Paranoia sets in ....... (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
I bet you're all thinking "gosh, I wish she'd just go away" or words to that effect :oops:

Yesterday morning was woken at 5.50 am by the rain battering the motorhome roof. Whilst lying there wishing it would stop I heard, between the 'regular' raindrops, a steady, heavy drip, drip, drip. We were not underneath anything such as trees or overhead wires and I was trying to think where these louder drips were coming from. It definitely sounded as though it was on the roof. Fast forward to bedtime last night and as I lay down I noticed a dark line across the ceiling, about 1.5 cm wide. It looked like it could possibly be part of the framework between roof and ceiling. PANIC!!!!! - I'm now worried there is a leak in the roof and the heavy drips were in the void between the two layers. The ceiling covering appears to be some sort of vinyl and the mark looks more like a dirty mark, but I haven't tried to clean it. I've been looking to purchase a damp meter but need it asap to try it before contacting Hayes and making a total fool of myself. Do you think I'm worrying about nothing? Obviously I'd never seen the mark before, but perhaps I've just never looked at the ceiling previously.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
If this is a recent purchase from Hayes as you appear to be saying then I would take it back immediately, or sooner. Have you tried holding a piece of toilet paper or similar against the dark mark to see if it is actually damp.
Good luck and I hope that it is easily/speedily resolved.
Norman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
@TUCANO, the moho is 6 weeks old! My hubby thinks I'm over-reacting but, then again, he hasn't read everything I have. Most people who know nothing about motorhomes would say you couldn't have anything seriously wrong with a new one, but we know differently.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have a dsrk stain I am worrying about too. :( The damp meter says dry. Maybe it's something that just comes with wesr and tear. ..but is yours a new van?

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I am surprised that none of the more technically minded members of the forum have replied to you, perhaps all away on Easter holidays.
I would most definitely be taking the van back being only six weeks old and I would want to see what they would be doing to it to rectify the damage should it be damp as you say.
I do believe that you can return a vehicle if it is deemed not fit for purpose but what exactly that involves I have no idea.
Truly wish you well with this.
Norman.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
There would not be enough of a gap in the roof to allow a drip to thud down making a noise.... but I must admit you shouldn't be seeing any framework across the roof...?

As Tucano said try fixing a bit of tissue against it and see if it gets damp..

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm not a complete expert, but as far as I'm aware, there isn't a large void between the roof and inner ceiling, to make such a loud splash that you've described. I've had something similar happen to me and it was the rain running off the roof and, due to the angle, was dripping on another part of the van; however it doesn't account for the dark mark, so take it back asap and have the peace of mind what it is. Do you have any pictures you can post of the mark?

Lidl sell damp meters, they had them last week. I have one and do regular checks. Worth looking into:)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Do you go to bed with the windows all closed? It may be condensation from your breath hitting a cold spot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
@movan, yes it is new. When I looked at the mark/stain closely it did look more like soiling, as though something had pressed onto it. It may have been there since we got it and I just hadn't noticed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
I'm not a complete expert, but as far as I'm aware, there isn't a large void between the roof and inner ceiling, to make such a loud splash that you've described. I've had something similar happen to me and it was the rain running off the roof and, due to the angle, was dripping on another part of the van; however it doesn't account for the dark mark, so take it back asap and have the peace of mind what it is. Do you have any pictures you can post of the mark?

Lidl sell damp meters, they had them last week. I have one and do regular checks. Worth looking into:)
I'm glad there isn't a void, puts my mind at rest somewhat. I never thought to take photos and I won't be back at the van until weekend. Will see if I can get one thst shows the mark. I will also try cleaning it, so may well end up with egg on my face :blush:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Do you go to bed with the windows all closed? It may be condensation from your breath hitting a cold spot.
Don't think so. It's in a straight line approx 1.5 cm wide across about one-third of the width of the moho, but in a "broken" line, if you see what I mean.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm glad there isn't a void, puts my mind at rest somewhat. I never thought to take photos and I won't be back at the van until weekend. Will see if I can get one thst shows the mark. I will also try cleaning it, so may well end up with egg on my face :blush:
I don't think it'll ever be a case of egg on your face, I'd be doing the same as you if it were me. We spend £10's of £1000's on these leisure vehicles and they need to be spot on.

Keep us all posted and good luck:)

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Di on our Burstner I had a similar experience of the drip drip drip, it was water dripping into the overbed locker. I noticed it more when it splashed onto the pillow next to me. We took it straight back to our dealer and they found that a seal had been omitted on the install of the rear high light cluster, the fitting had filled with water and was slowly dripping in. Might be worth checking your lockers to make sure no water there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
@Granjan, I did check the wardrobe and lockers, that was my first thought! Next time I go to the moho I will try wiping the mark with a damp cloth. Watch this space. I'm MUCH happier now I know there is no void in the roof. We once had a problem in the house, I could hear water dripping but could not find any leaks. Eventually it did leak through the top of the window inset. The water had run in from outside at the top of the window and was dripping onto the window void tray at the top, then run off there and came through the plaster. That was my first thought with the motorhome.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
"Pattern Staining"
caused by different of backings. in construction,
You will have witnessed this phenomenon before
Usually in white painted platered cielings ie you can see the position of the cieling joists as though you have x ray eyes

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
We've had the same noise
Took me chuffing weeks to find it
Everytime it rained there was a distinct louder drip
As @PP Bear has said
It was rain dripping off the trim where the roof meets the rear panel then dripping onto the skirt/trim around the rear lights/number plate
Still drives me mad
But if your not sure take it back
Better to look a little daft than having a damp van

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hee hee! - we have exactly the same on our van - and - it's a Pilote from Hayes LOL !

Again - only noticed it actually in bed - until one rainy day we got something out of the very back lockers and there it was in daylight - so Pete went out and studied it and solved the mystery.

Give Bill - or indeed his mama or Tina a ring - I bet they'll tell you it is that - but also bet they'll offer to look at it for you if you're not convinced.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Thinking about it now, maybe it was behind my head rather than above it! The back is sort of "recessed" in the middle, with the lights at the sides and an overhang at the top and the "bumper" at the bottom. I bet it was dripping off the overhang onto the bumper! :D2. :thanks3:everyone.

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Diggerdi

Bet your last comment is the answer. We have the problem of a dripping sound. If the van is parked sloping towards the back the rain off the roof drips off a seam joint about 1/4 of the way down the back wall and lands on the rear light assembly. If the van is sloping forwards slightly problem solved. Its an annoying noise like the Electric plug socket flap banging in the wind.

Doug

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thinking about it now, maybe it was behind my head rather than above it! The back is sort of "recessed" in the middle, with the lights at the sides and an overhang at the top and the "bumper" at the bottom. I bet it was dripping off the overhang onto the bumper! :D2. :thanks3:everyone.
But what about the dark stain, did you manage to remove it?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back