P740 axle weights (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Hi
Does anyone know the axle weights with the 4400kg chassis.
Is there enough spare for a 128kg motorcycle in the garage?
Read someone said they were the same as the 3.5t.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You should be able to see from the weight plates on the van. The acid test will be putting it over a weighbridge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And don't forget......the further behind the rear axle the higher the load imposed by the bike due to the lever/fulcrum effect.
That 128KG bike could impose a load of 175kg or more on the axle if sat 4 or 5 feet behind the axle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi
Does anyone know the axle weights with the 4400kg chassis.
Is there enough spare for a 128kg motorcycle in the garage?
Read someone said they were the same as the 3.5t.

You will have 2400kg assigned to the rear axle on a 4.4T chassis but your scooter at circa 175-185kg will be a challenge.

David (@Wissel ) did a cracking breakdown of his proposed running weights @ 4.4T so you may wish to consult his numbers to see if the axle weight will accommdate such a heavy lump in the garage.

All the best,

Andrew

P.S. Is 125kg the dry weight?

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
125kg is the wet weight of a Honda 125 bike.
Aim for that to go in the Garage, Then see how much weight I have left to play with.
Thought that with a heavy chassis the axle weights would go up as well.
Thinking of fitting in the motorbike, couple of bikes, chairs and table and inflatable canoe.
the canoe could go in the cab for travelling though and see about the bikes, maybe small folding bikes that would fit into a bag and also go forward in the cab.
Looking to get the MH next autumn with the HW chassis and airtop suspension.
Any other suggestions or advice when I do order it?
I am thinking of the other options, is it worth getting them as a Pilote fit or doing it later.
Options that I am thinking of
Solar panels
Sat dish
alarm from Vanbitz as soon as possible.
Any other options you feel good?

As I said as a few people have got Pilote's recently, any advice about the ordering process would be appreciated.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm registered @ 3.65T on a standard Fiat Camper Chassis so your rear axle allowance @ 4.4T will be 400kg better than mine - that's not a bad start.

I ran with 35kg of gear in the garage plus full fresh water (no black or grey), and basic living kit onboard and my axle weight came in recently @1900kg.

If we look at your start figures:

1. Scooter (Kerb weight): 125kg.
2. Canoe: 13kg is a good standard estimate.
3. 2 x bikes: 25kg combined.
4. 2 x chairs, 1 x table: 15kg

Total mass without fulcrum effect: 178kg (excludes ramps, jacks, tools, water, spare wheel and mount, etc).

Total with fulcrum effect: circa 250kg minimum.

Now then, if we use my own van as an example of 1900kg and remove the water and kit then the axle weight would drop from 1900kg to about 1750kg. We will use this as a start-state and then add the following weights to your rear axle figure:

1750kg plus:

1. Scooter, canoe, bikes, T&Cs: 250kg
2. Air top suspension: 14kg (varies depending on manufacturer).
3. Heavy chassis across the whole chassis load: 20kg

If you then add (optional)

4. Fresh Water only: 100kg
5. Ramps, jacks, tools, silver screen etc: 20kg minimum
6. Spare wheel and harness: 35kg (with fulcrum effect 45kg).

Total for rear axle: 2,199kg.

This figure is based on my own weights where we travel very lightly indeed.

If you then travel like normal folk then you'll be at the 2,400kg before you know it. If you travel with grey and black water onboard then you'll be hitting 2,500kg.

Conclusion: I don't offer any kind of warranty or insurance policy with this advice but I reckon your plan is more than doable with two people and a common sensical approach to payload.

All the best,

Andrew

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
Why not buy 5 packs of 25kg building sand @ ÂŁ2.25 a pack from Homebase, sling it in the back - take to weighbridge - weigh - gift sand to first builder you come across on the way home?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Why not buy 5 packs of 25kg building sand @ ÂŁ2.25 a pack from Homebase, sling it in the back - take to weighbridge - weigh - gift sand to first builder you come across on the way home?

That's a good idea but Jands will not take delivery of the van until Late next year so it's just a paper exercise at the moment.

