Padstow Cornwall parking (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I understand that Padstow Council in Cornwall is allowing o/n parking for MH's in their car park. This info may have been on this site. BUT it would be nice if some of us could write to Padstow Council and thank them. (I have just done that)

e-mail: Julia.downey@padstow-tc.gov.uk

colyboy

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I always parked up at the end of the harbour carpark. Did it for years when I went to the Obby Oss in May. I thought it was always allowed. Just goes to show, if you dont ask you sometimes get :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I always parked up at the end of the harbour carpark. Did it for years when I went to the Obby Oss in May. I thought it was always allowed. Just goes to show, if you dont ask you sometimes get :)
Thought the same, was there a couple of years ago and someone told us you could park there over night, didn't as we had booked elsewhere but parked all day

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thought the same, was there a couple of years ago and someone told us you could park there over night, didn't as we had booked elsewhere but parked all day
Am not sure how long, but have been parking at the far end for over 15 years now.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011

Any chance of directions/coordinates?

Rob

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the bottom car park is probably the only one level enough for a night's sleep. I've parked in one at the top of the town but it was severely sloping..

Of course in summer you will struggle to find a space anywhere!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Any chance of directions/coordinates?

Rob
From memory, keep driving downhill until you reach the harbour then turn right and follow the signs. It's just past RS's chippie.

OP
OP
colyboy
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Sorry, re the car parks in Padstow!!!!. It seems that it is not the parks controlled by Padstow Council but by Cornwall Council. They refer to :-

Link Road car park, Padstow Harbour (controlled by the Harbour commissoners) plus in the summer there two fields with Park and Ride.

colyboy

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just looked at the council website says you cant stay overnight!!!!!!

David

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Padstow Town Council controls two car parks in the town, Lawn and Railway, other car parks being controlled by Cornwall Council.

The Broken Link Removed contains only a link to the parking order appendix. That refers to parking for 24 hours being allowed but the detail of whether or not habitation of any type, or at any time, is allowed will be in the main body of the order. I've sent an enquiry asking for clarification.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've had a very prompt response from the Town Clerk of Padstow Town Council. Unfortunately overnighting in motorhomes is not allowed in their car parks. Full details copied to the South West England page Here.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Its clearly a case of. If you dont ask, you wont get a refusal :sneaky:. That policy has worked for me for many a Hobby Oss weekend. They have far more important things to worry about on the 1st May.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Its clearly a case of. If you dont ask, you wont get a refusal :sneaky:. That policy has worked for me for many a Hobby Oss weekend. They have far more important things to worry about on the 1st May.
I take your point, Dave, but with the emphasis on controls increasing in some areas it is better to be forewarned than to wake up to a fine :)

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
I think the bottom car park is probably the only one level enough for a night's sleep. I've parked in one at the top of the town but it was severely sloping..

Of course in summer you will struggle to find a space anywhere!

Too right! We were there on Thursday in half term, I couldn't believe how busy it was. Took us ages to park 'Addie', finally managed to park in one of the 3 MH spaces in the bottom harbour car park. Visited Padstow Touring Park at top of the hill on our way back to Newquay just to suss it out for future visit. Very nice people, the shower block has just been refurbished. Thought we might go in May for the Hobby Horse festival. You can walk to Padstow directly from the Park apparently, approx a mile I think. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've had a very prompt response from the Town Clerk of Padstow Town Council. Unfortunately overnighting in motorhomes is not allowed in their car parks. Full details copied to the South West England page Here.
But that only covers "their" car parks? There are others not controlled by them from what I understand from the earlier posts.

I like Snowbird's approach in the absence of councils coming out, so to speak.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The harbour carpark is often used by refrigerated trucks for overnighting. This is the one where trucks load the catch. If the fishing has not been good they can be there a couple of days I would presume. I have been parked on the harbour for up to 4 days with no problems, but I must add I have been"parked" not camped. No chairs or tables out. I have used the restaurants and pubs there, so would be helping the local economy. Not that Rick Padstien needs any help nowadays.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But that only covers "their" car parks? There are others not controlled by them from what I understand from the earlier posts.

I like Snowbird's approach in the absence of councils coming out, so to speak.
True, but the Cornwall Council one mentioned previously is definitely no overnighting, as are all their car parks.

Dave has obviously been OK in the past but Google searching brings up documents from the Harbour Commissioners showing concerns about parking in general - for example "WJ said he didn’t think free car parking was a good idea as camper vans etc can take advantage" - and, as a result they have employed a private company to enforce the parking fines (enforceable as they result from byelaws).

I've no idea what (if any) private car parks they are and whether they have site licences like Tintagel car parks have.

That's why I said it is better to be forewarned than to wake up to a fine.

pamie

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
I'm a newbie
Too right! We were there on Thursday in half term, I couldn't believe how busy it was. Took us ages to park 'Addie', finally managed to park in one of the 3 MH spaces in the bottom harbour car park. Visited Padstow Touring Park at top of the hill on our way back to Newquay just to suss it out for future visit. Very nice people, the shower block has just been refurbished. Thought we might go in May for the Hobby Horse festival. You can walk to Padstow directly from the Park apparently, approx a mile I think. :)
We were there in september yes you can walk it from the site you come out at Tesco's then down the hill, no good if you have prams or bikes that way you can't get them through, we did the walk next day took the bikes the road way did the camel trail then had to get back up the very steep hill nearly killed us would not do it again, another pluss was you could take dogs into the consevatory restaurant

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back