P&O ferry runs aground Calais (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Looks like it's inside the harbour to me - somebody needs to call for a dredger.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Well hope the winds die back by Tuesday. I am booked Portsmouth to Caen....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Running aground on a soft bottom is the marine equivalent of kerbing your car, it's only when you hit something hard do you worry. They'll do an underwater inspection and all will be well.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We usually use the Tunnel because of being able to pay with Tesco vouchers and the shorter crossing time is more dog friendly.

Last week we used DFDS instead. Delayed on the way out and the way back, expensive drinks etc. on board, longer crossing in rough weather. Back to the Tunnel next time.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Personally hate the4 hour drive to the tunnel via m4 ,m3 m25 etc .so always use ferries from portsmouth ,cost effective for me and much more enjoyable .not silly enough to buy alcoholic drinks on board and food is cheap and good ..just sometimes it can be a little lumpy and I hate watching people puke ,puts me of my dinner .lol

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Been into and out of Calais harbour literally dozens of times and there's always a dredger at work somewhere in the port. There's also a long sandbank just outside the entrance - if you follow the routes the ferries take you can see where it is. Daft place to have a port but don't think there's anywhere better along that coast.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Bit like when the Steam Racket ferry hit the harbour wall in Douglas this year, you would have thought that they'd had enough practise by now!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Running aground on a soft bottom is the marine equivalent of kerbing your car, it's only when you hit something hard do you worry. They'll do an underwater inspection and all will be well.
I heard it is leaking and has lost the engine room, can't always believe the false news on the BBC though.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
If it lost the engine room I should be very surprised, that would class it as a major maritime incident. Calais harbour has a mud bottom, not a problem to any Pride class vessel. Where did you hear about this as I have received no alerts concerning the event.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I saw it on a news site, but it might be an exageration , a leak somehow, it is supposed to have hit a ramp or something like a piling and then lost power against the wind, which was very high.
Out of service until further notice, it took a long time to get the passengers off again, I do not know if the vehicles are still on board though.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
The information I have is that some hull damage has been sustained, possibly in the region of the engine room though the hull has not been breached and there has been no ingress of water. If there has been hull damage she will be out of service until this has been repaired.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes agree the tunnel does have it's share of problems - but only affected me just the once in literally dozens of crossings. Just lucky I suppose.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They were keeping some trains half loaded because of toilet mafunction. A load of punters were complaing about being kept waiting for two hours whilst they tried to offload the waiting queue, The lorries are piling up on the M20 and Dover has the usual queue back to Folkestone. Might have cleared a bit but losingh a big P&O pride of Kent didn't help along with the shXXXy weather , and wind.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I believe @scousebird was there at the time
Yes we were on the ferry due to sail after the grounded one so were stuck in Calais port for 4.5 hours before we could sail. We got free drinks very quickly and then a free meal after about 4 hours. We eventually sailed then had a fairly rough crossing (although we have been on worse). By the time we got home (15 minute drive from Dover) we had an apology email from P&O which was then followed by another email offering us either a refund for that leg of the journey or a free crossing within 12 months.

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Yes we were on the ferry due to sail after the grounded one so were stuck in Calais port for 4.5 hours before we could sail. We got free drinks very quickly and then a free meal after about 4 hours. We eventually sailed then had a fairly rough crossing (although we have been on worse). By the time we got home (15 minute drive from Dover) we had an apology email from P&O which was then followed by another email offering us either a refund for that leg of the journey or a free crossing within 12 months.
so fair play P&O did the right thing and looked after it's customers

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
The ferries are designed to cope in that weather
Running aground probably was caused by the mud shifting in the heavy seas.
If they cancelled we would moan

Has someone forgotten the Channel tunnel fires
All modes of transport carry risks
and even sleeping in your bed has risks
Get on with life
Gives you something to chat about in the pub or on the aire

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Peter
As I said all modes of transport have risks
people have died in tunnels around the world
You pays your money and you takes your choice

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's

Good to hear. Well done P&O.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back