gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I can now confirm that my update works if you have an Oyster Vision 1 (85cm, Caro, Cosmo or Samy)

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon,

We have only just signed up to have a presence on this site and having seen this post felt that we should comment on the "fix" detailed above.

The Oyster Vision I system was discontinued in 2005 when the Oyster Vision II system was launched. The Vision I was supported there after until 2012 when problems started to arise that were beyond the systems capabilities. As the Vision II was about to be replaced with the Vision III, which is a complete redesign, and with the broadcasting standard being upgraded (which will eventually leave the system unable to operate regardless of this add on box) the decision was taken to withdraw support for the system.

The options offered to our customers was then as follows:

1, The Oyster Vision I unit will still operate on other Satellites I.E Astra 1. From there the manual search function can be used to adjust the systems Elevation and Azimuth to the Astra 2 signal. We have documentation to instruct on this which I will gladly pass on to anyone who PM's me.

2, The Vision I has the same Main cable and roof unit as the Vision II which allows to upgrade the control units without replacing the entire system. The cost of this upgrade is £641.66 + VAT. The kit includes a new "hideaway" brain unit, new 4 button control unit and the connecting cable. I may also point out that between 2012 and Feb 2015 we offered £300 cash back for the return of the Vision I control unit as a good will gesture to all customers that upgraded.

3, The Vision III system was launched in 2013 which has DVB-S2 capabilities and is currently the flagship Oyster system until the Oyster V (which will be showcased as the NEC show in February) is launched in March. This would be a complete new system as the cable and roof unit are not compatible with the Vision I however the system does use the same base plate.

The main problem with the Vision I arose from the fact that the system does not search for NID data to identify the particular satellite it's looking for. It searches specifically for frequency data only which, as stated in the OP's post, can cause the system to become confused as a lot of transponder frequencies are now used on multiple satellites. If the frequencies used in the system become active on another satellite then it is possible that the frequency in this add on box will need to be updated again to allow the system to acquire the satellite once more.

As I mentioned above, the broadcast standard is also being upgraded from DVB-S to DVB-S2. At the moment there are frequencies of both standard active on Astra 2 however at some point in the future (I'm talking 3-5 years in my opinion) the DVB-S standard will be turned off. As the Vision I controller only has a DVB-S tuner inside this means that the unit will no longer be able to see any frequencies on Astra 2 and will not lock automatically regardless of the add on box that the OP is supplying. When this switch off occurs all Satellite control units along with all STB's with DVB-S tuners inside will cease to operate with regards to Astra 2 programming. This also goes for any other Satellites that cease using the DVB-S standard.

With regards to the update module being able to also update multiple system types I must advise that the Vision I system was only ever used in conjunction with the Oyster and Caro variants. The Cosmo system was introduced as Vision II only which is currently still supported although discontinued and the Version I Samy systems used an entirely different control unit with all of the electronics in the roof unit so I would be surprised if this fix can also update those. There is also Samy Digital and Samy Vision II systems which again, are still supported by ourselves but are discontinued products.

In conclusion, this add on box will certainly allow for the Oyster and Caro Vision I systems to automatically lock on to Astra 2 once more however, if frequency changes are made it may require a rework. The satellite operators do not give notice on these changes so you would just find that one day it just stops locking. Once that happens you will have to source a new transponder frequency.
Also, when the DVB-S transponder frequencies are turned off it will not work at all regardless of what frequency you try. At this point the system will become a manual electronic tuning tool where you would have to use your STB's signal meter (Providing your set top box is a HD box) in order to find the required signal. To be honest, it is not difficult to use the manual search function on the Vision I system so if you are not prepared to upgrade the system to Vision III then I would recommend at least trying the manual method before spending any money.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back