Panning on visiting Paris soon? (1 Viewer)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dunno if this has been posted before - I haven't noticed it if it has. Thought it might be of interest -

Link Removed

We'd be knackered if we got lost on a motorbike again.

Ooops! - can't change the thread title LOL

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Why would you want to visit Paris it is no more France than London is England.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Not too late to edit the title, look for the thread tools button - but be quick! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It looks like post 2000 motorbikes and scooters are exempt so you should be ok if you have to go to Paris.

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

I don't - someone else might though We didn't intend going though the centre of it the last time either - but sans Sat Nag in the dark, in the rain and with the mway exit we wanted, closed, due to road works - we got lost until we eventually found ourselves in St Denis right by the inner Peripherique - stayed in an hotel B&B we hadn't intended to overnight - and got the hell out of there again the next morning!

Not too late to edit the title, look for the thread tools button - but be quick! :)

Too late! LOL

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
"Why would you visit, Paris?"

Have you no soul?:whistle:

I agree Paris is "no more France than London is England" but it is still one of the best cities in the World to visit. Walk around it on foot, discover the backstreets, visit the authentic bars and bistros, (not the tourist ones), and watch the whole world pass by you.

We have visited cities throughout the world and it still ranks in our top three, and that is nothing to do with spending a lot of our time in France.:)

I see you live in France. You must have adopted the French disdain for Paris.;) I agree with you about Parisians, especially snooty waiters, but Paris itself is still magnificent, not counting the banlieus.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Friend of ours HIGHLY recommends a trip on the Seine in one of those 500 seater cruisers. Meal on board and come back in the dark. The ship then pirouettes 4 or 5 times in the middle of the river to let you see all the lights and the Eiffel tower etc.. About £90 each I think.
One for the future I reckon.
Thanks for the info Sedge.
Mitch.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
My RV gets a number 3 badge on petrol, change to LPG and I get a 1!:D

Last edited:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

Its main attraction is that it's not England, regardless of how much it may or may not symbolise France.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Friend of ours HIGHLY recommends a trip on the Seine in one of those 500 seater cruisers. Meal on board and come back in the dark. The ship then pirouettes 4 or 5 times in the middle of the river to let you see all the lights and the Eiffel tower etc.. About £90 each I think.
One for the future I reckon.
Thanks for the info Sedge.
Mitch.
We did the evening dinner cruise for our Anniversary one April.

Will simply say that, although we found it expensive at the time, it was a magical experience.

We told several friends who have done the same and all have loved it.

I think it is best appreciated when it gets dark enough to see the lights and illuminated buildings along the riverbanks. Probably not as magical when it is still light.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
"Why would you visit, Paris?"

My son emigrated there last week with his wife and family, good enough for me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
More important, can we get to Bois de Boulogne ? Where are the limits ?

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Having clicked on the link I posted, everyone on Fun knows EXACTLY as much as I do Brian!

Should you not be going to the Bois fairly immediately, perhaps you should wait 'for about a month' until they have the Website des Etrangers set up and running?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Looks to me like the scheme is going to start in Paris then it'll probably be extended to other cities. That's what's happening in Germany anyway.

Before too long there's going to be so many different vignettes, toll tags, and environment stickers that anyone touring Europe will need a second windscreen to stick them all on so you can still see enough to drive safely :)

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I don't - someone else might though We didn't intend going though the centre of it the last time either - but sans Sat Nag in the dark, in the rain and with the mway exit we wanted, closed, due to road works - we got lost until we eventually found ourselves in St Denis right by the inner Peripherique - stayed in an hotel B&B we hadn't intended to overnight - and got the hell out of there again the next morning!

Reading that description of your predicament, I can't help but wonder how the, "You can't beat a paper map. Why would you use a satnav" brigade might respond to that. Or the, "you only have to follow the roadsigns - it's simple" enthusiasts. :(

Wyn

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Going to the Bois de in February then round the peripherique to Epernay. I would have thought someone at the chunnel would have tried to flog me this. Do not understand the web site so fingers crossed, along with the hope that the gendarmes are doing something more useful than discouraging tourism.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Paris - fantastic city.

We love it, and visit in the MH every couple of years or so for a week or more at a time.

If you go when the big annual MH show is on at Le Bourget airport (to the NE of the city), much of the car park for the show is turned into a vast, secure MH Aire, so for from memory for just either 5 or 10 euros a night you can park there throughout the show duration.... (you don't even need to pay the additional entry fee and go into the actual show if you don't want to), but can just catch a bus into the city centre from there, or use your scooter to zip into and around the city as we do.

OP
OP
sedge

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Yeah - basically inside the INNER Periph - a strip of the Bois is inside it (the actual road itself goes under the edge-ish of the Bois) - so it absolutely depends on exactly where you are going - and of course your route getting there!

We didn't actually need a map, to get straight to our end destination that time from our house, but it was an early evening ferry so we'd boked an hotel - quite near our route.

We'd studied the map to the hotel again before we got back on it for the final half hour to our pre-booked hotel. It was already dark and then heaved down with rain. The exit being closed - we got off at the very next one - a country road without lighting onto which you could only turn left - not even access back onto the motorway again. Purely a 'local' egress road. We needed go backwards - and also get onto the OTHER side of the motorway - to finish up a bit nearer Paris, on Paris side of the outskirts of CDG Airport. We did try and fathom the roadmap in our headlamp beam, unsuccessfully.

Not a signpost to anywhere, and no turnings off the slightly wider road we came onto. After another 45 minutes of complete mystery in the dark we followed the very first sign we saw to place names we recognised - one way Orly, the other, Paris. (Orly Oh Please!. We wanted CDG !) By which time it was well after midnight.

Had a fantastic sleep until c.3am in our room on the 11th floor until a MASSIVE clap of thunder found us both suddenly sat upright in bed, asking WTF was that? of each other. Shot out of bed over to the window - hundreds of lights being switched on all over the bits of St Denis we could see - when we also noticed we were overlooking the carriageway of an elevated section of That Flipping Ring Road !

Good laugh - and back to bed - we didn't even need a map when we left ..... !

"Chapman's Horrific Tours" are a brilliant company that have been in operation for absolutely years - we always use them - always seriously good fun - and frequently bloody hilarious!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back