Panoramic Sky Rattle (1 Viewer)

Mar 6, 2021
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D68 PVC
Exp
A little
Our brand new van is fitted with a panoramic sky window above the cab and was a major feature in our decision to buy this particular van - it allows a huge amount of light into the van and helps to give the impression of being quite spacious.

On driving the van home after handover, I noticed that at certain speeds, the window seemed to be vibrating a lot to the extent that it was a rattle. Applying pressure with my hand above my head onto the area immediately adjacent to the edge of the window seemed to stop the rattle completely.

I don't know if it's just my imagination but it seems to have got worse and seems to be happening most of the time now rather than just at higher speed. We're also having issues with the aux air suspension which might be making the ride more harsh than it would otherwise be but I'm a little concerned that a) the noise is quite irritating and my wife is much less forgiving than me and b) if it is rattling to that extent then over time this might affect the seal.

I expected some noise when travelling in the van with so many items to move about (and I had to dampen the rack inside the oven with a towel because of the noise) but this seemed excessive to me. Thoughts? In fairness, the dealer is going to look at this as well as the aux air issues but I just wanted to check whether my expectations seem reasonable in advance of feedback from the dealer. Anyone had any similar experience?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Didn't they have a problem on one make with the seal & the roof coming open? New type of seal had to be fitted but not sure what makes?

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
There was an issue a while ago with certain Hobby motorhomes fitted with panoramic skylights over the cab, 2008-2012 I think, that had to be recalled and replaced. This was due to the skylight seals being poorly glued. My van at the time was one of those whose skylight was replaced but was asymptomatic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you've got a rattle of that severity then it won't be very long before it starts leaking.

The Globecar Summit Prime H-line models suffer badly from the same thing (as mentioned by gus-lopez above) and there's countless reports that refer to either a.) An ill fitting seal, b.) poorly fitted hinges or, c.) Where the deflector spoiler below the sky roof is either cracked or has deformed, causing wind vibrations.

It looks as if you have a Dreamer D68 PVC so I dare say that the exact same roof is being used as the one in the Globecar Prime series....

.....if that's the case then it is a well documented problem and a new seal modification should be requested from the dealer.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
B
Mar 6, 2021
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dreamer D68 PVC
Exp
A little
If you've got a rattle of that severity then it won't be very long before it starts leaking.

The Globecar Summit Prime H-line models suffer badly from the same thing (as mentioned by gus-lopez above) and there's countless reports that refer to either a.) An ill fitting seal, b.) poorly fitted hinges or, c.) Where the deflector spoiler below the sky roof is either cracked or has deformed, causing wind vibrations.

It looks as if you have a Dreamer D68 PVC so I dare say that the exact same roof is being used as the one in the Globecar Prime series....

.....if that's the case then it is a well documented problem and a new seal modification should be requested from the dealer.

All the best,

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. I've just had a quick read of one of the Globecar Prime threads. I don't think it's the same because AFAIK ours is a fixed window that does not open. However, you've confirmed my concerns about the seal and eventual leaking so thank you for that. Knowing that this is a problem which others have experienced is valuable as I will be able to check what action the dealer has taken when they come back to me to confirm that the problem has been resolved.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back