gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
I have now sucessfully updated a number of Oyster Vision 1 Control Units to automatically find Satellites once again. My update works on Control Units fitted with Alps BSBE1 and BSRU6 Satellite Tuners with an Atmega128 micrprocessor. I would be interested in getting my hands on an older Control Unit with an Atmega103 microprocessor.
If anybody has one that they would like to get upgraded please contact me.

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
We are no longer Newbie's.
@gibbo57 I cannot see any screws on the front of the control box so how does the front come off?

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
@gibbo57 I cannot find any screws on the front of the control box so how do you get the box open?

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
There are four screws at the back of the Control unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Ok, at the risk of sounding stupid :think: (Yes I know!!), this I assume, means you need to remove the control unit box from its fixed position to get to the 4 screws, so how is the control box fixed to the panel (side of wardrobe), as there are no screws visible at the front or the back of the panel which would hold the control unit in place? Is it like a picture frame where you locate the box over a couple of proud screw heads and pull down to locate the screws in slots above the holes?

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
Unfortunstely this is not the case. If it was it would make mounting of the Control Unit much easier. The dealer that originally fitted my Oyster Vision system glued the Control Unit to the inside panel of the Wardrobe (almost impossible to remove without damaging the wardrobe wall). Some other fitters use double sided tape.

XRN

Oct 10, 2014
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
There's a good chance mine is the same then which makes getting to the inside to check the version a bit tricky

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
The Oyster Vision 1 Programmer is now available in a White and Clear plastic enclosure.

Attachments

• 20170110_140022.jpg
    20170110_140022.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 66

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon,

We have only just signed up to have a presence on this site and having seen this post felt that we should comment on the "fix" detailed above.

The Oyster Vision I system was discontinued in 2005 when the Oyster Vision II system was launched. The Vision I was supported there after until 2012 when problems started to arise that were beyond the systems capabilities. As the Vision II was about to be replaced with the Vision III, which is a complete redesign, and with the broadcasting standard being upgraded (which will eventually leave the system unable to operate regardless of this add on box) the decision was taken to withdraw support for the system.

The options offered to our customers was then as follows:

1, The Oyster Vision I unit will still operate on other Satellites I.E Astra 1. From there the manual search function can be used to adjust the systems Elevation and Azimuth to the Astra 2 signal. We have documentation to instruct on this which I will gladly pass on to anyone who PM's me.

2, The Vision I has the same Main cable and roof unit as the Vision II which allows to upgrade the control units without replacing the entire system. The cost of this upgrade is £641.66 + VAT. The kit includes a new "hideaway" brain unit, new 4 button control unit and the connecting cable. I may also point out that between 2012 and Feb 2015 we offered £300 cash back for the return of the Vision I control unit as a good will gesture to all customers that upgraded.

3, The Vision III system was launched in 2013 which has DVB-S2 capabilities and is currently the flagship Oyster system until the Oyster V (which will be showcased as the NEC show in February) is launched in March. This would be a complete new system as the cable and roof unit are not compatible with the Vision I however the system does use the same base plate.

The main problem with the Vision I arose from the fact that the system does not search for NID data to identify the particular satellite it's looking for. It searches specifically for frequency data only which, as stated in the OP's post, can cause the system to become confused as a lot of transponder frequencies are now used on multiple satellites. If the frequencies used in the system become active on another satellite then it is possible that the frequency in this add on box will need to be updated again to allow the system to acquire the satellite once more.

As I mentioned above, the broadcast standard is also being upgraded from DVB-S to DVB-S2. At the moment there are frequencies of both standard active on Astra 2 however at some point in the future (I'm talking 3-5 years in my opinion) the DVB-S standard will be turned off. As the Vision I controller only has a DVB-S tuner inside this means that the unit will no longer be able to see any frequencies on Astra 2 and will not lock automatically regardless of the add on box that the OP is supplying. When this switch off occurs all Satellite control units along with all STB's with DVB-S tuners inside will cease to operate with regards to Astra 2 programming. This also goes for any other Satellites that cease using the DVB-S standard.

In conclusion, this add on box will certainly allow for the Oyster Vision I system to automatically lock on to Astra 2 once more however, if frequency changes are made it may require a rework. The satellite operators do not give notice on these changes so you would just find that one day it just stops locking. Once that happens you will have to source a new transponder frequency.
Also, when the DVB-S transponder frequencies are turned off it will not work at all regardless of what frequency you try. At this point the system will become a manual electronic tuning tool where you would have to use your STB's signal meter (Providing your set top box is a HD box) in order to find the required signal. To be honest, it is not difficult to use the manual search function on the Vision I system so if you are not prepared to upgrade the system to Vision III then I would recommend at least trying the manual method before spending any money.

