OW Much ! (1 Viewer)

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
Not our first trip to France, but the first in the motorhome.

So Fiona seeing that the farmers market was in the village next day we decided to stay and have a look around. It would be nice to buy some cheese and sausage for a nice picnic lunch on our travels. Very nice and picturesque.

30 Euros, yes not 3, not 13 but 30. Irritated and lacking the French to say "your havin a laugh mate" I paid up. And no it was not a special price for the tourists I noted a French chap paying a similar amount later on.

So later that day we saw a Lidl and I proposed a similar spend. The photographs say it all.
and I have to say the cheese was just as nice. And the wine was pretty good as well.

As they say we live and learn
Geoff

Attachments

• IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 496
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I remarked on the price of cheese in France a couple of weeks ago, 30 euros a kg where it is quite easy to get cheese here for £8 a kg, you have really got to look at the kg price, it's way out of line and nothing very special, but it is true there is often big queues of French buying it.(n)(n)(n)

Upvote 0

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
"your havin a laugh mate" into French is votre havin un compagnon de rire for future use may be helpful
Dont think I,m fluent just used google translate in case I need it ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you want a shock nearer to home, come to Chester racecourse at Easter with Fun, go into the Food Festival and buy some olives from the Olive Bar. :eek:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
"Merci, main non. C'est trop cher"

I knew O level French might come in useful at some point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
"your havin a laugh mate" into French is votre havin un compagnon de rire for future use may be helpful
The problem with Google Translate is that if it doesn't understand an English word then it will just 'translate' it as the same English word, so 'havin' will remain as 'havin' which would confuse a French person. Perhaps a better French phrase would be "Êtes-vous plaisanter? C'est beaucoup trop cher." No doubt, @yodeli will let us know.

Upvote 0

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Living in France we would never buy cheese from the markets, I suppose if the prices are displayed then that is the price but so often they are not displayed and you are at their mercy. We find very few bargains at any of our local markets. Play safe and go to the supermarkets and on another note pay attention to the price per Kg as some of the forgein supermarkets are clever at reducing the price but big enough to get the suppliers to reduce the pack size.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you want a shock nearer to home, come to Chester racecourse at Easter with Fun, go into the Food Festival and buy some olives from the Olive Bar. :eek:

Tell me about it. Always amazes me at the farmers markets ,etc, the prices.
I took 22,5kgs of different types to the UK for family/friends this year. Cost me a total of 44€:LOL:

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Living in France we would never buy cheese from the markets, I suppose if the prices are displayed then that is the price but so often they are not displayed and you are at their mercy. We find very few bargains at any of our local markets. Play safe and go to the supermarkets and on another note pay attention to the price per Kg as some of the forgein supermarkets are clever at reducing the price but big enough to get the suppliers to reduce the pack size.
As I said in post 5 the only way is to look at the price per kilo, they can dress some small piece of cheese up in fancy paper and stuff and make it look a lot bigger, also remember a lot of this market cheese haslarge rinds on and if you ask for a small piece it could well be half rind.
Not really important in the great scheme of life but it is a fact.(y):)

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
yep some places are right rip offs !!! i would of done the same as you ..

The word that you seek is "expensive" - you cannot be "ripped off" over an inessential item.

We find the same with farmers' markets over here. Surely, because there are no middlemen to pay, the prices should be a bit cheaper?

Why should food be cheap? Everyone needs it so basic economics tells us it should be the opposite. And remember the primary purpose of being in business is to make profits.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
OH Dear! Just forget about Google as soon as you use phonetic English or some sort of slang or even different accents that you will write the way you're saying it

Humoristic translation for that.... "Tu galèges, mec!" or "Tu plaisantes , mec" or "Tu te moques mon pote" What google gave you is just wrong and you can't make yourself understood with it.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
"Êtes-vous plaisanter? C'est beaucoup trop cher

Still wrong but at least understandable . It's a posh way to say 'your havin a laugh mate" .
To add to your comment, and I'm not criticising here which would brake rule 1, but the spelling GOOGLE reads is "your" as is mine , his, her, our ...etc... while you (O.P) are meaning, you are (you're) having a laugh mate.

So here Rob and Val I would correct your translation like this : Vous plaisantez mon ami , c'est beaucoup trop cher"

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
"Merci, main non. C'est trop cher"

I knew O level French might come in useful at some point.

Merci MAIS (not main which is hand) non, c'est trop cher !

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I have found that a sorrowful expression together with a headshake and the words "trop cher" suffice though silence and walking away work just as well for me.

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
a bit of Anglo Saxon usually doesn't lose much in translation when they hear it :LOL:

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Still wrong but at least understandable . It's a posh way to say 'your havin a laugh mate" .
To add to your comment, and I'm not criticising here which would brake rule 1, but the spelling GOOGLE reads is "your" as is mine , his, her, our ...etc... while you (O.P) are meaning, you are (you're) having a laugh mate.

So here Rob and Val I would correct your translation like this : Vous plaisantez mon ami , c'est beaucoup trop cher"
Yes, you're right, Yodeli but I also didn't want to break Rule 1 so didn't correct the funster who said, "your havin a laugh mate."

Thanks for the correction of my translation. Another one to add to my ever-increasing list of French phrases!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
@Rob and Val It's not a real problem when read by an English when a translation is not needed but it changes it all for google. Google can't read people's mind, just words and for that you need to enter the words in the best possible way. Google is just a machine after all

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I have had this discussion about French market prices many times. Sad to say we do not buy from them anymore, way too expensive. Everything they sell can be bought for half the price and the same quality from supermarkets, Lidl in particular.
Christmas markets may be nice and festive, but boy do they overcharge.
Phil

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We used to love going round the various French markets we came across but don't bother now unless we are literally walking through the centre and one happens to be there! Waaaaaaayyyy too expensive ... what makes me laugh is the number of French who buy the cooked whole chickens and 'roast' spuds for silly prices, it wouldn't be so bad if the spuds were proper ones but they're usually the crappy tinned ones! I'll stick to supermarket stuff.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We find the same with farmers' markets over here. Surely, because there are no middlemen to pay, the prices should be a bit cheaper?

Why should food be cheap? Everyone needs it so basic economics tells us it should be the opposite. And remember the primary purpose of being in business is to make profits.

I wouldn't mind if the Farmers' Market prices matched the posh deli in town (to whom they also supply) but they are even more expensive than the shop!!!!!

I have had this discussion about French market prices many times. Sad to say we do not buy from them anymore, way too expensive. Everything they sell can be bought for half the price and the same quality from supermarkets, Lidl in particular.
Christmas markets may be nice and festive, but boy do they overcharge.
Phil

I just don't bother with the "Christmas Markets". Overpriced food and drink (and no extra quality), the craft stuff is often cheap and imported from the Far East. I used to enjoy going to a market of any type but now avoid them.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back