Painting interior wall boards with damp patch (1 Viewer)

Patcharoonie

Free Member
Aug 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hello there guys, wondering if anyone could offer up some advice please. I recently discovered when pulling down our front bed the roof had damp patches which were quite bad. I did a damp test and managed to find the problem area which was a leak coming in from a perished seal on the radio aerial on the roof. I've since repaired the leak (Sikflex 512) and all the roof wallboards are now bone dry thankfully. Problem I now have is the damp staining.

I would like to paint it but have no idea which is the best paint to use. Would I need an undercoat first? The roof on the rest of the van is an off-white colour so ideally like to keep it as close to that colour as possible. Just not sure what best, oil based, emulsion, matt, vinyl, eggshell etc etc.

Appreciate any guidance....

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Start with oil based primer (2 coats) followed by matt emusion mixed to the colour.

We have used this method in one of our previous moho's with complete success .. still good after a couple of years.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Stainblocker paint, Screwfix or Toolstation as first coat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Zinser bin primer its shellac based and seals well. I would give it 2 coats they have it at screwfix

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I painted a roof after washing a stain off which looked worse after my washing 😁😳It was sealed with a watery PVA and then 4 coats of vynil emulsion half white and half magnolia. I used a four inch roller and cut in with a 1 inch paintbrush ...took around 20 /30 mins a coat with 5 hours drying the between coats 😉 After doing this over 2 days it looked smart 👍I always thought after I could have over boarded it all in a couple of hours 😁😉 On the plus side a couple of days later I pulled the blind out and painted that so everything matched 👍👍

OP
OP
Patcharoonie

Patcharoonie

Free Member
Aug 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks very much guys for your advice. I've now bought Zinser BIN stain cover and plan to start this week. Will send before and after shots. It probably would be easier buying new roof boards but trying to find original Rapido ones on the net proved fruitless. Cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back