Owl wireless electricity monitor. (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I made one that sent it's data to the PC and presented it in Excel. Really all it proved was we were using a fair bit of electricity - all of it was more or less essential so I stopped using it. A bit depressing really.

Common ground at last ..

In the home it may be of value to a non electrical minded person who has little idea of the power individual appliances use.. to the educated it only confirms what they already know.. :Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

You are correct, the alarm is on the cost of the leccy being used

.. so , for easy calculations,

set the tariff at 10p per kw unit ..

then set the alarm for .... 36p which = 3.6kw.

using the equation Watts/Volts = Amps

gives you the alarm at 15.6 Amps

not very accurate thought Jim.....our leccy tariff is 13.50p kw

i would need to set mine at 48.6p kw

:Doh: just realised...the actual cost is immaterial...3.6kw is the constant.

set the tariff at 20p and the limit at 72p...its still 3,6kw:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:Doh: just realised...the actual cost is immaterial...3.6kw is the constant.

set the tariff at 20p and the limit at 72p...its still 3,6kw:Blush:

Hi John

If you were using it as Owl intended, ie an alarm to go off when you exceeded a pre set £ value it would indeed need to be set at the correct cost per unit ..

I've now got mine at home set with the correct rate , but no one pays any heed ... :Doh:

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
how strange Brian....we know it locally as a

MANCHESTER SCREWDRIVER !

Another comment like that Pappajohn and you'll start another war of the roses ! :ROFLMAO:
I'm from north manchester and Brian (hilldweller) from the south,the posh side !!
It's always been known as a BRUMMIESHAM screw driver in civilised society ie,the right side of the Pennines.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another comment like that Pappajohn and you'll start another war of the roses ! :ROFLMAO:
I'm from north manchester

And a Belle Vue fan.

The times I've been there for the wrestling and stock car racing. What a sad loss to Manchester.

And I've worked in Street - is Swissnet still going ?

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Brian,Sad loss when the zoo was demolished but apparently there is talk of a new purpose built stadium next to the greyhound track at Kirkmanhulme Lane,a place where the Aces never settled.
I did 5 years at the "big house" before moving to Shepton Mallet in the early 90's
and now settled in Street.
Where was that company situated in Street ? there's been alot of redevelopment especially around Glastonbury in recent years so you probably would'nt recognise the place.
Come down with the motorhome and spend loads of money at the Clarks village,a real nice area to live.(I still miss Manchester though)

Regards,John P.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Where was that company situated in Street ?
Regards,John P.:thumb:

It's many years since I've been there, an old mill down a back lane. They make a unique form of netting, good for parachutes, that can only be made on their machines built in the later 1800s. When those machines die ( probably won't, just many tonnes of cast iron so very repairable ) the process dies with them.

OP
OP
johnpengers

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Probably long gone Brian,there are still one or two mills left in the area but probably taken over by Clarks shoes or now a furniture showroom.
Apart from Clarks and Millfield school there is'nt alot of employment down here unless you travel to Bath or Bristol.
Its a lovelly place to visit and more people should run off the M5 instead of carrying on to devon and cornwall.
See you up Cheddar gorge one day.:roflmto:

John P.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back