Oyster dish help (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We have bought a new van with an Oyster dish. I believe it has 2 'antennas' , we will be having one for TV, and the other for the Internet.
Does this make sense ?, I believe we need to organise a service provider, any thoughts or suggestions ?, mainly, at the moment for France, Benelux, and UK.

As always thanks in advance.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
If using sattelite for broadband I think that most only have only a downstream via sattelite..... but I may be wrong now, mine certainly was this way years ago.
This means you still need uplink to send request for info.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Not sure but does it have twin LNB's? I'm not an expert but home systems using Sky+ need twin LNB. Having twin LNB enables you to split the signal to 2 TV's and be able to watch a different satellite station on both. No doubt someone will be able to give you a proper explanation!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Be very careful, the usual dual lnb is for 2 tv channels
To have internet requires a very different lnb to accommodate up and downlink, I have used systems like this and they are quite bulky; to give you some idea the price difference between the dual tv and the tv/one
Telnet versions is £1000

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Jacksons do a system that adds a second head on an arm offset to Astra 3 when the dish is locked onto Astra 2. Astra 3 carries the internet up and down link. Mr Jackson demonstrated this to us when we had our dish serviced. Internet was able to be used at the same time as the TV.

Seanno is very knowledgeable about this system, its components and the price.

One thing to bear in mind that in Spain, they now consider deploying a rooftop satellite dish as camping when off site, same as awnings, chairs, tables etc.

We use a Carrefour Data Solo SIM in Spain (Spain only) and have had good connections, limited to 100mb per day for 1 euro. so unlimited at 24.95 a month sounds a good deal with a guarantee of connection anywhere in Europe. The cost of the Jackson System is not cheap. We were quoted £1500 including a dish service.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
There was a guy at a show last year trying to charge £1000+ to add a internet LNB to your existing satellite dish. Sure it can be done for a lot less.

I thought if a sat system was twin LNB it was so you could watch and record TV at the same time, but may be wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back