P&O Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry ending (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588 PL
Exp
34 Years
Just heard on my local radio station that P&O are stopping the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry in September 2010 when the contract for the Pride of Bilbao runs out. They claim the ferry has been running at a loss for a long time.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just heard on my local radio station that P&O are stopping the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry in September 2010 when the contract for the Pride of Bilbao runs out. They claim the ferry has been running at a loss for a long time.

Always too expensive for us in a MH. Of course less competition and the other services will probably hike their prices.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We found it more economic to travel on this route to the Costa Brava than to sail via France.

Ive no idea how they can be losing money, it costs an arm and a leg for a cup of coffee.

Even if that was the case, put the fare prices up.

Jim
:Smile:

net-traveller

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
Funster No
The threat has been there since P&O set up on it's own after the sale of the group to Dubai World, wonder how that's going these days.

The Poole - Cherbourg ferry is also being axed due to lack of profit.

Of course logic would say that if these routes were reasonably priced there wouldn't be a problem but greed is still good.

Various other companies have attempted to operate the Portsmouth - France/Spain routes but have fallen foul of the Maritime Safety Board. Many of the ships are been refused safety certificates and have disappeared back to the Med where it seems different standards apply.

I guess it's a case of use it (and cripple yourself financially) or lose it

:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back