Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Having spent a fortune on the latest Oyster Vision V system we though our tv reception problems were over. How wrong we were!

Just got the van out of storage for a trip to the lakes and put the dish up on the drive as I always do to check all is ok. Up it went and then continued to spin around like the magic roundabout with no lock on at all. Ok I though I'll do it the modern way and connect via my I pad. No connection despite a good strong signal. Ok I thought walk away and we will try it when we get to the lakes. Arrived and guess what - yep same nonsense!

So, we're £3.5k down and have had to plug into the sites own tv aerial by cable.

Anyone had similar problems?

Thanks

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Give them a call, Anthony if he's back off holiday or Pat .

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon Christoph,

Sorry to hear of your problems with the Oyster system.
The Oyster V should not spin around aimlessly as the GPS and Compass within the system give it coordinates to ascertain the exact position of Astra 2 before it begins to rotate. On the off chance that there is a GPS/Compass failure then the system will revert to a standard search in order to find the satellite however there have been no recent frequency changes so although it may not lock in the first rotation I would expect it to have found the satellite by the end of the fifth at most.

The most common problem for the system not aligning to Astra 2 is something blocking the systems line of sight to the satellite however it should still know roughly where the satellite is so should only be searching in a 90 degree rotation area.

With regards to the app not connecting properly, this could be to do with the wifi channel that the system is set to as we have had problems with interference on certain channels.
To change to a channel with no interference problems please follow these instructions:

1, Turn on the system using the control box and as the dish raises press the on/off button to stop the system
2, Use the arrow buttons to scroll across until “settings” is displayed and press tick to display “satellite settings”
3, Use the arrow buttons to scroll across to “general settings” and press tick to display “language”
4, Use the arrow buttons to scroll across to “WiFi” and press the tick to display “active”
5, Use the arrow buttons to scroll across to “channel” and press the tick to display the current channel number (usually 6)
6, Use the arrow buttons to change the number to 10 and press the tick to confirm (you may have to tick again to store.
7, Press the on/off button until “sat scan” is displayed and then press the tick to resume the satellite scan or press the on/off button to retract.

Once this has been completed you should have access to the system via your iPad.

If there is a problem with the unit it's self then you should be notified either by an error message on the control box screen or via the error log within the app providing that you have the latest software on the system. Software updates are automatically checked for every time you open the app so if you see a software notification just click ok and it will download the latest software to your device. Once that is done simply click the settings wheel on the app and click update. The system will then check the software on the system against what's on your device and if the device software is newer then you will be given a start button to start the update.

Once the update is complete then I would advise trying the system again and make sure that the satellite search is Astra 2. If it's searching for DiseqC then that will either find nothing or the wrong satellite. Watch the control unit for any error messages as well (they will turn the screen red). If you have none but the system does not find the satellite leave it spinning and check the notifications in the app by clicking the i button and then go into system info and then error messages to see a list of all errors (if any) that the system has experienced.
Note: All errors are accompanied by a code which is all I need if you do see any to advise on the problem.

If you are still experiencing difficulties the office will be open from 08:30 tomorrow morning on the number rb62 kindly posted above and I'll try to get things sorted for you over the phone.

Regards,
Anthony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Anthony, many thanks for your advise. I’ll try it again today using the info you have provided. Regards Chris

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Anthony, I have switched the system on but it rotated a dozen times and still didn't lock on. It did stop occasionally in various different places but no luck. There is a clear line of site as there was when I tried it on my drive before we left. I cant check which satellite its programmed to as I cant connect it to the internet. Will try the connection advise you sent and see what happens. Thanks

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Anthony, I have successfully changed the wi fi channel to 10. Then made sure on the ipad that its set to Astra 2. Left it spinning round no lock on but no error codes evident either, it just says searching for Astra 2. Have to pop out now but will call you later if that's ok. Thanks Chris

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Chris,

Right I have two questions....
Firstly did you check the software version of the system using the app??
The current operating software is 1,452,235
If you click the info button on the app it will be the one that says UF Version FB

Secondly it may need a reset. If you start the vehicle while the dish is open that should engage the auto retract feature (which also resets GPS calibration). Once the dish starts to close you can shut off the engine and when it's finished retracting, try it again.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Anthony,

Ok, the software is up to date.

