Paella (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Before I left France I said I would show my way of making paëlla to Ivy who obviously was very interesting in eating a proper one . May be a lot of you know how to make one, so to those , i am not pretending of course that it is the best way to make it... just my way . As my grand mother was a pure "catalane" i guess it is a catalane way of making it.

Anyway , since then a few other funsters seemed to be interested in seeing how to make it .
As i need fish and sea food and don't have any room in the hymer's fridge to keep them fresh i guess the best way is to buy the food and cook it straight away . The only suitable day for everyone seems to be tomorrow afternoon . So I will be on Ambilkate 's pitch(number C 024) at about 4.30 to make one, and will be delighted to share it with everyone ! Mind you don't rely on it to be your main evening meal as you are quite a lot, still you should be able to have a big tea spoon of it to taste it:roflmto:Come with your chair and may be a piece of paper and a pen to write down whatever seems to you important to remember and ..... a bag of laughs .... and let's hope it will be a nice one !!!!!::bigsmile:

See you tomorrow!!!:winky:

Frankie:Cool:

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Before I left France I said I would show my way of making paëlla to Ivy who obviously was very interesting in eating a proper one . May be a lot of you know how to make one, so to those , i am not pretending of course that it is the best way to make it... just my way . As my grand mother was a pure "catalane" i guess it is a catalane way of making it.

Anyway , since then a few other funsters seemed to be interested in seeing how to make it .
As i need fish and sea food and don't have any room in the hymer's fridge to keep them fresh i guess the best way is to buy the food and cook it straight away . The only suitable day for everyone seems to be tomorrow afternoon . So I will be on Ambilkate 's pitch(number C 024) at about 4.30 to make one, and will be delighted to share it with everyone ! Mind you don't rely on it to be your main evening meal as you are quite a lot, still you should be able to have a big tea spoon of it to taste it:roflmto:Come with your chair and may be a piece of paper and a pen to write down whatever seems to you important to remember and ..... a bag of laughs .... and let's hope it will be a nice one !!!!!::bigsmile:

See you tomorrow!!!:winky:

Frankie:Cool:

Thanks Frankie, count us in, we will be there, anything you need, give us a shout and I will get it.

Lesley

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you Frankie, sounds good to us.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Frankie

Sounds good, if we need to pick up anything for it tomorrow let us know.

Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Frankie, I would love to know how to cook an authentic Paella, see you tomorrow, let me know if you need anything.

Ginny and Mike

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
That's good. Do you need me to bring anything? ::bigsmile:

Ivy

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Ok everything is now bought .... but i might need a bit of normal oil to fry the chicken as i bought olive oil for the sea food but forgot about the chicken ... then I thought we woud have enough in the van and ... JJ just told me we have got just a little ! Otherwise all is fine and will be ready to cook at 4.30:Cool:
YUMMY!!!::bigsmile:

Frankie::bigsmile::winky:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Frankie

Thankyour for an excellent demonstration and the most tastiest Paella I have ever tasted.

Please let us contribute some money as it must have costed you a fortune.

Pat and Neil

Feb 16, 2010
Newport, Gwent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2002(previously 25 years caravaning
Merci Frankie - That Paella was fabulous - you did a great job and you worked really hard - Merci Boco:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Frankie, thank you for showing us your way of making a Paella it was delicious, a brilliant demonstration and singing thrown in as well a really enjoyable afternoon. :thanks::clap:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
A BIG BIG THANKYOU FRANKIE

we loved the paella

:thumb:​

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Loved the paella and the lesson, thank you so much. Plus, I got off of cooking an evening meal, yay ::bigsmile: Jane (and Bob)

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hiya All!

I was meant to give the receipe of the paella so here you are!

For 4 people:

Ingredients: 1 big red pepper (I always choose it dark red, nearly black, it does not taste the same if it is a light red).

1 big green pepper (same think than for the red one , take it as dark as possible).
1 big onion

1 tin of tomatoes cut into little cubes.
1 tin of peas (i always take tin of peas because their juice is sweet and take rid of the bitter of the tomato)

4 pieces of chicken
500grs of mussles (with the shells)
about 300grs of shrimps without shell
about 300grs of prawns
about the same of scipions (vey small calamars)
and a piece of white seiche (which is a sort of calamar but really bigger.... cuttlefish??? don't know if it is the right word)
And about 6 king size prawns to decorate along with the mussles in their shells
Long white natural rice (not basmati or anything like it)

Salt, pepper, olive oil , normal oil, herbes de provence, safran or if you can't find any curcuma (you 'll find this one either in Spain and in France), and soft paprika.

You can either fry your bits of chicken in normal oil or cook them in the oven.

In a big paella pan you cook first the peppers that you have previously cut into square bits + the onionsThey are better on hight fire but they need to cook gently and slowly now and then. You must stir them quite often so they don't get burnt which would spoil all the paella!! . When they got soft (check with a knife) then add half of the tomato tin. keep stiring and add "herbes de provence" all over. When it is well mixed up , put it in a dish and save it for later
Then , in the same paella pan, put about 3 or 4 tea spoon of olive oil in your pan and cook one by one all the sea food. Salt them a lot so it gives a better taste to the paella. When they are turning gently into a golden colour them keep them out of the fire and save them for later . Add olive oil each time you are cooking a new ingredient . if there is too much sea water in you pan , them take it out with a spoon and save it for later to give more taste to the rice.
Once all the sea food have been cooked and saved apart you can put back the peppers in the pan .

You then put the rice in the pan (you might have to add a bit of olive oil as the rice must be greasy!!) i put about 2 full hands of rice per people. When there are a lot I add 2 more hands full "for the pan". Then you put one or 2 little doses of safran (they are usually sold in small doses...if not put them a small coffee spoon of it or a spoon full of curcuma. and half a spoon of paprika. Stir until all the rice is greasy and becomes clear. Then cover with water, and stir now and then , add the tin of peas, all your sea food , sea water, chicken bits and keep it on fire at least 20 minutes.Add water now and then if the juice seems too thick. Taste the rice to see if it's cooked . 5 minutes before the end you add the mussles they you have warmed in a pan so they open nicely to decorate the top of the paella, and as well the kisng size prawns ..... ready ..... Bon appétit !:winky:

I hope i didn't forget anything !
Ask away if you don't get everything (sometimes my english is quite bad!!!:Blush:)

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
No - that was just fine Frankie and very clear. I can't wait to try it at home, but I will need to get a big paella pan, or maybe a wok would do? Thank for your hard work.

Amicalement. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you Frankie, you explained it perfectly, I look forward to giving it a try. :Smile:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
No - that was just fine Frankie and very clear. I can't wait to try it at home, but I will need to get a big paella pan, or maybe a wok would do? Thank for your hard work.

Amicalement. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

Superb Paella pans in the Chinese shop here in Catral ! Go for the enamel ones, not the steel !!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Thank you Frankie for showing us how to cook your delicious paella and also for posting the recipe .. Look forward when home to having a go :thumb::thumb:

Kath xx

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back