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
In reply to the Oyster Sat-Tech post:

“The Oyster Vision I unit will still operate on other Satellites I.E Astra 1. From there the manual search function can be used to adjust the systems Elevation and Azimuth to the Astra 2 signal. We have documentation to instruct on this which I will gladly pass on to anyone who PM's me.”

Yes the control unit does work in Manual search mode, very inconvenient though!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The Vision I has the same Main cable and roof unit as the Vision II which allows to upgrade the control units without replacing the entire system. The cost of this upgrade is £641.66 + VAT. The kit includes a new "hideaway" brain unit, new 4 button control unit and the connecting cable. I may also point out that between 2012 and Feb 2015 we offered £300 cash back for the return of the Vision I control unit as a good will gesture to all customers that upgraded.”

Reply:
The vast majority of Motorhome customers that are not VAT registered!

£641.66 +VAT @ 20% is £769.99

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“The Vision III system was launched in 2013 which has DVB-S2 capabilities and is currently the flagship Oyster system until the Oyster V (which will be showcased as the NEC show in February) is launched in March. This would be a complete new system as the cable and roof unit are not compatible with the Vision I however the system does use the same base plate.”

Reply:
Can you confirm that all Oyster Vision II Control Units are DVB-S2 compatible and will not have to be replaced if and when Astra 2 DVB-S Transponders are switched off?

“The main problem with the Vision I arose from the fact that the system does not search for NID data to identify the particular satellite it's looking for. It searches specifically for frequency data only which, as stated in the OP's post, can cause the system to become confused as a lot of transponder frequencies are now used on multiple satellites.”

Reply:
Actually the main problem with Vision 1 was the lack of any facility to easily upgrade Transponder settings.

Apart from that it was and still is a great product.

“If the frequencies used in the system become active on another satellite then it is possible that the frequency in this add on box will need to be updated again to allow the system to acquire the satellite once more.”

Reply:
You are actually incorrect here. This is not a problem if the Modulation or Symbol Rate is different.

Not really a problem since it is unlikely that both the Vertical and Horizontal Transponders will be changed at the same time. In any event it literally takes less than 1 minute to update the Transponders settings with this upgrade.

“As I mentioned above, the broadcast standard is also being upgraded from DVB-S to DVB-S2. At the moment there are frequencies of both standard active on Astra 2 however at some point in the future (I'm talking 3-5 years in my opinion) the DVB-S standard will be turned off. As the Vision I controller only has a DVB-S tuner inside this means that the unit will no longer be able to see any frequencies on Astra 2 and will not lock automatically regardless of the add on box that the OP is supplying. When this switch off occurs all Satellite control units along with all STB's with DVB-S tuners inside will cease to operate with regards to Astra 2 programming. This also goes for any other Satellites that cease using the DVB-S standard.”

Reply:
The unknown here is when DVB-S is going to be discontinued on Astra 2.
As previously asked, will this change also affect Oyster Vision II Control Units?

“With regards to the update module being able to also update multiple system types I must advise that the Vision I system was only ever used in conjunction with the Oyster and Caro variants. The Cosmo system was introduced as Vision II only which is currently still supported although discontinued and the Version I Samy systems used an entirely different control unit with all of the electronics in the roof unit so I would be surprised if this fix can also update those. There is also Samy Digital and Samy Vision II systems which again, are still supported by ourselves but are discontinued products.”

Reply:
Thank you for clarifying this, I was not 100% sure which systems used the Oyster Vision 1 control unit.

This update will in theory work with any control unit that uses a Satellite tuner so if at any time in the future you discontinue support for any of these systems I am sure I will be able to offer a solution.

“In conclusion, this add on box will certainly allow for the Oyster Vision I system to automatically lock on to Astra 2 once more however, if frequency changes are made it may require a rework. The satellite operators do not give notice on these changes so you would just find that one day it just stops locking. Once that happens you will have to source a new transponder frequency.”

Reply:
All Automatic Satellite systems will also have this issue, some are easy to update some are not!

At this point in time there are multiple Transponder frequencies available on Astra 2 which can be made available to anybody that purchases the update.

