Parallels on a Mac. Any good? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
As I understand it with Parallels you can use Windows at pretty much the same time as the Mac, as opposed to boot camp where you have choose one or the other.

Are there any other options?

I am looking at getting a MacBook as well as my Imac, it looks as though you have to pay Parallels twice (about £130) which makes it quite expensive, so it needs to be worth it.

Thanks

Steve

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Here you go (and personally, I think Fusion is much better than Parallels)

'You may install and use the Software for personal, non-commercial use on any Apple-branded products running Mac OS X ("Mac Computer") that you own or control.

If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may install and use the Software on a number of Apple-branded products running Mac OS X ("Mac Computer") that you own or control equal to the number of licenses purchased. Installing and using the Software on multiple Mac Computers with a single license is prohibited even if the computers are not running the Software concurrently.'

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Why spent money on either of these when you can use VirtualBox for free? I have tried Parallels in the past and would not go back to it. I now use VirtualBox to run Windows XP and Windows 7 on my MacBook.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Never heard of it. Thanks, will take a look.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
VirtualBox is a free download from Oracle and I run Windows XP on my MacBook. A downside is that you can't copy from it into the OSX system which can be aggravating!

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
I use Parallels on two Macs with one licence. I've used VM Fusion in the past and changed from Parallels to VM and back again, now been with Parallels for a few years. I'd never heard of VirtualBox, but if it doesn't allow copying across to the Mac it would not suit me.

With Parallels one can see the Windows drive(s) and folders from the Mac and the Mac folders from within Windows Explorer. One can drag and drop between the Mac and the virtual machine, and the clipboard is shared so copy/cut and paste between the two is supported.

The Parallels virtual machine exists as a file on the Mac system, so it can be backed up or copied in its entirety if you're careful. And one can set up multiple virtual machines for different purposes or with different operating systems if needed.

For these reasons I will stick with Parallels - it is much more stable and reliable than it used to be.

Hope this helps your decision-making!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back