P&O ferry runs aground Calais (1 Viewer)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
We had a great time down in Portugal. Going again next year. After the Railway meet .

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
My vote goes to the tunnel, nothing to do with risk, purely around ease of use and convenience. It is so much more efficient than the ferries. In fact coming back across it is so efficient you arrive before you left :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Why do people think their chosen form of channel crossing is better than someone elses? is it just to justify their own decisions to themselves?. There are pro's and cons to all ways of travelling otherwise they would all go bust but one. Each to their own.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Why do people think their chosen form of channel crossing is better than someone elses? is it just to justify their own decisions to themselves?. There are pro's and cons to all ways of travelling otherwise they would all go bust but one. Each to their own.

Cracking Response.

Problem for us is getting to the tunnel. Last trip which should be around 5 hours driving took us 13 hours. Eurotunnel charged us £79 extra as we were past the 2 hour window. We had paid by Tesco vouchers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
My vote goes to the tunnel, nothing to do with risk, purely around ease of use and convenience. It is so much more efficient than the ferries. In fact coming back across it is so efficient you arrive before you left :)

Has anyone been watching "The Channel - the World's Busiest Waterway" currently on Channel 4 (Wednesday evenings)? Episode 2 (last week) featured the tunnel and quite honestly frightened the **** out of me. The amount of additional traffic going through the tunnel now, compared to when it was built, is phenomenal and in a very small segment where a couple of Eurorail managers were talking about increasing train departures from one every four minutes (currently) to double that it appeared (to me) like neither of them thought the system could cope.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cracking Response.

Problem for us is getting to the tunnel. Last trip which should be around 5 hours driving took us 13 hours. Eurotunnel charged us £79 extra as we were past the 2 hour window. We had paid by Tesco vouchers.
That's not Eurotunnel's fault though, why did it take nearly 3 times as long to get there?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I did not say it was Eurotunnels fault!. I merely pointed out that we had to pay an additional charge?
I know you didn't, I was just commenting in case others thought that ... regardless of whether you paid with Tesco vouchers or cash they would have charged you. :(

That's why we now 'twin' with someone else so we can use the Frequent Traveller tickets as normally there are no extra charges or if there are they are minimal. :xThumb:

So why did it take so long to get to the tunnel ... too many stops for burgers? :xrofl:

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
That's not Eurotunnel's fault though, why did it take nearly 3 times as long to get there?
You only have to have a pile up on M25 which is the only realistic route for some of us and it becomes the biggest car park in the world and can soon add hours to your journey,we have experienced this couldn’t travel on the ferry we had previously booked months ahead because it was full of vehicles that had arrived late off M25 causing backups in ferry queues.... just saying our experience.gwyntaxi

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You only have to have a pile up on M25 which is the only realistic route for some of us and it becomes the biggest car park in the world and can soon add hours to your journey,we have experienced this couldn’t travel on the ferry we had previously booked months ahead because it was full of vehicles that had arrived late off M25 causing backups in ferry queues.... just saying our experience.gwyntaxi
You’re right one little accident and it all grinds to a halt. The M11 just as bad for people getting to stansted, often thought how many sitting here are going to miss their flight. A few people I know now travel from Norfolk to Gatwick the day before and stay in a hotel rather then risk the M25 being blocked.

SteveG

Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Swings and roundabouts i
guess, done tunnel
with a caravan in the past
but not so far with MH. The other day on the radio it said 5 hour delay for tunnel. Guess you never know but at least with MH delays are easier to cope with

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I take the ferry with the approach that leaving on time is a bonus, although I've rarely had significant delays. Fine with the m/h when I can have a brew or a snooze. Delays when on the motorbike are no fun, especially standing about cold and wet in the rain, so when I've had the m/h I've invited bikers into the dry for a brew and a blather which also makes the time pass quickly. Santander port has a holding area for 250 bikers and provides a covered area if needed, but that's for shade not to keep out of the rain!!
Here's a few behind us (as far as the eye can see) June 2016 waiting at Santander in blinding sun and 35 degrees

CIMG5022.JPG

and as many ahead of us
CIMG5023.JPG

Reactions: DBK
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You’re right one little accident and it all grinds to a halt. The M11 just as bad for people getting to stansted, often thought how many sitting here are going to miss their flight. A few people I know now travel from Norfolk to Gatwick the day before and stay in a hotel rather then risk the M25 being blocked.

In the Uk now that is the only way to do it.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Has anyone been watching "The Channel - the World's Busiest Waterway" currently on Channel 4 (Wednesday evenings)? Episode 2 (last week) featured the tunnel and quite honestly frightened the **** out of me. The amount of additional traffic going through the tunnel now, compared to when it was built, is phenomenal and in a very small segment where a couple of Eurorail managers were talking about increasing train departures from one every four minutes (currently) to double that it appeared (to me) like neither of them thought the system could cope.
The tunnel will never be viable and it will never make any money therefore the banks will have to take over and restructure the loans it cost to build. That is what was said at the time it started working. P&O were up in arms as the cross channel busines was going to die with the little bit of traffic being split between them and the new tunnel.
What a load of cobblers. The bankers just wanted the company to go down so they could collect on the infrastructure. which they have and are arcaking it in.. There was talk of another one being built to carry the growing market. BUT then comes Brexit where we all DONT leave the EEC just don't vot anymore.
My first Job was working as a survey assistant on the tunnel survey in 1965, THAT WAS, a long time ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back