“Also, when the DVB-S transponder frequencies are turned off it will not work at all regardless of what frequency you try. At this point the system will become a manual electronic tuning tool where you would have to use your STB's signal meter (Providing your set top box is a HD box) in order to find the required signal.”

Reply:
All Automatic Satellite systems that do not have DVB-S2 tuners will also have this problem!

“To be honest, it is not difficult to use the manual search function on the Vision I system so if you are not prepared to upgrade the system to Vision III then I would recommend at least trying the manual method before spending any money.”

Reply:
I think it is very inconvenient to have to fiddle about manually setting what was an Automatic Satellite system especially now that an inexpensive solution is available!!!!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to be frank my recent contact with oyster makes it clear that they dont like supporting their equipment once installed. they quoted me £1500 yes fifteen hundred pounds to effect a simple repair that I have done myself for under £60
because i declined their ridiculous offer, they returned my equipment with wires cut and parts missing
thankfully there are experts about not looking to make extortionate amounts to upgrade oyster systems

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
In all honesty I have only commented on this thread to give a more comprehensive and detailed explanation as to the reasons that we no longer support the Vision I unit and to make sure that customers who are thinking of purchasing this "fix" are aware of the positives AND negatives of doing so. However, there are certain parts of your post that I will respond to.

You say that the control unit does indeed work in manual mode but you claim that this is "very inconvenient"?? I would argue that all other alternatives involve spending money so I was merely stating a fact so that any customer can make an informed decision and to offer my support should they wish to try the manual option.

Not many customers are Vat registered no so I apologise for not posting the price inclusive of VAT however as primarily a trade supplier we generally quote all prices + VAT/
All I was trying to do, stating the options we offer, is clarify what options customers have in order to restore their obsolete Oyster system to full working order should they choose to. The upgrade is £770 yes however when you put that against £2500 for a brand new self seeking satellite system it is not expensive. You also ignored my comment regarding the £300 cash back offer against Vision I boxes that we ran over a course of 3 years when the support first stopped as a good will gesture to all customers that had the Vision I system upgraded.

In reply to your question regarding the Vision II systems the answer is no although you quoted my comment on Vision III systems and then asked about Vision II. The Vision II was launched in 2006 and although DBV-S2 was submitted for testing in late 2005, it did not become widely used on satellite networks until 2014 and therefore the only tuners available at the time were DVB-S. The Vision III system was then launched in 2013 in anticipation of the DVB-S2 switch over taking place.
The only Oyster systems that support DVB-S2 are the Oyster Vision III range and the Oyster V when it is launched.

In reply to your questioning of the programming in the Vision I system I would like to clarify that this program was originally compiled in 1999. At that time there were significantly less satellites in the sky using less of the frequency bandwidth to provide any obstruction, not to mention the fact that electronics and programming in general have come a long way in the last 18 years!

With regards to you claiming I am incorrect about the frequency problem, I do not believe I am. I stated that it is POSSIBLE that alterations would have to be made if changes were made to the frequencies. I am aware that in order to interfere, the modulation and symbol rate must be the same also, however I was merely stating that it's a possibility and didn't feel the need to explain in full detail.

It is an unknown when exactly the DVB-S standard will be removed from Astra 2 yes however it is a definite guarantee that it will be which is why I mentioned it. Some other Satellites broadcasting over Europe have already started broadcasting high definition only and have almost cleared DVB-S transponder frequencies. If the analogue to Digital switch over is anything to go by then we will be one of the last to follow suit but it will happen.

With regards to Vision II we will not be ceasing support anytime soon and I doubt we will until DVB-S is turned off as at that point there will be nothing we can do. The Vision II range (Oyster, Caro, Cosmo, Samy) can all be updated and software is still being released periodically. The Vision II's also have an edit transponder facility in a hidden menu so we can assist with any immediate frequency issues over the phone. Samy Digital systems are a little different. They are still supported alongside the Vision range however there is no transponder edit menu in either Version I or II. We can still assist with transponder problems over the phone in some cases but would be restricted to any one of the four that are programmed into the system. Only a software update will alter the four frequencies for any given Satellite network.

