Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dve thats got to be isle de mogado in the back ground . you were parked by the maroc telephine place in essaouirra. i can smell the medina from here . spices cooking ,full of life . some dont know what they are missing . i do . hope you looked in at the boats beingbuilt in the port.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
hi john ,yes you will feel 10 yrs younger . hee hee thats if you are lucky .
glad you are enjoying it. bit different from tangiers isnt it.
theres a good crowd normally down there .tpourists and locals . some real nice folk .
bet this wont be the last trip you make there.
keep us informed of your travels ..be safe . have fun.

Hi Alan yes some aches and pains I suffer from in the UK suddenly thought I am pain free.

Walking in my problem TBO with being careful with my feet and run out of breathe easily.......:Sad:

Glad I am doing it.............:winky:

Also great to be online although got real shock looking at my bank balance.............:Doh::winky:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Here's a few statistics for those contemplating a trip out here in the future.
Open return ferry ticket Algecirus to Tangier new port is 180 Euros.
Diesel is at the moment 55p per litre.
13kg gas bottle is £1.53p
Bread .08p
Am told campsites charge around £8.25p per night, but have not used any so I don't know.
The Marjan supermarket sells just about everything you can buy in Tesco at around the same price. Some imported foods are more expensive but local produce is virtually for free.
I had a towbar made and fitted to the camper which I was quoted £400 for in the UK.........Cost here £45.83p.
Mobile broadband dongle with 1 months use included is £15.27p
Mobile phone sim with credit is £1.53p
Things have not changed that much in the last 4 years since I was here last apart from a few newer scooters and cars. Once you get away from the tourist areas its much the same as it was 100 years ago. Little if anything has changed. Oh I got caught with a speed camera...Huge fine....Bottle of red wine. The old Bill thought I was Santa Claus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Here's a few statistics for those contemplating a trip out here in the future.
Open return ferry ticket Algecirus to Tangier new port is 180 Euros.
Diesel is at the moment 55p per litre.
13kg gas bottle is £1.53p
Bread .08p
Am told campsites charge around £8.25p per night, but have not used any so I don't know.
The Marjan supermarket sells just about everything you can buy in Tesco at around the same price. Some imported foods are more expensive but local produce is virtually for free.
I had a towbar made and fitted to the camper which I was quoted £400 for in the UK.........Cost here £45.83p.
Mobile broadband dongle with 1 months use included is £15.27p
Mobile phone sim with credit is £1.53p
Things have not changed that much in the last 4 years since I was here last apart from a few newer scooters and cars. Once you get away from the tourist areas its much the same as it was 100 years ago. Little if anything has changed. Oh I got caught with a speed camera...Huge fine....Bottle of red wine. The old Bill thought I was Santa Claus.

prices not changed much(if any) since we were there in 2007 .. we did use a few sites, your price is about right ..

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sounds fantastic.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Sunbathing while vehicles are serviced

Attachments

• France Spain Morocco 2012 022.jpg
    France Spain Morocco 2012 022.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 116
  • France Spain Morocco 2012 016.jpg
    France Spain Morocco 2012 016.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 111

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Camping next to Dave's camels....

Attachments

• France Spain Morocco 2012 010.jpg
    France Spain Morocco 2012 010.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 108
  • France Spain Morocco 2012 007.jpg
    France Spain Morocco 2012 007.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 107

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Keep the pictures and news comeing looks :Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Camping a la beach

BTW note my surf board in picture 2 earnt me a lot of respect from fellow surfers

Attachments

• France Spain Morocco 2012 006.jpg
    France Spain Morocco 2012 006.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 110
  • France Spain Morocco 2012 025.jpg
    France Spain Morocco 2012 025.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 111
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thats no surfboard...Its his ironing board to go with his twintub.:ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Thats no surfboard...Its his ironing board to go with his twintub.:ROFLMAO:

Your gutted I have been surfing while you can only watch:winky::ROFLMAO:
images

He gets so envious of me and fellow surfer's partying into the night :drink::party2:

