Oxford Patriot - AAARRRGGGHHH! (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Having read quite a few posts on here lauding the Patriot to lock the swivel seat, I got one myself and fitted it this week. I dont know if I'm doing something wrong but I find it the most frustrating lock I've ever used!!!

How do others manage to hold the pin underneath the seat with one hand whilst trying to stop the lock itself rotating and turn the key with the other? I thought it might have been possible to just ‘snap’ the pin in place but you have to turn the key to release the internal ball bearings to allow the pin to seat.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking it’s more trouble than it’s worth so would welcome any clues to what I’m doing wrong :rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm assuming you've got the 'sausage' type disc lock meant for a motorcycle instead of the U shaped disc lock? All I can suggest is put some Velcro under the seat and on the top of the pin flat base so that it holds it in place whilst you put the top on.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I push on the side of the seat which holds the pin in place 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L
Jun 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
I'm assuming you've got the 'sausage' type disc lock meant for a motorcycle instead of the U shaped disc lock? All I can suggest is put some Velcro under the seat and on the top of the pin flat base so that it holds it in place whilst you put the top on.
Great idea, thanks Mel
I push on the side of the seat which holds the pin in place 👍
I did try this with no luck sorry Richard. Will try harder :giggle:

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Great idea, thanks Mel

I did try this with no luck sorry Richard. Will try harder :giggle:

It does need to be a tight fit otherwise the pin goes at an angle and you can't get the top on far enough.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It does need to be a tight fit otherwise the pin goes at an angle and you can't get the top on far enough.
There's a video on YouTube of a bloke fitting one, he's put a large square 'washer' under his seat between the pin and the base so I assume that if he can fit that and still fasten the lock on top a bit of Velcro won't make any difference, he also fitted the bracket on top too.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't really have any problems with it. I took the O ring off which makes it easier to assemble and disassemble.
I hold the pin under the seat with my fingers and stop the body rotating with my thumb.
Without the O ring when you unlock it the pin just drops out and to catch it I have an ice cream tub with some bubble wrap in it under the seat.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My lock isn't perfectly round. It has a squared edge (where the name Patriot is printed - see image below). I make sure this edge is wedged against the sliding part of the seat so it's impossible for it to turn. All you have to do then is ensure the key is in the open position, push lock onto pin and turn key to lock position.

Patriot.jpg

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
I don't really have any problems with it. I took the O ring off which makes it easier to assemble and disassemble.
I hold the pin under the seat with my fingers and stop the body rotating with my thumb.
Without the O ring when you unlock it the pin just drops out and to catch it I have an ice cream tub with some bubble wrap in it under the seat.
Likewise. I put the key in the lock first and pop it on the pin with my left hand while the pin is held up with my right.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Getting the long key in & out of the lock is the difficult part for me, I have sprayed with silicon once, but may have to give it another squirt.
I find that just under the steering column, there is a nice little gap to store the lock right in front of me, it cant go anywhere from there, so its in the right place when I need it.
I am also still looking out for a suitable washer, maybe end up making one.
LES

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I just hold everything with my left hand and turn the key with my right hand. Best done from outside and put the key in the lock first. I left the O ring on and put silicone grease on it so when taking it off it just drops into the tray.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Getting the long key in & out of the lock is the difficult part for me, I have sprayed with silicon once, but may have to give it another squirt.
I find that just under the steering column, there is a nice little gap to store the lock right in front of me, it cant go anywhere from there, so its in the right place when I need it.
LES
If you have Aguti seats a standard the base is a lot thicker than a Fiat 6mm I think and a standard washer is perfect.
I've probably got some around if you want one.

Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
LES
Didnt it come with an extra metal bracket with a washer stuck on it as a spacer? I seem to remember bashing the washer off the bracket and using that.

Attachments

• 20211120_102539.jpg
    20211120_102539.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 18
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Having read quite a few posts on here lauding the Patriot to lock the swivel seat, I got one myself and fitted it this week. I dont know if I'm doing something wrong but I find it the most frustrating lock I've ever used!!!

How do others manage to hold the pin underneath the seat with one hand whilst trying to stop the lock itself rotating and turn the key with the other? I thought it might have been possible to just ‘snap’ the pin in place but you have to turn the key to release the internal ball bearings to allow the pin to seat.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking it’s more trouble than it’s worth so would welcome any clues to what I’m doing wrong :rolleyes:
I share your pain brother. I was at the same thought process. Here's what I did, with a sharpy type of indelible marker pen mark the locked position. This helps to maintain a sense of the right direction to hold the key in when fumbling around under the seat. The lock does seem to be the most infuriating process to operate, but best not rushed. I also added some stainless washers to take out free play between the pin base and seat base.
I hope this helps.
Mike.20211120_102649.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I share your pain brother. I was at the same thought process. Here's what I did, with a sharpy type of indelible marker pen mark the locked position. This helps to maintain a sense of the right direction to hold the key in when fumbling around under the seat. The lock does seem to be the most infuriating process to operate, but best not rushed. I also added some stainless washers to take out free play between the pin base and seat base.
I hope this helps.
Mike.View attachment 558763
I thought the idea was to have the locking part on the top of the seat plate to provide a visual deterrent as well as prevent the seat being swivelled.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi, as fitted it prevents the seat being turned when installed, it locks the swivel plate against the seat fixed base plate.
There isn't the headroom to fit it the other way up as the keys would foul on the seat base cushioning.
Additionally, I removed the annoying and overly large plastic vent that fits the back of the seat base , and made my own flat vent plate , which also doubles as the base plate for the inverter, which is plugged in via an Anderson plug only when required.
I hope that's explained clearly.
Mike.

OP
OP
L
Jun 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Didnt it come with an extra metal bracket with a washer stuck on it as a spacer? I seem to remember bashing the washer off the bracket and using that.
Yeah, i cut the lugs off to use it as a square 'washer'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back