it quickly to see if it is suitable for what I want that particular night.
Right, no need to put it in Google maps, the latest version is already there on the p4n map, you don't have to put any words in at all when you kick it in it automatically comes up with the area you are in and your stops will be there, you can actually save your favourites right there in the app but if that isn't the area you are looking for just move the map to where you want then the same applies.
Then you just click itinerary and Google maps will come up with your route all mapped out.
Can that be any simpler?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It’s not just about sharing
It’s about route planning

here goes …..
When I’m looking for places to stay I might use PFN, or Campercontact or maybe something else

I look at each of the apps
Select a few potential places, then note their ref numbers eg CC1234, so that I know which app the site was on

It’s easy then to return to the site details later, however this doesn’t work on PFN.
I tend to look ahead on p4n by moving the map to the area im looking at stopping ..then i look at a few locations on offer and screenshot the ones im interested in ...never used the reference numbers but i also dont tend to use other apps either ... I've always found a spot on p4n so never needed other apps.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Another tip, when you get the place you want to remember, go to the list and click on the star and it will save and you can go back to it by clicking on the star at the top of the page

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I find CC less intuitive after its recent re design so have been trying PFN
Be careful Robert you have a big van now, loads of entries in P4N have been made by Camper vans. We have been caught out loads of times, CC is more reliable.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Be careful Robert you have a big van now, loads of entries in P4N have been made by Camper vans. We have been caught out loads of times, CC is more reliable.
There are usually photos of the place though so you know what it's like before you get there.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Right, no need to put it in Google maps, the latest version is already there on the p4n map, you don't have to put any words in at all when you kick it in it automatically comes up with the area you are in and your stops will be there, you can actually save your favourites right there in the app but if that isn't the area you are looking for just move the map to where you want then the same applies.
Then you just click itinerary and Google maps will come up with your route all mapped out.
Can that be any simpler?
I know how P4N and CC work but they both have places I would never want to stay on, especially P4N. I find sorting the wheat from the chaff takes too long.

The whole point is that we want to have our own database of saved Aires that we like the look of and are very likely to stay on. Many of them are places that we would go out of our way to see, not just a place to sleep.

As for photos and reviews, just let's say they often don't tell the whole story. Been there done that got the T shirt. Many people appear to be willing to put up with anything as long as it is free. But that is not how we want to spend our time away.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know how P4N and CC work but they both have places I would never want to stay on, especially P4N. I find sorting the wheat from the chaff takes too long.

The whole point is that we want to have our own database of saved Aires that we like the look of and are very likely to stay on. Many of them are places that we would go (y) out of our way to see, not just a place to sleep.

As for photos and reviews, just let's say they often don't tell the whole story. Been there done that got the T shirt. Many people appear to be willing to put up with anything as long as it is free. But that is not how we want to spend our time away.
Everyone to there own, but as you may know we only have a converted ambulance so size doesn't affect us but for 10 years have been using p4n and never came across one that we couldn't get on, never seen any trouble on the Aires.
We did find one that was all set out with all the services and free to boot but it was at the back of a load of flats and no one else on it, so we did give that one a miss but even there there wasn't any sign of trouble for the time we were there.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Generally speaking, regardless of the application purpose, it’s quite usual to index a ‘reference ID‘ for search purposes.

I wonder if the developer takes enhancement requests? ;)
As I said in an earlier post you can save your favourites.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
As I said in an earlier post you can save your favourites.
Indeed you can, once you’ve found it, such as via a convenient search facility when armed with only the site reference. ;)

I think we are all aware of and agree that there are alternative approaches available, having additional search options would only augment, not detract from, those options.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One thing I have found , but might be just my phone, for some reason it seems to get stuck and won't go back to the map, but switching off and on always puts right

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Robert Clark

Are you sure it's a reference number and not a postcode, for example Challans is 85300 - we know because when we buy any 'large item' we are always asked for 'code postal'

The 85 refers to the Region and 300 to the actual town. It isn't a specific pinpoint on a map it's a general area.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
One thing I have found , but might be just my phone, for some reason it seems to get stuck and won't go back to the map, but switching off and on always puts right
Don't give that away. 15 years in computer support funded my van.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert Clark

Are you sure it's a reference number and not a postcode, for example Challans is 85300 - we know because when we buy any 'large item' we are always asked for 'code postal'

The 85 refers to the Region and 300 to the actual town. It isn't a specific pinpoint on a map it's a general area.
The have both, the postcode and the site ref

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Generally speaking, regardless of the application purpose, it’s quite usual to index a ‘reference ID‘ for search purposes.

I wonder if the developer takes enhancement requests? ;)
I’ve given the app a review and feedback on the app store

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back