The nearest Dave gets to surfing is silver surfing:winky::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i can smell the tagines from here. looks like bread mans berlingo in the pic.
john i can see you are ready for killer point next .ha ha.
have you been to devils rock yet .
we normally park up on th top at taga its usually free there.
give my regards to all ...alibaba grande djelaba .
mustaffa making a shilling from you i guess.good though isnt it. wish i was there.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hasans Moroccan bodyshop with customer waiting area Agadir.
The one in the recliner is RR whilst everyone is running around after him.
He has even got them to call him Colonal John :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Spain morroco tour 2011-12 090.jpg
    Spain morroco tour 2011-12 090.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 95
  • Spain morroco tour 2011-12 091.jpg
    Spain morroco tour 2011-12 091.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Spain morroco tour 2011-12 092.jpg
    Spain morroco tour 2011-12 092.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Spain morroco tour 2011-12 093.jpg
    Spain morroco tour 2011-12 093.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 97

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Looks like a nice, natural, harsh but beautiful part of the world...

Shame the ambience is spoilt but some free loading, tight wad wild campers in their old, tatty, rundown campers... (one of them looks as though it needs some body work sorted) :winky:

JJ :Cool:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
i bet its fun watching john on that surf board!! a bit like watching an elephant on a lolly stick:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
great to see you lads enjoying yourself's:thumb:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Looks like a nice, natural, harsh but beautiful part of the world...

Shame the ambience is spoilt but some free loading, tight wad wild campers in their old, tatty, rundown campers... (one of them looks as though it needs some body work sorted) :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Think yourself lucky we cant afford to stay in mainland Europe JJ...We would realy bring the cost of land and property down if we were there.:winky:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ocean side apartment complete with tiled patio area. Not exactly free camping as am having to pay £1-52p per night for a security guard. Ah well the view is worth it.::bigsmile:

Attachments

• Spain morroco tour 2011-12 098.jpg
    Spain morroco tour 2011-12 098.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 88

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, in the ideal world make sure you have insurance green card from your uk insurer .some cover morocco . ask early on you might have to change companies . you can get border insurance but who knows what you actually end up with . you can with draw cash just like in eu . no probs . i normally go inside the banks . if your card gets chewed up by mistake you could be in trouble . same in eu . i dont chance it.
i recomend if you are going try to find someone thats been before to help at the customs etc. its not really difficult but first tome you can get a bit ripped off .
i say dont give any money to anyone . you dont have to pay a penny.
its a good life experiance over there . some like it others hate it.
i love it over there. find the people friendly and have known some for 35 yrs .
still have a great adventure.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As Alan says., it can be a little intimidating at first especially when you arrive in Tangier but nothing can compare with the variety of what you will see when you start to travel here. The thing that stresses most people is the fear of being moved on by the authorities whilst wilding. Up to now we have only been moved once and the authorities were very polite and we did get plenty of warning. You can of course use the many campsites, as long as you don't mind being packed in like sardines. Once you learn to say NO thank you to the constant stream of walking salesmen you have cracked it. Remember this country is not and never will be part of Europe and to all intents and purposes is still a third world country with all the beggars and unhygienic facilities that go with it. If you can turn a blind eye to many things that happen here that you would be outraged by in Europe,come and enjoy it.....If not,stay in Europe.
This country is so diverse and MOST of the people helpfull and friendly that once you have tried it and got the smell of Africa up your nose, then you will return.

sabconsulting

Free Member
Jan 22, 2011
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Demountable truck camper
Exp
Since 2010
Advice on getting to Morocco

Hi everyone. Nigel and Pamela (Sundowners) introduced us to Motorhomefun, but I’ve only just got around to posting.

Thanks Snowbird for the running commentary on your Morocco trip – this is really useful for me hearing about yours and others’ experiences.

We are planning to take our demountable camper to Morocco for a couple of weeks in October. It will be our first time there so I am keen to get some pointers.

The Algericas to Tangier Med ferry prices were a bit of a shock. Looking on-line FRS are quoting €261 return. I see people have gone to get cheaper tickets from Mr Carlos, but I am a bit concerned about saving a few Euros only to find I’ve got invalid tickets that the ferry company decides to reject because the type or date is wrong. Or is buying online from FRS and paying more no more guarantee?

