Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi often when i try to access a thread I get the header but underneath a blank page :Eeek: I am on a laptop running a t-mobile dongle. This happens to my hubby (ksebruce) he is n a desktop running a 3 dongle. Both of us are on IE7 running Vista. Does this happen to others? :Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The pages on some sites can be very slow .. if the signal on the dongle is weak or if your only on gprs.

does it happen when you open other less populated pages like the google search page ?

OP
OP
M

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
The pages on some sites can be very slow .. if the signal on the dongle is weak or if your only on gprs.

does it happen when you open other less populated pages like the google search page ?

Hi, both dongles are on HSDPA and it can happen on any thread thing is it's only on Fun :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Have you checked whether allowing pop-ups is enabled in the security settings ? If not, try this, it sometimes helps when you have page display problems.

Laurie

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a similar experience from time to time (desktop PC, Windows XP, IE7, Virgin Media cable) and not just on Fun.

Totally unscientific observation suggests that the slow response occurs on sites which gather some of their page content from advertisement servers such as Googleads.

Graham

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You've hit it on the head Graham.

Google Ads, Google Analytiics and Google syndication all load up and can sometimes take a fair time.Just looking at the page content loading over the last few months seems to verify this.

Still It's all good revenue to cover site costs.Without them, and the sponsors, the site might well not be free.

I found it like watching Paint dry when I was relying on the T_Mobile dongle a month ago.That, and the compressed (data) page displayed.

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Try a lightweight Browser.I prefer Cometbird.

You can turn functionality of Internet explorer on and off.

I'd look at the page cacheing, multimedia settings etc in Internet Explorer/Internet Options/Advanced.

Browsers often look to refresh pages every time they are opened without referring to the cache.

Loading another browser would also prove whether it is a Browser issue.

You might just get to like it.It works for me.Was much quicker on the T mobile at loading.

Download - CometBird - a lightweight, powerful and fast web browser

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Think we'll live with it for now. Don't really want to change browser as it only happens on Fun. Thanks for the replys. ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just happened to me.......took ages to load the actual page but the header was very quick .
we have a slow connection here at times, or should that be most times.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I have had a similar problem with slow loading pages - even on my own web site. I am on Vista, explorer 7, three dongle on hspda.

I almost invariably re-boot the three dongle connection and solve the problem.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
Narrowing it down, it seems to happen after I've posted a reply in a thread. Page then won't load till there are two or three more responses :Eeek:

I've left the page up for hours and all I get is the "Fun" header and at the bottom of the page it says "done" Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Ken,

I would be interested is if does it on another Browser Ken.

You dont have to make it the default and you still have Internet explorer to fall back on.

Just open Cometbird, Firefox or chosen browser from the icon on the start menu/desktop and give it a try on Motorhomefun.:thumb:

BTW AS in the earlier post by Moandick, you CAN get a bad connection to a mobile connection and a restart can make the connection faster.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If the pages look loaded. and all the posts and graphics are in place but the spinney thing is still twirling where the little orange motorhome should be, that is more than likely caused by Google's servers. It is serving up tens of millions of context sensitive adverts at any one time and sometimes its a bit slow, understandably.

If you have a page with just the header and its reporting "done" then I seem to remember having that happen to me ken, its a browser issue, but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.

Standby, I'll rack my brains, it wont take long::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font VendĂ´me
Exp
Since 2004
If the pages look loaded. and all the posts and graphics are in place but the spinney thing is still twirling where the little orange motorhome should be, that is more than likely caused by Google's servers. It is serving up tens of millions of context sensitive adverts at any one time and sometimes its a bit slow, understandably.

If you have a page with just the header and its reporting "done" then I seem to remember having that happen to me ken, its a browser issue, but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.

Standby, I'll rack my brains, it wont take long::bigsmile:

That's it Jim. ::bigsmile: Standing by. I'll have to wait for a couple more posts till I can get back on the thread tho :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just thought could you PM me if you remember the solution?::bigsmile:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
That's it Jim. ::bigsmile: Standing by. I'll have to wait for a couple more posts till I can get back on the thread tho :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Just thought could you PM me if you remember the solution?::bigsmile:

I thought I remembered this being a browser setting issue - if not the pop-ups mentioned earlier, then try checking in the internet settings for scripting and enable that, close everything down and restart and try again.....

Laurie

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
MH Fun site is one of the slowest forum sites that I use. Its only because of the content that I stick with it :thumb:

I suspect its something to do with bandwidth at the server end rather than any problem between.

Rgds

edit just add that at the time of writing, therewere 198 users/ guests on line.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
when mine plays up on broadband
( 4.9 miles from the exchange just get b.b)
or on my three dongle i press the refresh button
quite often my tower locks up works on aol too
i use a few browsers not all at the same time
opera
googlchrome
firefox
internet explorer
aol

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Try a lightweight Browser.I prefer Cometbird.

You can turn functionality of Internet explorer on and off.

I'd look at the page cacheing, multimedia settings etc in Internet Explorer/Internet Options/Advanced.

Browsers often look to refresh pages every time they are opened without referring to the cache.

Loading another browser would also prove whether it is a Browser issue.

You might just get to like it.It works for me.Was much quicker on the T mobile at loading.

Download - CometBird - a lightweight, powerful and fast web browser

Just tried this on my Toshiba netbook. It is definitely noticeable faster at loading fun pages than IE. I shall make a point of using it when I have a slow connection.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Is it possible for the user - ie me - to disable Googleads on just one particular site, ie MHF ?

I have no trouble whatsoever with any other website or forum and no, rebooting the stupid router etc doesn't cure it for any longer than approx a minute at a time. I've had to give it the 3 fingered salute 12 times this morning. It's becoming very tedious indeed.

I know the Ads are there. If I ever think I might want to buy anything I can turn em back on. eg this page - Ash - got his phone no anyway thanks; Mitsubishi Colt - don't want one; nor a Nature Pure water filter; nor a Fiat from Brownhills; don't want to go to Marjal; don't want me engine remapped by WOW; not likely to be anywhere near John's Cross (though I would drop in if I was, I like window shopping); don't want me electrickery etc from edf; I know where Pecks Hill is if I need Geo; I'm already aware of the Big Pitch guide. Furthermore, if I ever did need to get in touch with any of em - I could ruddy well Google them!! LOL

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back