Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi all
This is probably a daft question but..............
Do RV and motorhome manufacturers use any sort of standard for the paint colours that they use. I have today spent ages with the Halfords colour match books trying to get a touch up paint for our Rockwood and in the end I chose a Fiat colour because it looked very close, well that was in the shop anyway.... Once I had applied a bit it is very slightly out, not by much but it is annoying to me and I want to get the right colour match.
I know that Hymer have a site where you can look up specific colours (except for the grille for some unknown reason......) and wondered if such a site exists for American Recreational Vehicles?
Hope someone can give an answer :Smile:

Keith

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Keith,
I'm sure in my local Halfords, they do a colour match paint mixing service.
I've seen customers bring in a colour sample and they put it in this machine which gives them the individual colour mix for the paint they require.
I have metallic stripes on mine that I need to match up.
Might give them a try and see if it works.:whatthe:
Do you need a lot of paint or is it just for touching up chips, scratches etc?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Keith

I too went to Halfrauds to buy some paint, I took a sample and like you I thought I had the perfect match.. :eek: but it was just a tad on the light side.
They can only do exact matches if you have a code. :Confused:
I was hoping they had a spectrometer that could match from a sample..some hope ..:roflmto::roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You may all be interested to learn, in the vehicle re finishing trade paint colour match is 40% skill and 60% luck, this 40% is learned over many years of practise, and customers are often amazed when i point out that there "pure red" is in fact a blue or yellow based red and its oly when shown the mixing formula do they belive that the red in question does indeed contain blues and yellows. All paint manufactures have colours made in shade 1,2,and 3, and the painter has to decide what to order, based on age fade,many vehicles are often painted/repaired using completly the wrong colour because that match is better than the original in, shade 1,2, or 3, in almost all cases a repair to a panel involves a fade out procedure and the repair canot be seen becaue you are looking in the wrong place for the match (crafy arn't we),
Most of todays paints are designated by the manufacturer as full respray only colours ie a match canot be gauranteed even by the manufactures and in particular metalic paints have always been full respray only, but over time we have learend how to get a very close match when reqd,
So you see when someone pops into Halfrauds and askes for a colour match or spectrometer reading, I just have to smile::bigsmile:
Good luck Keith you will need it
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And you will notice I never once mentioned the spoty faced assistant with 96 A levels, scratching his head::bigsmile:
my youngest will Kill me he works at our local branch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ah any chance of a pic

headuparse.jpg

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
The approach I took was to find out where the local bodyshops bought their paint from, and had confidence in, then after a phone call drove the RV down to the paint supplier where they spent about 45 minutes matching a paint mix against that on the RV - they were spot on. You'll never get anything out of a pot that matches because of sun fade so best to get a mix based on your actual colour and type of paint. Buy more than you need - its easier to mix larger quantities - they can even put some in an aerosol for later touch ups.

Adria 5

Free Member
Jul 23, 2007
Funster No
MH
adria caravan
Exp
hi :eek: you daft b**** :roflmto:

This site makes me smile :Smile::Smile:

::bigsmile: ray

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Hi Keith
Superk got it spot on the only way to exact match it is local spray shop supplier
cos they can mix it and allow for fade and weathering it would be a good idea if you could take a piece the painted area with to the shop
good luck mate

or you could spend some of your ill gotten gains on a full rerspray
:roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
TestPoster
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi and thanks to you all for the replies.
Tony, if this year had been a better one, workwise, I would be looking at a newer RV mate, not worrying about a few chips and scratches :roflmto:
Maybe Geo can do the job for me???? (always worth a sneaky beg in my opinion....:roflmto:)
If I think about this too long I may well end up considering having the bottom half, including the locker doors, painted white to match the rest of the RV, but then I would probably want to remove the decals and have fresh new graphics made up and applied, where does it all end??????

Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back