Oyster 2 not locking on to Astra 2

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by grasscutter, Apr 19, 2018.

1. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +3,292
    I am getting to the point is it worth having satellite TV.
    Last year my system wouldn't lock on.
    Sent the control box to Jacksons and they diagnosed a fault with the V and H settings and I ended up with a refurbished control box from them. Wished I had contacted OysterTech.
    Earlier this year the dish went right over.
    Contacted Oyster and spoke to Anthony and ordered all the parts to repair it.
    Managed it very well and everything operating normally.
    Haven't been out in the MH for about two months .
    Went out today and the dish is just searching for Astra 2.
    If I swap satellite to Hispasat it will lock on.
    Looks like I will have to try and speak to OysterTech again and hope they can offer advice.

2. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +5,544
    Try locking to Astra1 and then when locked swap to 2 that usually works as they are close together.(y)(y)(y)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Ratings:
    +29,149
    Never got on with my oyster, always a problem . My Roadpro dome never fails.

4. jumar

jumar Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,533
    Sometimes Default transponders change, the one needed to lock your dish onto your required system, in your case Astra 2........do a search on this forum to see whats the latest one.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. SuperMike

SuperMike Funster

Ratings:
    +5,769
    We have had our Oyster 2 for almost eight years. Only had to change the transponder settings once and that was a few years ago now. Other than that faultless and I converted it to twin LNB as well.

6. musson

musson

Ratings:
    +201
    You may have to have it reprogrammed take it to oyster cost about 30 pound think they are in Northampton my friend has just had his done,I also had to have mine done on my SR at roadpro

7. Anthony OysterTech

Anthony OysterTech Oyster Satellite Technical Service

Ratings:
    +348
    Good morning,

The last change that affected Oyster systems on Astra 2 was October the 17th 2017. If your frequencies have not been altered since that date then you would need to contact us on 01858575928.
    In most cases we can rectify the problem over the phone and get the system up and running for you free of charge however occasionally, on older systems, there may be the need for a full software update which would be chargeable.
    If your system is not locking on to the satellite please give us a call and we will be able to assist.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. angusboy

angusboy Funster

Ratings:
    +779
    I will in day or so thanks anthony

9. Squirepete

Squirepete Funster

Ratings:
    +24
    If it locks onto Hispasat your LNB is skewed too far west.
    Turn it clockwise from 5 O'Clock to 7 O'Clock.

10. Ukracer

Ukracer

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but how do you input it to the box.

11. Ukracer

Ukracer

Ratings:
    +0
    I dont suppose anyone knows how to adjust a vision 2 manually. I am normally pretty good with computer and tech stuff having worked in tech support but sadly we don't have any TV at all now.

@Antony OysterTech seems to be the guru but i dont like PMing members uninvited.

12. Speve

Speve Funster

Ratings:
    +5,544
    @Anthony OysterTech will see your post and usually will advise be patient and you will get help.(y)(y)(y)

13. Anthony OysterTech

Ratings:
    +348
    Hi all,

Seen on another thread and sent you a PM UKRACER! (y)

14. Anthony OysterTech

Ratings:
    +348
    See here:

Good morning,

If the system will not stop and display Main menu when you press the tick then the software is to old to have the hidden service menu that we need to update the system.
    Instead the brain unit (larger grey box with multiple cables attached) will need to be removed and sent in to us for a full update. Once this is done the system will function as normal once more.
    I have PM'd you cost along with our address and contact details.

15. steevieweevie

steevieweevie

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I had the same problem with my Oyster Caro Vision not locking on. I emailed Jackson Satellite (JS) yesterday
    and they replied this morning with an easy to follow list of changes for my transponder settings.
    I went through the list and after a minute or so of searching the system locked on to Astra 2.
    Bingo. I'm now my wife's favourite husband!!!!

JS did state that it may not work for all models and if it didn't I could send them the receiver to
    be reprogrammed.

Hope this helps.

16. Anthony OysterTech

Ratings:
    +348
    I have stated this before but will do again.
    We, in no uncertain terms, do NOT recommend using lists provided by third party dealers such as Jacksons Satellites.
    These lists do indeed provide instructions on how to change the programmed transponder codes within the Oyster system however the process requires you to go into a hidden service menu in order to carry out the changes. This menu is hidden due to it also containing other settings that are sensitive and should not be changed otherwise it can prove detrimental to the operation of the system and, in some cases, can cause damage.
    The instructions given DO NOT give any instruction on what these other options will change if altered by mistake or indeed what to do if you do change something else by mistake.
    These lists may also not be up to date with the latest transponder codes that we are currently using.

For the sake of a FREE ten minute phone call to us to talk you through the process is it really worth the risk of causing damage that you may have to pay for in order to be put right?

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 2