Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have an Osyter 2 on the van. The 4 presets are currently taken up by 2 Asra 2’s and 2 Hotbirds.
The Astra is fine and on the latest settings. Hotbird has never locked on so I’m guessing they could be wrong.
Now I go to Germany, France, Spain etc, only wanting news in English. which would be the 3 best satellites to fill the 3 slots with?
Then where would be the best place to take to have this done?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have an Osyter 2 on the van. The 4 presets are currently taken up by 2 Asra 2’s and 2 Hotbirds.
The Astra is fine and on the latest settings. Hotbird has never locked on so I’m guessing they could be wrong.
Now I go to Germany, France, Spain etc, only wanting news in English. which would be the 3 best satellites to fill the 3 slots with?
On the way to Thetford, I’m calling in at Oyster themselves at Welford on the A14 to get a couple of things sorted. It might be worth giving them a call as Anthony is very very helpful.

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
IMHO there is only one place to have any work done on the Oyster satellite / internet / solar systems

Oyster Sat-Tech, Welford, Northamptonshire (just off the A14) -
01858 575928
Anthony - their tech - is a contributor on here

(As the saying goes "he has forgotten more than many will ever know about the Oyster systems")

Due in there ourselves again this year for a check over / updating, just need to get the motorhome running perfectly again first

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
IMHO there is only one place to have any work done on the Oyster satellite / internet / solar systems

Oyster Sat-Tech, Welford, Northamptonshire (just off the A14) -
01858 575928
Anthony - their tech - is a contributor on here

(As the saying goes "he has forgotten more than many will ever know about the Oyster systems")

Due in there ourselves again this year for a check over / updating, just need to get the motorhome running perfectly again first
Yep, exactly what I am doing

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Astra 1 or Hotbird carry several English news channels, BBC News is no longer on them.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I have an Oyster Vision 2. When out of the Astra 2 footprint, I just swop to Astra 1 which has news channels + German eurosport (F1).

I've felt no need to investigate other satellites.

I've managed to update transponder settings on many occasions (using Jackson guide), but as Anthony warns, it can be a dangerous procedure unless you know what you're doing.

For Astra 2, I use a mini Sky box which has the benifit of having the electronic progamme guide (EPG). For Astra 1, I use the inbuilt satellite decoder (free to air) in the TV. An A/B switch toggles between the two sources (Sky box/TV decoder). When using Astra 1, it's normally necessary to rescan for that satellite which takes about 10 minutes.

It's unclear from the OP's post whether he can get Astra 1 or what type of decoder he is using.

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It's unclear from the OP's post whether he can get Astra 1 or what type of decoder he is using.
I’m only using an Avtex tv as the decoder. Too lazy to use manual search so looking for @Anthony OysterTech to programme in the some useful satellites for me. Shall contact him once I’m back in the uk later this week

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I’m only using an Avtex tv as the decoder. Too lazy to use manual search so looking for @Anthony OysterTech to programme in the some useful satellites for me. Shall contact him once I’m back in the uk later this week

I think you may be stretching Anthony's helpfullness a tad too far, unless you're prepared to pay for his expertise by visiting his workshop. Just my take on the matter !!!

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think you may be stretching Anthony's helpfullness a tad too far, unless you're prepared to pay for his expertise by visiting his workshop. Just my take on the matter !!!
That is the plan if you read the above. Go there, pay money, leave a happy man

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

Astra 1 at 19 east carries Sky News Intl, BBC World News, Bloomberg, CNN
You may get Astra 2 at 28 (european beam) in most of mainland western europe also..

Astra 1 also carries German Eurosport, and RTL German (the latter shows F1)

Astra 1 or Hotbird carry several English news channels, BBC News is no longer on them.
BBC World News is on Astra 1 and Hotbird

https://www.lyngsat.com/tvchannels/uk/BBC-World-News-Europe.html

I have an Oyster Vision 2. When out of the Astra 2 footprint, I just swop to Astra 1 which has news channels + German eurosport (F1).
F1 on German tv is RTL... not Eurosport (i think they have FE)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Not been on there for about a year.
Are you sure...?
True, the SD BBC World News feed on Astra 1 is no more.
But it is there in HD...has been since 2016
And still there in SD on Hotbird
as per the link i provided...
and me checking them on both satellites

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Are you sure...?
True, the SD BBC World News feed on Astra 1 is no more.
But it is there in HD...has been since 2016
And still there in SD on Hotbird
as per the link i provided...
and me checking them on both satellites
I've not been able to find them.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I've not been able to find them.
Not looking hard enough...as they are there....
Obs the one on Astra 1 is only available if you have a HD receiver, but the one on Hotbird is still SD...and available on SD and HD receivers...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Not looking hard enough...as they are there....
Obs the one on Astra 1 is only available if you have a HD receiver, but the one on Hotbird is still SD...and available on SD and HD receivers...
I'll have another look, using a Snipe 2with Icecrypt tuner so have HD.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Clive,

Looks like I'm a little late to the party on this one but if you still need the help and haven't already spoke to me (sometimes get a bit brain frazzled :whistle:) then I'm about.

What I would say is that I should be able to help getting you alternative satellites without having to come in here unless you want to. The kettle is always on here if you do!
The Oyster is programmed with 16 different satellites however 4 of them are stored in an "easy swap" menu. The idea is that you store the four you use the most into the 4 positions available and then use "swap satellite" to go to them when you need to so you don't have to go into the menu's and change the default search satellite every time.

To access the positions is quite easy:

From off.............

Turn system on
Press tick to display "Main Menu"
Press tick to display "Settings"
Scroll right to display "Sat Settings"
Press tick to display "Search Satellite" (This is the option when you can change the default Sat)
Scroll right unit "Sat Position" is displayed
Press tick to display Position 1/2/3 or 4

Simply tick each position individually and you will have the choice of all 16 for each position. When your happy with each one tick to store and then move to the next one and repeat. When you've stored the last one just press the on/off button to return to main menu and then scroll to automatic search and press tick.

Only things to note are:

1, Swap satellite menu will only work if you have an initial lock on a satellite because it uses the difference in positions as a reference.
2, Any satellite that's gone through frequency changes might not be obtainable if the system is looking for unused transponders so unless the software is up to date you might find not all are currently obtainable.
3, Remember as well that any satellite you are trying to view requires you to be inside the broadcast footprint, have a clear view to the south east/south west and have the skew angle of the LNB angled correctly depending on the satellite required.
4, Intelsat 907 is not a pre programmed satellite on Vison II. The Vision II only has a DVB-S tuner which unfortunately cannot see the DVB-S2 transmissions (in a lot of cases HD signals).

Hope that helps but I'm available if you have any questions.

OP
OP
Clive

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
@Anthony OysterTech
Thanks. It’s a shame you didn’t write the manual. I’ll give that all a try once I’m back in the uk

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Yeah, unfortunately the older ones could be considered....... Gerglish??? :unsure:
I am pretty much a manual though so anything you need just ask.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back