I have found an error code in the system info so thought I best share that with you before I try to reset it. The code is 217?

Thanks

Regards

Chris

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Chris,

With the error codes it should always be a 4 digit code. Was it 0217??
0217 is not actually an error code. It's just telling you that the NVM (non volatile memory) has been reloaded.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Anthony,

I found it in system info under Fehlermeldungen it says 16:02:27 30.10.2018 (1) then under that it says Fehelercode 217? Shall I just go for the reset with engine start?

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
In the update UF version status page I've also got Feheler! keine Datei im Speicher?

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks - think I’ll need Anthony to lead me through that one!

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hmmmm I'm just wondering........ About 10 months ago the Germans updated the App but for some weird reason it wasn't an update as such but a new App completely (although looks the same and does the same thing). If you go to the app store and search for Ten-Haaft app then you should only get the one that's already installed on your iPad. If you see an app that's not installed then you have the old one and need to delete that and download the new one.

Also, as long as the app language is set to English most should be in English.
to change the language click the settings wheel, click general and check the language it's currently set to.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Ok, downloaded the new app and it’s locked on ok. Auto searched on tv and it’s pulled in lots of channels - trouble is non of them are displayed in the TV guide so no channels available. Do you think there’s some link!

Really appreciate your help with this Anthony.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Does code 2112 mean anything? It’s popped up in system info on the new app.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hey Chris, sorry for the delay.

2112 is the Level sensor giving false values. That can sometimes just be a glitch that will rectify it's self however I'd keep an eye on it just in case.
The TV guide I'm not sure to be honest. It might be worth leaving the Oyster locked and restore the TV to factory settings. Do the scan again in Satellite mode and hopefully, fingers crossed, all should come good.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
P.S on the new App might be worth just checking to make sure it's definitely on Astra 2 again. Also, when searching on the TV make sure that it's searching Astra 2 or Astra 28.2 (whichever it displays it as). There are 4 Astra Satellite clusters and each use similar frequencies so it can be misleading on searches.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks Anthony, really appreciate your time today. Have a great weekend.

Regards
Chris

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning Chris,

How did you get on? I was monitoring my account over the weekend but as all was quiet I’m hoping you managed to get everything sorted??

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Morning Anthony,

Thanks for the e mail.

I didn’t want to bother you over the weekend. We moved sites yesterday and tried to put the dish up but it wouldn’t lock on. At the last site I auto lowered they dish by starting the engine which worked. I did the same again yesterday and it locked on again. I now have another error code - 2209.

So it’s working and I’ve sorted the channel issues out but only after an auto lower.

Thanks

Chris

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Chris,

Error code 2209 is another communication error, this time with the Skew so I'm going to recommend a force reset on the Feature Box. There may be some sort of communication glitch that's causing these errors to occur and with the Skew motor, it's definitely possible that the system will fail to lock on if the LNB hasn't rotated out of it's park position.

To do the reset please follow these instructions:

1, Remove the power cable from the box
2, Press and hold both the power and I buttons on the front of the box and plug in the power
3, Continue to hold the buttons until you see either a red flashing light or a solid Blue one
4, If solid blue then press the I button once because that means there is software still to be applied and the red light will flash once this process is completed
5, Wait for Red light to become solid
6, Turn on as normal

Note: If the Red flashing light carry's on for more than five minutes then just remove the power again, wait five seconds and then plug back in. It should then return to a solid red light and can be operated as normal.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Ok thanks for that. I’ll do that when I get back the van this later this morning

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014