Ains-campers

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Lancaster UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
bought our first ever motorhome in January 2016, what a dream she's fab!
Hi all,
I'm new to this and it seems there so many decisions to make and consider. I've recently seen and been looking at motor homes/ campervan's and have a quick question......is it a big deal if a motorhome is left hand drive and in Km rather than miles, does it impact on the market value or future sales or even running / fixing costs? Do some motorhome suppliers make them left handed, or is it likely it's an import. The motor home I've seen is a 2007 Chaussan challenger on a Ford transit chassis

Any advice welcome cheers guys Kev

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi all,
I'm new to this and it seems there so many decisions to make and consider. I've recently seen and been looking at motor homes/ campervan's and have a quick question......is it a big deal if a motorhome is left hand drive and in Km rather than miles, does it impact on the market value or future sales or even running / fixing costs? Do some motorhome suppliers make them left handed, or is it likely it's an import. The motor home I've seen is a 2007 Chaussan challenger on a Ford transit chassis

Any advice welcome cheers guys Kev
Hopefully the judge @Judgemental sees this thread as very knowledgeable on this subject

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Left hand drive isn't a problem, although it can attract a premium price. But the speedometer should show miles, not kilometres only. That would be an MOT failure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A lot of us on here my LHD Motorhomes as we use the van more on the the other side of the channel than here, me included. LHD is more popular with A Class vehicles.
Easy to change a speedo dial a new dial face is under 50 quid from Lockwood dials.
If looking at LHD you can save a fortune buying in Germany, use the forum search facility and search importing, loads of info.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As DBK has said LHD isn't a problem although you do need a speedo that shows Miles it can be both miles and KM but not just KM. Also need to make sure lights are set up for UK. If these things aren't done it's not the end of the world getting it done.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, now you can see why this is the best Motorhome forum on the net, just joined and asked a question then 20 later some very good answers with more to come. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As DBK has said LHD isn't a problem although you do need a speedo that shows Miles it can be both miles and KM but not just KM. Also need to make sure lights are set up for UK. If these things aren't done it's not the end of the world getting it done.
It may seen strange a continental van registered over the water the speedo only has to KM a UK van has to show both MPH & KMP.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I doubt it would make it legal but your SatNav should be able to show either MPH or KPH.... just a thought.
Imported vans must contribute to at least 50% of the vans available in the UK. They make them to order so generally do both versions, although a few "A" class have only one door for the driver, on the 'wrong' side in their right hand drive models.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi :)

It was built for euro market hence the Lhd, so its an import...I'll let you in to a secret all the good ones are imports whether left or right hand drive

show us the link and will give an opinion....speedo will need change as others have said. strange that they managed to register without changing it..Is it a private or dealer sale. have you seen paperwork

can check its history here: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history-vehicle

when was it imported.

yes you will get less when it comes to sell but you pay less! So a bit irrelevant to be honest. plus they look much better value next to the Rhd version. plus you have the option of easy PX in the future Europe wide...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ains-campers

Ains-campers

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Lancaster UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr
Exp
bought our first ever motorhome in January 2016, what a dream she's fab!
Thanks guys,

To be honest it's one I spotted on autotrader, we're looking at ideas etc but it's one that stood out and we didn't have a clue whether it would impact. I only assumed it displayed KM as that's all it shows on the photo however, possibly may be both?? Puts my mind at ease with the LHD or even the imports massive help......thanks all

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Its not taxed and looks like it was imported on:
  • Date of first registration 10 January 2009
No - speedo needs changing.
No history of MOT's simce registration? ( from what I see)
will have to check headlights have been changed for right hand traffic fog light mover over as well

are you a family or a couple... do you need the overcab bed.

fuel consumption suffers, wind/trucks buffet it on the road... so handling compromised. plus the Ford suspension soft in the first place ..all adds up to a not so engaging drive.

If yo add link on here you have a chance of getting feedback regards the dealer as well

Its a challenger not a chausson...maybe from same parent company. look at this for approx £22K >>>>. Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back