We have a tight schedule, so will be turning up in Algericas the evening before our ferry – any recommendations on where to camp so we can get to the ferry quickly?

I’m used to the minimal formalities involved in getting a ferry from England to France, but what do I need to know when getting the ferry to Tangier Med? I’ve read stuff in various places (including here) about filling in bits of paperwork while on the ferry, getting insurance on the other side, getting cash, etc. So I wondered if anyone had a little list of what we will need to do to get across smoothly.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for hijacking this thread with my ferry-related questions.
Steve.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi everyone. Nigel and Pamela (Sundowners) introduced us to Motorhomefun, but I’ve only just got around to posting.

Thanks Snowbird for the running commentary on your Morocco trip – this is really useful for me hearing about yours and others’ experiences.

We are planning to take our demountable camper to Morocco for a couple of weeks in October. It will be our first time there so I am keen to get some pointers.

The Algericas to Tangier Med ferry prices were a bit of a shock. Looking on-line FRS are quoting €261 return. I see people have gone to get cheaper tickets from Mr Carlos, but I am a bit concerned about saving a few Euros only to find I’ve got invalid tickets that the ferry company decides to reject because the type or date is wrong. Or is buying online from FRS and paying more no more guarantee?

We have a tight schedule, so will be turning up in Algericas the evening before our ferry – any recommendations on where to camp so we can get to the ferry quickly?

I’m used to the minimal formalities involved in getting a ferry from England to France, but what do I need to know when getting the ferry to Tangier Med? I’ve read stuff in various places (including here) about filling in bits of paperwork while on the ferry, getting insurance on the other side, getting cash, etc. So I wondered if anyone had a little list of what we will need to do to get across smoothly.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for hijacking this thread with my ferry-related questions.
Steve.
Hi, No problem with Carlos,he has been trading longer than most. You can change money in the new port as you enter Morocco. You will be given paperwork by Carlos when you get your ticket to get stamped on the boat. Get your green card in the UK.
You can park outside Carlos office overnight and catch the 9am ferry easily.
Hope this helps.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,get uk green card . get ferry ticket from juan carlos by the carrefor at polmones . you can stop the night in the ind estate you will see others . he or his daughters will give you just about all you will need for the border.
i have been using them for about 9 yeas .never had a problem with tickets . once told couldnt take the fast ferry had to wait for a slow one . lovely i like slow. there is loads of crap written about juan carlos . i find him very accomodating ,bit shouty at the port sometimes but he is spanish ,they shout alot.
you may get a christmas card or new year greeting off the family the next year . they are always friendly .
i havent used the new ferry to the new port .but have donr tangiers old port several times but i prefer ceuta crossing .cant say why i just do. think its the buzz at the other end.
normally we get an early ish morning crossing ,either head for larache to the aire de repose there or stop by one of the road side cafes on route . from there follow the sea .
in the 70,s we had to get border insurance but later uk companies started doing green cards for morocco . thats the best way. saves more confusion at the border. depending on age .saga ,safeguard .norwich union ,coop, there are lots that cover you. some charge some dont. always check dates on entry papers etc . but dont worry adjustments can be made in agadir .
personaly i would cross later as oct ,nov can be wet . better go in early december . miss the european winter. get back in eu in march.
john and dave have crossed too late as late march april can be very windy and lots of sand blowing about . but thats my views . also better to wait till feb to visit the middle of maroc as the snow can get very deep in the mountains .if you need more info please ask . sure dave doesnt mind us on his thread . after all i am alibaba grande djalabah , ha ha . mention my name in maroc its well known .

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I have been off road for 3 days with alko axle issue but all sorted by Moroccan mechanics, its another world here where they fix anything.

Back on beach tonight with Snowy near Agadir.

What an experience so far :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Ocean side apartment complete with tiled patio area. Not exactly free camping as am having to pay £1-52p per night for a security guard. Ah well the view is worth it.::bigsmile:

I am back with dave but not on Prime location like him:Cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back