I must stress before I wrap this up that I do not knock your fix as if it does work as you say it does then for some, I imagine it would be a very welcome extension to the life of their system. I merely want to make sure that our customers are informed fully before making a decision that would involve an expense to them, especially as these systems are now a minimum of 12 years old. We pride ourselves on our customer service and always like to make sure that we give our customers honest and equitable advice. If, knowing all of the facts, they choose to purchase and use your system then they will do so with all available information to hand.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
to be frank my recent contact with oyster makes it clear that they dont like supporting their equipment once installed. they quoted me £1500 yes fifteen hundred pounds to effect a simple repair that I have done myself for under £60
because i declined their ridiculous offer, they returned my equipment with wires cut and parts missing
thankfully there are experts about not looking to make extortionate amounts to upgrade oyster systems

Good morning,

I would like further information regarding your recent contact with ourselves as I am unaware of the repair you speak of. I have sent you a PM and hope to understand your situation better and then hopefully I can give you an explanation.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So in essence you can pay loads of money and have your twelve year old Plus Oyster Vision one upgraded to Vision Two software and controls, Or

You can pay a third party a fix for less money, Or

You can pay absolutely nothing and use Oysters "manual fix" Letting the Vision one find Astra1 and then manually moving the dish along to Astra2

You pay your money and take your choice! Well unless you go for the third option when you pay absolutely nothing and still get the same result lol

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

I appreciate that Anthony wants to help our members out with his superb knowledge of the whole satellite scene of course including Oyster Systems. Slagging off the company whenever he tries to do so will not likely encourage him to help others.

If you have an issue with oyster, please take it up with them, or review their service elsewhere, rather than highjacking a thread where he is only trying to help. :doh:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I appreciate that Anthony wants to help our members out with his superb knowledge of the whole satellite scene of course including Oyster Systems. Slagging off the company whenever he tries to do so will not likely encourage him to help others.

If you have an issue with oyster, please take it up with them, or review their service elsewhere, rather than highjacking a thread where he is only trying to help. :doh:
I am currently PMing Anthony about my grievance. However the fact that oyster tech quoted £1500 for a simple repair remains valid to this thread. A third party has developed a cheap solution to equipment that oyster no longer support. this in my opinion is not a thread hijack, however I fully understand your position. Having Anthony post on fun with technical advice really is a valuable asset to MotorHomeFun

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
I would agree with most of that post although I must stress that it was not Oyster Sat-Tech that quoted £1500 and we cannot be responsible for dealer quotations relating to our products.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have had a number of conversations over the years with Anthony, have to say he has always been extremely helpful.

I needed a new LNB at one stage, he gave me the choice of their own one which was guaranteed to perform properly, or advised that I could source one which did not have a guarantee of satisfactory reception elsewhere. For the relatively small additional cost I plumped for his. No question of profiteering in my case.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Anthony has just supplied details held back by the company I used to get my oyster system repaired. with that information it appears the company were placing at least a 50% markup on the repair costs and quoting a fixed price where some of the work may be unnecessary

it really pees me off when people lie through their teeth and try to rip honest customers off

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I have had a number of conversations over the years with Anthony, have to say he has always been extremely helpful.

I needed a new LNB at one stage, he gave me the choice of their own one which was guaranteed to perform properly, or advised that I could source one which did not have a guarantee of satisfactory reception elsewhere. For the relatively small additional cost I plumped for his. No question of profiteering in my case.

+1 for Anthony, extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Had a problem in France/Spain last year which he sorted via email.

Very glad he has joined the Forum and eagerly look forward to updates re the future DVB-S2 and how this will affect Vision II users.

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
Hi All
I to, had a problem with my Oyster 1, I contacted Anthony for some help and was quietly surprised at how quick and informative he was.
Thanks Anthony.
Cheers Sam and Viv.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
I'd be interested in how much the add on is.

I have cntacted Anthony regarding my Caro I and he was most helpful and the £300 trade in was on offer but I dithered for too long about spending the money as I had just brought the van and was not sure how much I would need it and missed that opportunity

I never really got the whole "when it starts to do the box movement" to manually tune it, probably I'm not grasping it.

I used to mess around for sometimes an hour (much moaning from wife) to get it worked.

Read somewhere about tune it to Astra 1 and then manually move ten clicks of the right button (anti-clock) I think and the 5 clicks up then a small amount of tuning (less up when further south).

Can now tune it in 30 seconds.

The upgrade for the Caro I is steep for what you get, especially as it does not work mid-France down (on my dish) but compared to a new system it's not.

How long companies MUST in my opinion support a product, ten years. After that, a company's support is on a best endeavours and good will basis.

OP
OP
gibbo57

gibbo57

Free Member
Sep 6, 2016
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Benimar 530
Exp
The update cost €200.00 approximately £170.00 at the moment.
I have sent you a private message.
Regards,
John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back