Oyster 2 not locking on to Astra 2 (1 Viewer)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I am getting to the point is it worth having satellite TV.
Last year my system wouldn't lock on.
Sent the control box to Jacksons and they diagnosed a fault with the V and H settings and I ended up with a refurbished control box from them. Wished I had contacted OysterTech.
Earlier this year the dish went right over.
Contacted Oyster and spoke to Anthony and ordered all the parts to repair it.
Managed it very well and everything operating normally.
Haven't been out in the MH for about two months .
Went out today and the dish is just searching for Astra 2.
If I swap satellite to Hispasat it will lock on.
Looks like I will have to try and speak to OysterTech again and hope they can offer advice.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Try locking to Astra1 and then when locked swap to 2 that usually works as they are close together.(y)(y)(y)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Never got on with my oyster, always a problem . My Roadpro dome never fails.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Sometimes Default transponders change, the one needed to lock your dish onto your required system, in your case Astra 2........do a search on this forum to see whats the latest one.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
We have had our Oyster 2 for almost eight years. Only had to change the transponder settings once and that was a few years ago now. Other than that faultless and I converted it to twin LNB as well.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
You may have to have it reprogrammed take it to oyster cost about 30 pound think they are in Northampton my friend has just had his done,I also had to have mine done on my SR at roadpro

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning,

The last change that affected Oyster systems on Astra 2 was October the 17th 2017. If your frequencies have not been altered since that date then you would need to contact us on 01858575928.
In most cases we can rectify the problem over the phone and get the system up and running for you free of charge however occasionally, on older systems, there may be the need for a full software update which would be chargeable.
If your system is not locking on to the satellite please give us a call and we will be able to assist.

Ukracer

Free Member
Mar 2, 2019
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler
Exp
20 years
Sometimes Default transponders change, the one needed to lock your dish onto your required system, in your case Astra 2........do a search on this forum to see whats the latest one.
Yeah but how do you input it to the box.

Ukracer

Free Member
Mar 2, 2019
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler
Exp
20 years
I dont suppose anyone knows how to adjust a vision 2 manually. I am normally pretty good with computer and tech stuff having worked in tech support but sadly we don't have any TV at all now.

@Antony OysterTech seems to be the guru but i dont like PMing members uninvited.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
See here:

Good morning,

If the system will not stop and display Main menu when you press the tick then the software is to old to have the hidden service menu that we need to update the system.
Instead the brain unit (larger grey box with multiple cables attached) will need to be removed and sent in to us for a full update. Once this is done the system will function as normal once more.
I have PM'd you cost along with our address and contact details.

steevieweevie

Free Member
Mar 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
swift bolero 680fb
Exp
since 2010
Hi All,

I had the same problem with my Oyster Caro Vision not locking on. I emailed Jackson Satellite (JS) yesterday
and they replied this morning with an easy to follow list of changes for my transponder settings.
I went through the list and after a minute or so of searching the system locked on to Astra 2.
Bingo. I'm now my wife's favourite husband!!!!

JS did state that it may not work for all models and if it didn't I could send them the receiver to
be reprogrammed.

Hope this helps.

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi All,

I had the same problem with my Oyster Caro Vision not locking on. I emailed Jackson Satellite (JS) yesterday
and they replied this morning with an easy to follow list of changes for my transponder settings.
I went through the list and after a minute or so of searching the system locked on to Astra 2.
Bingo. I'm now my wife's favourite husband!!!!

JS did state that it may not work for all models and if it didn't I could send them the receiver to
be reprogrammed.

Hope this helps.

I have stated this before but will do again.
We, in no uncertain terms, do NOT recommend using lists provided by third party dealers such as Jacksons Satellites.
These lists do indeed provide instructions on how to change the programmed transponder codes within the Oyster system however the process requires you to go into a hidden service menu in order to carry out the changes. This menu is hidden due to it also containing other settings that are sensitive and should not be changed otherwise it can prove detrimental to the operation of the system and, in some cases, can cause damage.
The instructions given DO NOT give any instruction on what these other options will change if altered by mistake or indeed what to do if you do change something else by mistake.
These lists may also not be up to date with the latest transponder codes that we are currently using.

For the sake of a FREE ten minute phone call to us to talk you through the process is it really worth the risk of causing damage that you may have to pay for in order to be put right?

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I rang Oyster this morning with a similar problem - they could not have been more helpful, problem sorted in about 10 minutes. It's a long talk through lots of menus though, so I can see exactly why they say "call us" rather than emailing out instructions.

Apparently I was an easy customer - I listened and pressed the right buttons in the right order! I did ask the very nice lady if she wouldn't mind emailing my wife to inform her that I both listened and did as I was told...…. :p

Ukracer

Free Member
Mar 2, 2019
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Celtic Rambler
Exp
20 years
See here:

Good morning,

If the system will not stop and display Main menu when you press the tick then the software is to old to have the hidden service menu that we need to update the system.
Instead the brain unit (larger grey box with multiple cables attached) will need to be removed and sent in to us for a full update. Once this is done the system will function as normal once more.
I have PM'd you cost along with our address and contact details.
I had this problem sometime before Covid.
You were kind enough to send me the codes in a zip and they worked perfectly.

My problem now is that we have had to move sites and whilst it will lock onto Astra 1 it will not lock onto Astra 2

I don't know if the codes have been changed for Astra 2.

Is there a quick method to align it manually so I can test if it's a line of sight problem or a transponder frequency/code.

Regatds Andy T

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
I had this problem sometime before Covid.
You were kind enough to send me the codes in a zip and they worked perfectly.

My problem now is that we have had to move sites and whilst it will lock onto Astra 1 it will not lock onto Astra 2

I don't know if the codes have been changed for Astra 2.

Is there a quick method to align it manually so I can test if it's a line of sight problem or a transponder frequency/code.

Regatds Andy T
HI Andy,

If you give us a call when you are with the system on 01858575928 then we will happily check the frequencies for you.
If you would like to check the frequencies yourself then you can do so by putting the system on a search and to display the current frequency simply hold down the right arrow button. There are four preset in the unit and to scroll through them simply press the left arrow intermittently while holding the right down.

Note: The frequencies will only come up when the system is searching and it will default to the last frequency number showed on screen.

The four we currently use are as follows:

11265 V 27500 2/3 1
11836 H 27500 5/6 1
12207 V 27500 5/6 1
11307 H 27500 5/6 1

Note: The frequencies are exact. If any part of the number doesn't match what's above (even if it's almost right) the frequency won't work.
To change the frequencies please give us a call in the office.

Hope this helps.

Deleted User
Hi I have a problem with my oyster Sami dish it comes up lnb failure on auto search but I can get a signal on manual search thanks

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Lucky you haven’t got a Maxview, it won’t work but Maxview are very helpful
You need a laptop and a memory stick to do the update which I don’t have.Things always pack up when your away

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back