Paper driving licence (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
We have valid uk paper licences not plastic photo things.
For eu travel an eu licence was required (photo version) post Brexit we need a license valid in country of origin. Am i correct in thinking my paper licence is now acceptable? Has the need for additional international licences been clarified and what is the situation?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Most countries now need a international driving permit
Source

Having an IDP would make your type of UK licence academic IMO

Are all the details still correct on your paper licence?

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
From 1 January, most UK drivers will still be able to use their normal driving licence to drive in EU countries.
There are some exceptions and what is called an International Driving Permit (IDP) may be needed.
An IDP can be bought at Post Offices for £5.50.
The exceptions are people who only have a paper licence, not a photocard one, as well as those with licences issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.
The government's advice if you are in one of these groups is to check with the embassy of the country you are planning to drive in to see if you will need an IDP, although it has also published some guidance for specific countries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
From 1 January, most UK drivers will still be able to use their normal driving licence to drive in EU countries.
There are some exceptions and what is called an International Driving Permit (IDP) may be needed.
An IDP can be bought at Post Offices for £5.50.
The exceptions are people who only have a paper licence, not a photocard one, as well as those with licences issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.
The government's advice if you are in one of these groups is to check with the embassy of the country you are planning to drive in to see if you will need an IDP, although it has also published some guidance for specific countries.
Is that your words or the BBC's?
No matter, just wonder what is meant by the "most UK drivers" bit. Is that most paper licence drivers will be OK but need to check with the countries travelling to.
Or just every driver generally.

It looks to me like more countries will want an IDP bought, but I've no plans on the horizon to drive abroad so don't need to decipher that feedback ;) :)

SteveJ

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 30, 2018
March, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 620
Exp
Since 2013
By most they mean those with photo licences, i.e. most of the UK drivers. Those with paper licences are one of the groups in the exception category.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Crystal!

So, if your driving licence is the photocard type, you're all set to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.
But if you've had no reason to update your old paperstlye driving licence - like the OP - you may need to get an IDP :rofl:

"Check with the embassy of the country you will be driving in" (from GOv UK)

OP
OP
the1andonly
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Thanks for input.
The gov advise seems to be; may need an idp. to me there is no clarity.
If my licence was not upto date then i could get a photocard free (last time i checked) but it is. Also less than 10 yrs to 70.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Crystal!

So, if your driving licence is the photocard type, you're all set to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein.
But if you've had no reason to update your old paperstlye driving licence - like the OP - you may need to get an IDP :rofl:

"Check with the embassy of the country you will be driving in" (from GOv UK)
I'd get a photo licence rather than IDP. There's about 17 different types of IDP. Each country needs a slightly different one as in each version, the name field is misplaced by a few mm, apparently making it illegible to people living a few miles away over the border. Besides, paper licences are a hassle. Too large, too fragile, and harder to hire cars.

Although I must admit, I hadn't heard that a photocard licence was enough in the EU.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Although I must admit, I hadn't heard that a photocard licence was enough in the EU.
As we approached a key Brexit date there was an expectation that all UK drivers would need IDP
But looking today for info to help the OP we’ve got actually got a better outcome for photocard holders.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
As we approached a key Brexit date there was an expectation that all UK drivers would need IDP
But looking today for info to help the OP we’ve got actually got a better outcome for photocard holders.
Looks like a Funster spotted when the IDP requirement changed in this thread.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looks like we'll need to change our paper licences to photo card ones at some point to save the hassle of IDP:

Driving in Europe​

You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a photocard driving licence issued in the UK.

You might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have either:

• a paper driving licence
  • a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man
Check with the embassy of the country you will be driving in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back