Pace 1000 mini sky box (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
My sky box is placed inside a cupboard, so it's operated using a magic eye. The type I've been using is a standard sky link that's readily available from Ebay...but I've had 2 of these and both are very prone to not working.
Although the red led on the sky link will light up indicating power is coming from the RF outlet of the receiver, the remote, more often than not, will not work for at least 30 mins.

I'm now contemplating using a 'remote control extender' which requires a USB fed 5v supply.
Looking on Ebay these appear to be ok:

• s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg

• s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • 9034dedc1ff9a3ccb4ee991df74066c8.jpeg

What are the experts thoughts ?

regards

Allen

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Remove magic eye receiver module from sat, extend it to somewhere useful? I've done a couple & it's easy enough.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I assume this is in your Motorhome, so distance should not be an issue but you do need Line-of-Site for the infa red beam. This can bounce off surfaces, and I find it works fine provided the door of the cupboard containing the SkyBox is open. Are the batteries in your remote fresh?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
I would check the connections to the eye and try another remote. If it is a "branded" Skye eye they normally work for years. The minibox may now have issues with the P/S as they are now quite "mature". The power light on the remote eye only indicates power, not a signal back to the box for control. Maybe go back to basics first?
Goos luck.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Remove magic eye receiver module from sat, extend it to somewhere useful? I've done a couple & it's easy enough.

I think this would be the ideal solution, but a beginner's guide would be useful. More info please!

Regards
Allen

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
I assume this is in your Motorhome, so distance should not be an issue but you do need Line-of-Site for the infa red beam. This can bounce off surfaces, and I find it works fine provided the door of the cupboard containing the SkyBox is open. Are the batteries in your remote fresh?

Batteries are fresh, and I've even used a spare remote, but still won't work properly.
The receiver is fixed to an inside wardrobe wall, and leaving the door open trick doesn't work from where I'm sat (front of van) to wardrobe (at the rear).

Regards
Ă€llen

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
I would check the connections to the eye and try another remote. If it is a "branded" Skye eye they normally work for years. The minibox may now have issues with the P/S as they are now quite "mature". The power light on the remote eye only indicates power, not a signal back to the box for control. Maybe go back to basics first?
Goos luck.

All connections appear ok...remote swapped...batteries are fresh. Don't know what P/S is.

Allen

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Batteries are fresh, and I've even used a spare remote, but still won't work properly.
The receiver is fixed to an inside wardrobe wall, and leaving the door open trick doesn't work from where I'm sat (front of van) to wardrobe (at the rear).

Regards
Ă€llen
When you say fixed to the wall, do you mean the “feet” are against the vertical wall so the infa red receiver is pointing up or down? If so it may be effective to fit a sheet of reflective material at 45deg to reflect the ir beam on to the sensor

Last edited:
OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
When you say fixed to the wall, do you mean the “feet” are against the vertical wLl so the infa red receiver but is pointing up or down?

The receiver is mounted to a wall, with the I/R bit facing the door opening.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Methinks you are making it too complicated, something is wrong. I would try changing both the RF lead between the sky box and the receiver and the receiver to tv if it is not a plug straight in type one. I have seen many times the light on, but nothing working that has been solved this way. A simple lash up with new cables, would give you an indication. The Pace 1000 box, although old works almost forever. I still have two spares. :)

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
P/S is power supply.
Try connecting the eye directly to the back of the receiver, cover up the remote eye on the sat box and try the remote with the eye. Most of them break where they are connected on the lead / TV connection. If they remote works with the eye directly connected to the sat rec then it is the cable / connections that are the issue. If it doesn't work connected directly the sat box RF IR link is duff or the eye is faulty.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think this would be the ideal solution, but a beginner's guide would be useful. More info please!

Regards
Allen
Details depend on the satbox but it's simply a case of finding it behind the front panel then removing it & extending the 2 or 3 wires. Find a small transparent / translucent box to mount it. The device is tiny & can be hidden anywhere. The wires can be thin too so a small exit from the satbox is easy to find (or make).

