Oyster Vision 2 panel upgrade (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve acquired the new black operator panel and brains and want to swap these for my old white panel and brains. I think the only benefit is been able to update via SD card but cost me nothing so a couple of questions but probably Anthony OysterTech will know the answers ?

Is it simply a unplug and plug job to swap them?

I can’t see any screws holding the white control panel to the wall, is there a hidden panel to remove to reveal screws or are they normally just stuck with adhesive pads?

The update on Ten Haaft website, what is the actual update? What does it contain?

Will the new panel/brains allow me to store Intelsat907?

Thanks Dave

F5A490D2-049D-48E9-9CF6-A5741F5EAB4F.png

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Dave,

It is exactly that. All existing cables will plug in exactly the same with the exception of the control box now having the connector on the rear instead of the side.

The original control boxes did normally come with feet used to screw them into position however some fitters removed them and positioned the box using adhesive pads or velcro so you may have to pry it off.

The majority of updates for Vision II systems now are simply frequency changes however there was a big one called V2.19 which added the bootloader in order to allow the SD card update to work and if your new brain box is smaller than the old one then do not update it to the latest software as that will remove certain functionality as the Germans are trying to phase out these units. The latest software version you can apply to that unit is V2.55 which I can send you however we would then need to speak in order to update the search frequencies to the latest ones used.

Lastly unfortunately the Vision II units cannot lock automatically to Intelsat as the 1 frequency broadcasting from that Satellite is a DVB-S2 frequency. The Vision II units only have a DVB-S tuner in them so they are unable to see it in order to lock on. The only way to do so would be to set the unit to Hispasat and manually move the system a few degrees from there but again we would probably have to go through those frequencies as well to make sure they are active as there were changes made to that satellite recently.

Hope this helps but if you want to speak to me about it in more detail please call me in the office on 01858575928. I'm here until 5pm today.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Anthony,

Many thanks for replying. You was right, the user panel was just fixed in place with sticky pads. I’ve managed to free that.

I’m just waiting for the replacement bits to arrive but I’m sure the ‘brains’ looks exactly like my existing one and not smaller so I think from what you have put I’m ok to update to latest? IF it’s the smaller (which I’m sure it isn’t) then I can only update to V2.55? Have I understood that right?

Re Intelsat907, I do all the manual moving once locked onto Hispasat using the Icecrypt box just wasn’t sure if the new user panel etc allowed the Intelsat907 frequency to be stored.

Cheers Dave. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Dave,

Yeah that's spot on.
If it is the smaller box then yeah, after V2.55 they removed the swap satellite as well as the ability to change the default as well so you would be restricted to Astra 2 only. The bigger box doesn't have this issue so can be update to the latest software.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Anthony,

Once it arrives I’ll take a picture and make sure it’s the correct box before I do any updates just to make sure ?

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Anthony OysterTech

This is the box and control panel, can you tell if it’s the small or large box and am I ok to update to newest file?

Cheers Dave.

B9B8B2F2-3709-4F86-A6B5-7D52759A2716.jpeg

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Thats great Anthony. Do I just go to Ten Haaft website and download the update? Will this update all the frequencies or will I still need to give you a call once I’ve swapped them over and done the update to V2.79? (I think that’s the latest)

Cheers Dave.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Thats great Anthony. Do I just go to Ten Haaft website and download the update? Will this update all the frequencies or will I still need to give you a call once I’ve swapped them over and done the update to V2.79? (I think that’s the latest)

Cheers Dave.

Exactly.......
Yeah the update will do everything including the frequencies. I do use two different than the Germans use but it's just what I find more reliable. There isn't anything wrong with the ones on the newest software.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Oh just one other question before I wire it up, you always refer to the ‘hidden menu’ and what damage it can do if the settings are messed around with. With the replacement brains and control panel I’ve bought, obviously I don’t know what someone else may have done or changed so is there a sequence to follow, for example just connect power and not the dish, power it up and do the update/check settings? Or am I ok to connect it all up and power on etc?

Oh and is the black connecting cable between the brains and user panel interchangeable so I don’t have to re-route the new cable, just use the existing cable?

Thanks Dave

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Anthony OysterTech further to my message above I’ve downloaded the update to an SD card, do the 4 files need to be in the root directory or in the folder which they have unzipped to. I won’t do the update till I hear your comments re my last post yesterday.

Cheers Dave?

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Dave,

You should be good to just power up. If anything doesn't work how you're expecting just give me a shout but once the new software is on it will update all of that anyway. Only things that won't change are if it's in Easy mode or Demo mode when updated.
The connecting cable is an Oyster specific cable so one of ours needs to be used but they are interchangeable so if you got a new one with the boxes then you can use that no problem.

The four files (once extracted properly) go onto the root drive of the SD card yes. Only thing to remember is that you can't have anything else on the card as it's a fairly basic reader.

Go for it and if you get any problems just let me know.

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
BIG thanks ? to Anthony OysterTech and Pat, their customer service is exceptional. Had a little issue with the update via SD Card. I had downloaded the file from the Ten Haaft website but it didn’t seem to like it. Pat then emailed me over the file they use and whether it was because I was using a MAC instead of Windows but this worked ?. Apparently the update does not like MAC and prefers Windows but all is updated now.

Cheers Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back