Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We've an auto seek and when we turn it on it raises, searches and locks on to astra 2.We have very little and intermittent signal and zero quality when we autotune so get no programmes at all.

We spoke to oyster and she said it was the aerial but checked it and ok. Then said it was the tv setup so we drove to Todds and tried a brand new avtex which gave the same result.

So putting out to the experience of fun in hope that someone can shed any light. How can I diagnose a fault in the receiver box? The system is 2006. Is it dead?

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
HI,

If the Oyster is locking on then it is receiving a signal from the satellite that it is aligned to however there are a good number of reasons why the signal may not be getting from the Oyster to the Receiver.

1, It could be that the signal it is locked to is very weak in the first place which would point to the LNB not functioning correctly, the angle of the LNB being out of alignment or the LNB arm height being out of alignment

2, The signal being transmitted down to the Oyster control unit is looped into the receiver of your choice so if there is some sort of problem with the control unit then it could not be relaying the signal fully to the receiver.

3, Following on from the last point, the signal is being relayed through our control unit and then out down a loop cable that should be fed directly into the receiver. In some cases caravan/motorhome dealers either do not use the correct specification cable, some fitters can put multiple joints in the cable which could result in signal loss or problems resulting from connections and it could be that one of the cables is just faulty.

Obviously this is a lot to check through but my suggestion would be to contact the office once again tomorrow on 01858575928 and ask for either myself (Anthony) or Pat. We are the technicians here and will be able to go through most of these possible issues with you over the phone. If we do reach a stage where we can't assist you any further in that capacity we can advise dealers in your area or arrange for you to bring the system here where we can go through things more thoroughly.

I hope this helps

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
HI,

If the Oyster is locking on then it is receiving a signal from the satellite that it is aligned to however there are a good number of reasons why the signal may not be getting from the Oyster to the Receiver.

1, It could be that the signal it is locked to is very weak in the first place which would point to the LNB not functioning correctly, the angle of the LNB being out of alignment or the LNB arm height being out of alignment

2, The signal being transmitted down to the Oyster control unit is looped into the receiver of your choice so if there is some sort of problem with the control unit then it could not be relaying the signal fully to the receiver.

3, Following on from the last point, the signal is being relayed through our control unit and then out down a loop cable that should be fed directly into the receiver. In some cases caravan/motorhome dealers either do not use the correct specification cable, some fitters can put multiple joints in the cable which could result in signal loss or problems resulting from connections and it could be that one of the cables is just faulty.

Obviously this is a lot to check through but my suggestion would be to contact the office once again tomorrow on 01858575928 and ask for either myself (Anthony) or Pat. We are the technicians here and will be able to go through most of these possible issues with you over the phone. If we do reach a stage where we can't assist you any further in that capacity we can advise dealers in your area or arrange for you to bring the system here where we can go through things more thoroughly.

I hope this helps
That really helps, thanks Anthony. We'll phone tomorrow as suggested and hope you help us sort it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Whenever I’ve had to contact Oystertech they have been really helpful and knowledgeable, so it’s a thank you from me to them.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Anthony was amazing today and has solved the problem. It took a couple of phone calls and a bit of testing but the dish is working really well now. Couldn't recommend enough to anyone who has any problems as both Anthony and the lady that answered the phone (apologies for not getting her name) were brilliant.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Anthony was amazing today and has solved the problem. It took a couple of phone calls and a bit of testing but the dish is working really well now. Couldn't recommend enough to anyone who has any problems as both Anthony and the lady that answered the phone (apologies for not getting her name) were brilliant.

you are preaching to the choir here .. always a great service from all the folk at Oyster (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back