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I have used a usb powered magic eye for several years, big advantage is your original pace box remote will operate all functions.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
P/S is power supply.
Try connecting the eye directly to the back of the receiver, cover up the remote eye on the sat box and try the remote with the eye. Most of them break where they are connected on the lead / TV connection. If they remote works with the eye directly connected to the sat rec then it is the cable / connections that are the issue. If it doesn't work connected directly the sat box RF IR link is duff or the eye is faulty.

Tried all of the above...still not working!

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Details depend on the satbox but it's simply a case of finding it behind the front panel then removing it & extending the 2 or 3 wires. Find a small transparent / translucent box to mount it. The device is tiny & can be hidden anywhere. The wires can be thin too so a small exit from the satbox is easy to find (or make).

Thanks. I'll take the 'lid' off the receiver and look for the sensor & connecting wires...this is my preferred solution if I can make it work.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
I have used a usb powered magic eye for several years, big advantage is your original pace box remote will operate all functions.
Did you use a mains powered USB or 12v USB?

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
I wired and fitted a double usb socket 12v supply via a switch and fuse in the overhead locker where I fitted the freeview box.
The IR extender I've been looking at require a 5v USB feed...hence the 12v to 5v dropper in my original post...I'd be interested in the exact kit you've been using.

Allen

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Have you tried the remote on it's own without the eye, try direct to the box first.

Remote works great direct to the receiver...but the receiver position is fixed on a wall inside the wardrobe hence the requirement for an IR extender.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Tried all of the above...still not working!
Sorry to hear that.
In that case either the eye or the receiver is faulty. Do you have another Sky box to try the eye on?
Without trying to state the obvious is the power on to the rf output? Some of the older stuff (memory fading too many beers) used to turn off the power to the rf output if it detected a short and would need a reboot to get it in again.
Sure we can sort this

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Sorry to hear that.
In that case either the eye or the receiver is faulty. Do you have another Sky box to try the eye on?
Without trying to state the obvious is the power on to the rf output? Some of the older stuff (memory fading too many beers) used to turn off the power to the rf output if it detected a short and would need a reboot to get it in again.
Sure we can sort this
Some sky boxes have 2 RF outputs. One has the 5V, the other does not

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Sorry to hear that.
Sure we can sort this
I/R sensor works good pointing the remote directly at it, so it's got to be the eye, which does respond after a hefty delay, which was over an hour this morning!
RF output is switched on.

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
The Pace 1000 mini sky box has just the one RF output, and it's 9v. I've put my meter on this, both at the back of the receiver box, and on the cable as it's connected to the TV, and 9v is shown in both places.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
If it is delayed by an hour (that's a record AFAIK) then it maybe the ir chip in the Pace rec. However I would still be tempted to try another eye or put that eye on a known working receiver.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
The Pace 1000 mini sky box has just the one RF output, and it's 9v. I've put my meter on this, both at the back of the receiver box, and on the cable as it's connected to the TV, and 9v is shown in both places.
Yes, 9v not 5. Sorry didn’t mean to confuse

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
If it is delayed by an hour (that's a record AFAIK) then it maybe the ir chip in the Pace rec. However I would still be tempted to try another eye or put that eye on a known working receiver.
The I/r sensor in pace box responds immediately if the remote is pointed directly in front of it....I think it's the eye...but I want to replace it with different make..which one?

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Been a while since I was doing this on a daily basis but we used to use a version of this one.
http://cpc.farnell.com/triax/370228/link-eye-compact-f-connector/dp/AP02872?CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-TRIAX-AP02872&gross_price=true&mckv=sZiBH51sO_dt|pcrid|224680055011|kword||match||plid||pid|AP02872|&gclid=CjwKCAiAj53SBRBcEiwAT-3A2F3Io3DBIFsVZA0jD_ciAqUiowikB99YolYjM79ErfH-psuOh3-LmRoC84kQAvD_BwE

F connectors are much more secure than push on UHF jobbies so you know the eye is getting the voltage and hopefully a good return path for the IR signal.
Trials are a good brand but any of the branded remote eyes should be OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back