OYSTER problem INIT Y MOTOR (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Problem with Oyster dish was up last night with no problem, was not windy, watched tv put dish down before going to bed. This morning tried to put dish up but box just saying INIT Y MOTOR BLOCKED INIT Y MOTOR ERROR. Can anyone help please.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Remove the 10 amp fuse from the main box and replace after 30 seconds or so it should then reboot and clear the fault.
We had the same problem in Spain earlier this year and James at Vanbitz told us to do this.
HTH.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning,

This is hopefully a simple error and as long as you can gain access to the roof then it should not be too much of a problem to fix.
You will first need to access the roof and loosen the two 17mm bolts on either side of the main arm. (These sometimes will have plastic caps on them and can be quite tight so it might be an idea to take a small flat blade screwdriver as well just in case.)
Once the bolts are loose the dish should be loose allowing you to lift and lower by hand. Check that this is the case and when you lift it check for twigs or debris of any kind and remove. Lay the dish flat and return to the control unit leaving the arm bolts loose.
Next you will need to remove or cut the power supply to the unit leaving it for 10 second before powering back up. If I am right then when the unit is powered up it will go through it's setup procedure and then switch off as if in idle mode as normal. If this is the case simply return to the roof and tighten the 17mm bolts back up and the system will now operate as normal once more.
If however the system still shows the same y motor error then there is something else going on which I would need to inspect in order to diagnose. If this is the case then please call our office on 01858575928 where we can assist further by booking you in to see us or putting you in touch with a dealer close to you.

OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Thank you Anthony for your reply, however I have just picked it up now as did not have internet earlier. We tried taking the fuse out on Sunday evening & putting it back but still dish would not go up. We are in France but knew of somewhere quite a few miles away where we could get access to the roof so drove down yesterday & before getting ladders etc tried the dish & it worked so no idea why it wouldn't earlier but however we are now sorted for the time being. Many thanks for your time.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Not such a strange outcome to be honest so I suspect my fix would have definitely done the trick.
The problem is that when the dish lowers the pin inside is only just clicking down the limit switch when it parks. What happens is that vibrations from travelling can then cause the switch to activate/deactivate at any point. If the switch is deactivated when you go to operate the system then the error will appear again because the unit cannot move the pin down any further in order to reactivate the switch due to the dish being flat.
I would therefore still recommend carrying out my fix at some point as it will re-calibrate the elevation position of the system and stop this problem from reoccurring in the future.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have a problem with our Oyster 2 on site the dish opens and then has a fault y motor blocked I washed the roof of the motorhome yesterday with the dish up but not locked. I turned the power off. When finished put the power on and the dish closed now when I press the button the dish opens but don't position left or right have removed fuse a couple of times.
Chris

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning Chris,

The problem with your Oyster system is most likely a failed rotation motor. Y motor blocked error refers to the elevation motor but this problem causes the system to give an elevation motor error instead of a rotation motor error because the system believes the rotation motor has not engaged due to the elevation motor not opening enough.
The system will require a replacement motor that can be supplied and fitted by ourselves or any one of our dealers across the country. If you would like to book in with us or get information on dealers closer to you please email me directly at: anthony@oystersat-tech.co.uk

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Good morning Chris,

The problem with your Oyster system is most likely a failed rotation motor. Y motor blocked error refers to the elevation motor but this problem causes the system to give an elevation motor error instead of a rotation motor error because the system believes the rotation motor has not engaged due to the elevation motor not opening enough.
The system will require a replacement motor that can be supplied and fitted by ourselves or any one of our dealers across the country. If you would like to book in with us or get information on dealers closer to you please email me directly at: anthony@oystersat-tech.co.uk

Thank you is there any chance you could give me a call I left my number with the you're office.
I will PM you my number as well.

Thanks Chris

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thank you for the call very helpful one thing I forgot to ask if the limit switch which tells the controller the dish is down was stuck would this give the same fault the controller would think the dish was still down.
Could you give me the pin numbers for this switch.
Thanks again Chris

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
If the dish opens and the limit switch is stuck down then the system should operate as normal until it is told to retract. When it returns to it's rest position the control unit will shut off without the dish retracting so I doubt that is your error.
the pin outs for the elevation switch are 5 (thin yellow) and 14 (thin Brown)

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Update after talking to Anthony I removed the rotation motor and it was seized . I did a temporary repair and its working.
Have ordered a replacement motor.
Thanks for your help
Chris

nunofigueiredo

Free Member
Jul 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Oyster Skew 85
Exp
Hi!
I'm from Portugal, and I'm working on Oyster dish!
My client purchased a bus, with this unit on it...
I have read all the above problems and solutions, and I believe I am close to sort it out!...
I have something's I don't know...
1. How many limit switch does this Dish have?!
2. Which limit switch must be down, no rest position... ("Home position")
Or... Which limit switch should be down on dish start up?!

Sep 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
Kedron
can anyone help. The dish lowered and has stopped approx 10-15 degrees off the correct retracted position? I disassembled the unit and one limit switch is bent and the other one was passed the stopped position

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon mrd83

Because of the nature of the problem you are describing I think it would be better to discuss over the phone so I can get a better understanding of what the problem is and then I can advise from there.
We are available Monday to Friday 8:30 till 17:00 so if you'd like to call the office on 01858575928 then we will assist any way we can.

Thanks also Lee Rasberry for the tag.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back