Oxford, or somewhere else???? Help please. (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Looking for a few days away later this week - probably leaving Wednesday (we have tickets to see Dave Gorman on Tuesday). Within a couple of hours of Kent. Any suggestions?? Looking for somewhere where there are some interesting places to visit and/or eat within walking/safe cycling/bussing distance. Simple site or wild camping would be fine for us, but equally willing to stay on full facility site.

Quite fancy Oxford - don't think we have ever been there. The C&CC site is right next to a park and ride into the city centre. Anybody stayed there? What's it like? I notice Park and Ride itself (Redbridge) has facility for motorhomes, only £2 per night, but website says no eating drinking or sleeping. Does anybody know if that rule is enforced??

Also maybe staying at the Swiss Farm site at Henley on Thames. Again anybody stayed there before and what's it like?

We are open to any suggestions, including meeting up with fellow funsters. Many thanks for any help you can give.

Peter & Angela

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
C&CC site as Oxford is near to the park and ride into the town.
Lots of interesting things to see and do in Oxford, it is a beautiful city.
The site itself is somewhat dated. C&CC only lease the site and
as such are not able to develop it, we found it to be ok though.
Henley on Thames is a pleasant town with good walks along the
River Thames in both directions. Bus service takes you in to
Reading and Marlow. Can't comment on Swiss Farm site as we
have not stopped there, it is very popular though and I have not
heard of any complaints.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
As Brisey has said, the site is a little dated, but very convenient. It is a bit uneven but I've always found the place clean and tidy. It is a 30 minute walk into town or there are plenty of bus options just outside. If you forget anything, the site lies behind 'Go Outdoors' who also own the land and would like the site back to be able to develop.
10 minute walk to the Duke on Monmouth pub http://www.gkmeetandeat.co.uk/locations/duke-of-monmouth-oxford
Only a few minutes from the A34 junction.
The site can be noisy being sandwiched between the railway line, a dairy and the busy Abingdon Road, but it has never caused us any problems.
In the park and ride, I've never seen a motorhome overnight here, normally a few during the day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
The Oxford C&CC site is perfectly clean, just looks a bit dated for reasons above. I found the managers to be very friendly and helpful. You can use the Park and a Ride bus or just use the bus stop outside the site.
It's possible to walk into town too via the park but bus is easier.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The Caravan Club site Bladon Chains is right next door to Blenheim Palace and a day ticket gives you 12 months entry, we actually drove in as we needed to check the dog occasionally, also a 15 minute walk to Churchill's grave. As to the OP, it's only a 5 minute walk to the bus to Oxford some 25 minutes away.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
The Oxford site is very handy - if you have bikes you can be into town in no time.

However, currently due to road works it is not easy to get there. The ring road roundabout next to the park and ride is being altered, and there is no access to the P&R or the campsite from there. Diversion notices are reasonable though. If you are coming from the south (?) you need to go past that roundabout and do a U-turn at the next roundabout, then take the first left... hope this helps.

It's worth it though - you will enjoy Oxford. If you want more info when you are there, PM me and I can come down and help you out!

Catherine

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Go there often especially as I only live an hour away. There is so much to see and do in oxford.as already said the park and ride is right next to the site and there is a "GoOutdoors" store there as well..if you need anything ..

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
This may be too far. Bath is good to visit, say at the Marina and you're right opposite the park and ride. The cycle path to Bristol is 500 yards away or you can easily cycle into the centre of Bath. Lots to see and do

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for all your helpful replies. Unfortunately I forgot that this week was half term, and by the time I got around to trying to book both Oxford and Henley upon Thames were full, much to my surprise. Probably for the best given that they will be heaving with screaming kids!!

Instead we decided to venture a bit (lot) further and go down to the Masons Arms Pub site at Odcombe, near Yeovil. They have good food, their own microbrewery and will sell me warm croissants each morning. And it is within walking distance of an NT place to visit. Not cheap, but apart from that what's not to like?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back