Panel Connection Advice (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
All my bits and pieces are here and I now have time to crack on albeit I'll not get it all done in a day...'tis forecast foe rain in the morning

I've got two 150w panels ready to mount and it shouldn't be difficult to get the cables through the roof and up to the controller. While I don't believe I need them, I've got a fuse block fitted just before the controller ( that is, between panels and controller)
If I leave the fuses out and connect the cables between panels and controller, do I need to leave the panels covered, if uncovered will I do damage? My thinking is that the fuses will act as a switch...and my temporary cardboard cover ain't going to last too long in this weather!

As always, your advice is appreciated :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The voltage between panel and controller can be between 17volts and 24volts......a 12v fuse wont last long.
place the fuse as close to the battery as possible instead.

To work on the wiring simply wrap some insulation tape around the open ends of each panel wire, removing only to make final connection....one at a time.

As long as the bare wires dont touch no damage will happen to the panels...covered or not.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The voltage between panel and controller can be between 17volts and 24volts......a 12v fuse wont last long.

To work on the wiring simply wrap some insulation tape around the open ends of each panel wire, removing only to make final connection....one at a time.

As long as the bare wires dont touch no damage will happen to the panels...covered or not.
Not true - voltage is irrelevant to a fuse. Just fuse slightly above the panels rated output in Amps. Your solution is fine - just connect the controller to the battery before you put the panel fuse(s) in. Shorting the panel output, although inadvisable because of likely sparks, will not damage the panel. Using your method this won't happen anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

sorry John a fuse is current not voltage rated, oops Tony beat me to it.

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Thank you all for the replies...pappajohn you threw me with the voltage related fuse's; caused a few head-scratching moments!

Good to know I'm on the right track for the first step, appreciated:)

If I can pick your brains again please. Once I get the whole thing cabled up (there will be fuses at leisure batt's) would the correct "switching on" sequence be:
*Fit fuses between leisure batt's and controller
*Fit fuses between panels and controllers - my "switch"

In the event the sun is shining, is it advisable to cover panels before inserting fuses between panels and controller...just thinking the panels will be be producing power and want to avoid any little accidents!

OP
OP
J
Sep 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Summer 2014
Should've read response's more carefully regarding the fusing up sequence...Tony's reply answered my last question, thanks!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back