Oyster Sat system and transponders (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
It usually ends up in tears when I start to play around with electronics but I just can't resist!

A couple of days ago there was a thread Asta 2 in Spain and it got me to thinking. When I recently retuned I got in the region in 1400 channels but didn't get any of the Arabic channels that Gordy50 got in that thread .

I was under the impression that the scan feature searched all channels but I'm now thinking that it only searches each satellite on a certain transponder.

Would I be right in this and what would be the advantages / disadvantages of searching a differt transponder?

Also is there a list of stations by transponder?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
When searching, most receivers are default to ALL channels.
So it will search for all channels for the satellite you have selected - unless it has a multisat search option
You also have the choice to search for FREE only or PAY channels only.
And to scan all or just one frequency / transponder

I hope you are scanning different transponders, otherwise you woul dnot get 1500 channel on just one transponder
1 frequency per transponder - so to scan another transponder, select a different frequency.

Channel / frequency / transponder / satellite lists cn be found at lyngsat or kingofsat... both have lists for many many satellites, so it just depends which channels you are looking for
for UK TV on the astra 2 satellites this is the list you want : https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sky-UK.html

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Thanks for that..... I'm still puzzled as to why I can not see all the Arab channels that Gordy50 was picking up, am I missing something basic?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Alistair,

On some of the older Oyster systems that didn't take into account the NID of the satellite being searched it was possible that the system could align onto Badr4 by mistake instead of Astra 2. This would only happen in areas where the Astra 2 signal was very weak compared to Badr4 but would account for people picking up Arabic channels through the Oyster system in areas such as Spain.

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Just come across Eutelsat at 10o E which has BBC

Thoughts on picking this up on Spain would be welcome?

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Eutelsat 10E signals are encrypted so you would need the relevant decryption card or receiver to access those channels.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Just come across Eutelsat at 10o E which has BBC

Thoughts on picking this up on Spain would be welcome?

Yes you can receive that in SPain. Its on a "wide beam"
Downside is that it is the BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service), a service for Armed Forces. The TV channels are encrypted. 10 or so of their radio stations are no encrypted. BFBS have their own cards, issues only to military personnel, with punishment if that cards gets out to the public.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back