Paracetamols in Europe

Feb 4, 2016
uk
MH
A class 7.5m
Exp
Several European trips.
Are parcetamol caplets freely available to buy in Europe eg. Lidl and Aldi like they are here?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
Paignton, Devon.
MH
Sadly none at present :(
Exp
4yrs
In a motorhome , in Europe you'll be fine with a large supply of paracetamol, ibuprofen etc. I used to take half a pharmacy back to France. Was once charged €6 for a pack of paracetamol ( and that's going back a few years)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Paracetamol have nothing in them that would class as a controlled substance so cause no problems. It was Tramadol which is a prescription only medication in the UK that caused problems being brought into Egypt. Would quite understandably do the same elsewhere.

Also if you buy paracetamol and codeine tablets that could cause difficulties in some countries without a prescription. North Africa, Turkey and Greece come to mind.

I haven't seen paracetamol in Lidl in Spain but if you buy it in the pharmacy ask for generico and it will be a lot cheaper. Just keep an eye on the packaging as you sometimes get 1g tablets instead of the 500mg that we're used to in the UK. I wouldn't want you taking double the dose!

I must admit I build up a supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen from home before we go as it's much cheaper. I just got caught out on our last trip when Nick's joints seemed to fall apart in sequence!

Nov 22, 2007
East Yorkshire
MH
Rapido "A" Class, Mecedes
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
All I can tell you is that SWMBO has her own Drugs need, we took them to Spain every winter for some years without issue. We often had in excess of a 4 Month supply. including 500`s of paracetamol, and even Tramadol. However we always carried her medical record and her Drug list. and the purposes for which each drug was required. We did this too for the 5 years or more we went to the USA, again without any issue. BTW, Paracetamol is NOT available in the US.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
All I can tell you is that SWMBO has her own Drugs need, we took them to Spain every winter for some years without issue. We often had in excess of a 4 Month supply. including 500`s of paracetamol, and even Tramadol. However we always carried her medical record and her Drug list. and the purposes for which each drug was required. We did this too for the 5 years or more we went to the USA, again without any issue. BTW, Paracetamol is NOT available in the US.
In the USA they call paracetamol acetaminophen or Tylenol, ibuprophen is commonly called Advil.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs or Benidorm, spain
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 2000
Be aware that you can only get limited stock even in a supermarket. Something like 2 packs, so if you plan to take a stock you may need to visit shops several times.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Be aware that you can only get limited stock even in a supermarket. Something like 2 packs, so if you plan to take a stock you may need to visit shops several times.
2 packs of 16 tablets Steve but us ladies who spend our days shopping and knitting can stock up on enough to poison most of you chaps in a very short time! I have found that if you take the bulky side effect leaflet out you can then sqeeze 32 tablets into each box to save space.

OP
Decker
Feb 4, 2016
uk
MH
A class 7.5m
Exp
Several European trips.
Yes
We have been building up our stock for a while but taking over 80 boxes looks a bit daunting

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs or Benidorm, spain
MH
A class Burstner
Exp
Since 2000
2 packs of 16 tablets Steve but us ladies who spend our days shopping and knitting can stock up on enough to poison most of you chaps in a very short time! I have found that if you take the bulky side effect leaflet out you can then sqeeze 32 tablets into each box to save space.
Now now !! We are doing our own poisoning with beer thank you very much :D

Nov 22, 2007
East Yorkshire
MH
Rapido "A" Class, Mecedes
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In the USA they call paracetamol acetaminophen or Tylenol, ibuprophen is commonly called Advil.
We where advised that Tylenol, is (their) preferred alternative, (my DIL who lives in Texas uses it for "ladies" needs, but prefers Paracetamol, SWMBO often leaves behind what she has "spare") but was not actually the same composition, and not as effective?. I do know about ibuprphen/advil. Again it is not exactly the same composition drug? so I am informed.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Bought 500mg packet 24 @1.39 in Algarve pharmacy
It's good to have some price comparisons. Those sorts of prices are fine if you just take them occasionally but if you take them regularly it soon adds up compared with 20p for 16 in Wilko at the moment for caplets. They're nice and smooth as well. I only take them occasionally but I'm a wimp!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We where advised that Tylenol, is (their) preferred alternative, (my DIL who lives in Texas uses it for "ladies" needs, but prefers Paracetamol, SWMBO often leaves behind what she has "spare") but was not actually the same composition, and not as effective?. I do know about ibuprphen/advil. Again it is not exactly the same composition drug? so I am informed.
It is one of those misconceptions like people insisting that Panadol is much more effective than paracetamol, the placebo effect if you like. They are chemically identical.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It is one of those misconceptions like people insisting that Panadol is much more effective than paracetamol, the placebo effect if you like. They are chemically identical.
The only thing I can think of is that the size of the tabletis different as we use an a dose of 1g for an adult in UK and Europe. The active ingredient in both is N-acetyl-para-aminophenol and the americans chose one name as their generic and we chose another. This has happened many times. So far this one hasn't changed to the american version. Whilst I find this fascinating I expect no-one else on the entire forum does!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
A bit like rubbing something on your skin to help joint pain never found it helps
I know what you mean, I can see how the gels might penetrate enough to relieve inflammation in tendons like tennis elbow where they are within 1cm of the surface. However when they show them relieving pain in hips, knees and in low backs where they are unlikely to have even penetrated the flab I just laugh.

That reminds me though, the ibuprofen gel that we got in Benidorm was
50mg/g gel which isn't even available on prescription here so that did help Nick's elbow, I was worried his skin might fall off but it was ok!

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services