Oyster SAMY failing to lock onto satellite. (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Hi all,

I have a samy system which up until recently has worked fine. I was at ferry meadows after a while back and couldny get a signal, but as we were near a tree, I thought that was why. I recently was in suffolk in an open field and same again. It worked great at easter in France.

It rotates to last position, then goes to automatic search (Astra 2) but tries and tries to find a signal but cant. It seems to line up in approx the right place, then tilts but moves on again.

I have just tried a cheap replacement lnb but its just the same so old one back on.

Anyone got any ideas?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Have you left it until it stops? It can take up to 20 minutes or so

Until it gives up and stops it's still searching

OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
To be honest no. I thought it would just keep going? It used to take a minute or so, but maybe using in France has changed where it finds it in its search program? I've given it five minutes or so, so far.
I'll give it a longer try.

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I used to have a different model Oyster, two things that might help.
As you have been in France, go into setting and reset the country to England or UK.
Try searching for Hotbird, Hotbird has a stronger signal, and position is very close to Astra, I used to find once it had locked onto Hotbird it would then lock onto Astra.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My Alden system had same problem have had to send off the sat receiver for an update.
They tell me the satellite positioning has changed.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
To be honest no. I thought it would just keep going? It used to take a minute or so, but maybe using in France has changed where it finds it in its search program? I've given it five minutes or so, so far.
I'll give it a longer try.

Thanks
We had a problem with ours and at TenHaft they told us that if it has done about 2-3 revolutions with no luck then it won't find without manual search .
On a more helpful note I hope someone told us to reset ours ( can't remember how but a search might find the post ) and lo and behold it works well

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
We had similar problem. See sat n tv section date june 27. It had to do with oyster not seeing signal and needing to be retuned. It worked for me and was easy to do. Although we have oster 85 digital, not sure if it is same as samy.... Good luck.

OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Well, Its all sorted.
First prize goes to EddieVanbitz. It took ages to find the satellite, but it eventually did, and reception was great. I am surprised it took so long as it was usually very quick, but its working and that's the main thing.
Thanks again Eddie.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
And once it has found the satellite if you park it it will only take a few seconds to re-aquire

It will quit when it looked everywhere, and until it's looked "everywhere" it's still searching

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My new-to-me Hymer (2005) came with a Camos dome. Unless I'm missing something it's the most irritating accessory I've ever come across. It always finds the satellite and it always takes more than five minutes to do so. It then goes to sleep but still draws current from the battery. If I switch it off it starts the whole search process from scratch. It has two stepper motors inside that sound like someone rubbing sand into the roof and the vibration is sufficient to make the smoke alarm cover vibrate in sympathy. I'd get rid of it but on this van I can't find anywhere to store a conventional dish. On my last van I stored the dish in the engine compartment & could normally have it mounted & positioned before any auto version had found a satellite.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We had a Camos dome years ago on our first van, I thought once it had locked on to the satellite you could turn off the power and watch TV?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back