Regards,

Andrew

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Thanks for the reply, I know that you have a similar MH so know the exact weights and not using the manufacturers figures.
I read on another forum the guy wanted to mount a slightly heavier bike on a external platform, using a similar MH, but when set up weighed it and it was too heavy for the rear axle. Did not give more detail so he could of had the garage full.
Just wanted reassurance that it should be do-able before I spend all the money on the MH.
The motorbike is important to my plans as can take me places that I might find too difficult in the MH, ie cities or if I am camped and don't want to pack up and move.
So could if necessary put items in the cabin behind the driving seats if slightly too heavy.

Any other help or advice you can think of having used the MH for some time as I will be a newbe with a big cheque !!!

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
What about an Easy Lifter Hydra Trail - end of weight problem?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I read on another forum the guy wanted to mount a slightly heavier bike on a external platform, using a similar MH, but when set up weighed it and it was too heavy for the rear axle. Did not give more detail so he could of had the garage full.

He went quiet for a reason too after it was apparent to everyone that he had severely overloaded his rear end.

In his instance he placed a 125kg scooter on the back of a huge piece of metal structure weighing in excess of 75kg easily; that's a total of between 200-225kg suspended at a distance of about 10-feet from the rear axle - wow!

I'll need to some proper sums but I reckon he has added about 400kg to his rear axle for the privilege of carrying a scooter.

The problem with the 4.4T chassis is that some guys automatically assume that it's a license to load up their MoHo with as much gear as they wish, when, IMO, the purchase of a 4.4T chassis is a bit like buying a large McDonald's meal, i.e. You think you've a got whole load extra for your money when in reality you've just had a small increase here and there.

All the best,

Andrew

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I think you may find that the ALCO 4400Kg chassis has a 2100Kg front axle and 2500Kg rear axle.

By comparison the ALCO 4250Kg chassis is 2100F/2400R.

I carry a 130Kg scooter in my garage (1m behind the rear axle) on a 4250Kg chassis and have spare capacity on the rear axle for a mountain bike, spare wheel, chairs/tables, BBQ, plus all the other basic clobber including a fair quantity of wine.

Suggest the OP confirms the wheelbase and front/rear permissible axle loads with the Dealer.

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
I think it is 2100/2400kgs axle weights.
Thank you for the replies, I think that carrying a motorbike will be ok, If after using a weighbridge I can move items for travelling.
I thought that I would be safe weight wise, just got a bit of a shock after reading that thread.
Looking at your actual weight you had 1865kg with an empty garage, so easily enough with a 125kg bike.
As you said by getting the 4400kg chassis does not give me the allowance of carrying everything due to the restrictions of axle weight.
I assume the rear axle will be the main deciding factor.
I think that the increase weight although restricted will be the difference between carrying what I want and struggling.
I expect I will end up being closer to 3500 than 4400 though.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
G'Day Jands,

I've done some actual calculations for you based on the following dimensions.

a. Wheelbase: 4040mm
b. Distance (rear axle to rear mounted scooter): 3000mm
c. Distance (rear axle to centre of garage): 1820mm
d. Kerb weight of scooter as per your opening post: 128kg.
e. Assumed weight of the scooters rear external mounting bracket : 100kg.
f. Assumed weight of internal scooter bracket in garage: 20kg.

This translates to the following:

1. The scooter, if mounted at the rear of the van, will create a 397kg mass on the rear axle but it will lighten the front axle by 169kg.

2. The scooter, if mounted in the central garage on a 20kg fixing, will create a 214kg mass on the rear axle but it will lighten the front axle by 66kg.

Hope this helps in terms of your planning etc(y)

Andrew

OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Thanks for those figures, surprising what effect distance from the rear axle makes.
Should be ok so will go ahead in the new year to order it.
Initially P740C Sensation
4400kg with airtop suspension
150hp engine
auto gearbox
cruise control
parking camera
height adjustable bed
lifting bedhead
solar panels
second battery
sat dish and tv in both sitting area and bedroom
lpg gas system possibly alugas
growler alarm.

Sure there are some things I have forgotten or not thought about.
Have to see what I will get as factory fit and what I will add later.
If anyone can think of what they find usefull/essential.
As I said any help would be much appreciated

However cant wait to start the new adventure in life.
Hope to meet other funsters eventually on the road or at rallies.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Our first van had an awning but we never used it once so when we bought the Pilote we decided to save 45kg and a wedge of money and go without.

Your spec looks good though - it will make for a very nice van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back