Owner Fitted Air Con, Job for the Weekend (1 Viewer)

Rapidoman 2011

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 21, 2013
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9009 DFH
Exp
20 Years Plus
So l managed to find a second hand Dometic B2200 Air Con unit on Ebay, off l went brought it, got it home, first thing run a bench test to make sure everything works.(it all did so good to go)
So how to fit Air Con unit to your Motorhome. Please Only Do This if you are Confident Enough,
First of all remove the cowling from unit and place on some cardboard. Pic AC-1 and AC-2. Draw round the cowling and cut out shape, place back on cardboard and mark the center opening, the studs leave a slight indent in the cardboard, pencil them in and check measurements, then cut out the opening Pic AC-3.
Now up onto roof and place where you would like your air con unit to be, l had to move dome sat but that was easy and gave me the room needed. Pic AC-4. Mark up the opening needed, check its all center, side to side, front to back Pic AC-5.
So lets get the tools up on the roof and disconnect a few things. Safety first. Remove mains cable if on hook up, disconnect leisure batteries incase wires going through roof area.
Up on the roof you will need one drill and one jig saw Pic AC-6, First thing, Drill out the four corners Pic AC-7 and then gently with the jigsaw so you have a nice clean square Pic AC-8 and AC-9. At this point you will be crying or laughing to yourself. Don't worry its going well.
Now you need to measure the thickness of the insulation, in my case it was 23mm Pic AC-10. Now being careful use a chisel and dig a good inch of the insulation Pic AC-11.
Time to sort the power out. in an ideal world, the mains power would be there ready for me, but its not, l need to fit an isolation switch, this l decide will go in the cupboard above the fridge, ceiling mounted and will be a fused type. First thing was to make a 25mm opening into ceiling panel in cupboard (don't push to hard don't want another hole in roof, be gentle, take your time) To get from the opening to the cupboard l used a length of 15mm copper tube with a slot cut in the one end Pic AC-12 and slowly lined it up and twisted it through, l had to go about 18 inches in, but went better than l thought, removed the copper tube and push cable through and pulled it through Pic AC-13.
Right back to the opening, you have scrapped out about an inch of insulation Pic AC-14 so now its time for a wooden frame to strengthen it all up, using the correct size batten, line the opening where you scrapped out the insulation, use a good strong adhesive like Sikaflex 221 or Soudal RV61, myself l used Hodgson Silfix U9 in black, it dries like rubber, but very good all round. Once you have done this, using tape or clamps, leave it to dry Pic AC-15.
Good morning, nice new day, time to finish off now. Ok lets sit the unit down over the opening (2 man job- don't be an hero) Pic-AC-16, you will see a guide pin, one in each corner, just place unit down so its sits comfortably with each pin in its own corner Pic-AC-17. Next you have two metal brackets that screw directly into base of unit and go under the rim of the opening (hence the wooden frame) and as you screw them, they pull the unit down onto its sealing rubber. Don't go too mad, a little all round and you will feel it tighten. Next connect the wiring into unit, plug the ceiling shroud into plug on base unit and tighten base unit to existing metal brackets already fitted. (The same metal bracket that holds Air Con unit onto ceiling) Pic AC-18.
Connect the mains power to the isolation switch, get an electrician in if you are not sure, remember to connect the batteries and the electric hook up back in.
Switch on and test, Enjoy Pic-AC-19

l

Attachments

• AC-1.jpg
    AC-1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 123
  • AC-2.jpg
    AC-2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 112
  • AC-3.jpg
    AC-3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 112
  • AC-4.jpg
    AC-4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 108
  • AC-5.jpg
    AC-5.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 105
  • AC-6.jpg
    AC-6.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 99
  • AC-7.jpg
    AC-7.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 102
  • AC-8.jpg
    AC-8.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 104
  • AC-9.jpg
    AC-9.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 112
  • AC-10.jpg
    AC-10.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 114
  • AC-11.jpg
    AC-11.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 120
  • AC-12.jpg
    AC-12.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 115
  • AC-13.jpg
    AC-13.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 121
  • AC-14.jpg
    AC-14.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 121
  • AC-15.jpg
    AC-15.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 120
  • AC-16.jpg
    AC-16.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 121
  • AC-17.jpg
    AC-17.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 119
  • AC-18.jpg
    AC-18.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 122
  • AC-19.jpg
    AC-19.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 124

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Once i saw that drill and jigsaw on the roof i cringed :eek: this geezer has big couilles.

Great job and thanks for the pics and info

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Massive set of dangles on you bud the closest I got was fitting WiFi in my van.

That no way but top, top marks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back