Overweight (1 Viewer)

Apr 15, 2017
Fylde coast lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
02/14
Hi all, had motorhome at weghbridge today in full touring set up, full gas and fuel app 30ltrs water,awning,chairs,table etc and total was 3,600kg back axle 2040kg am i ok at this weight or shall i have to trim back somehowe?

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Hi
I am sure other members will find my previous comment not helpful,but take a good look at your items you load.Weigh all that goes in.Payload when limited is like gold dust.Plenty of help here on Forum.Enjoy....

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Allegedly DVSA will allow a 5% leeway before prosecution, so you're probably ok.
Mechanically your vehicle is probably ok up to 3850kg.
If you don't have C1 on your licence, you could be done for that.

You're over the limits
Does this weigh include you as the driver and any passengers?

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Van is limited to 3500kg so no matter what you're 100kg overweight.

What's your payload & what do you weigh? If its over 75kg and you weren't in the vehicle you'd need to add the difference to the 100kg, likewise for the passenger weight.

We have to deduct 140kg from our payload allowance to cover my extra weight and that of my missus.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can load the rear axle to its 2t limit but then you have to unload the front to get to 1500kg to meet the gross 3500kg.
All weights include both you and any passengers and ideally with a full fuel tank.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Your front axle has a comfortable margin so you need to concentrate on getting the overall load down and make sure at least 40kg comes off the rear axle.

What type and size are your gas cylinders? How many leisure batteries do you have and what type are they? How much kitchen stuff do you carry and is the crockery lightweight? Could you live without the awning? Could you find lighter weight chairs and table? Do you have a spare wheel?

These are the types of questions I considered when keeping below 3500kg. I have now uprated to 3850kg but wanted to know that I could manage at the lower rate if my C1 license became a challenge. To help my weight loss I opted for an Alugas cylinder, a LiFePO4 battery, bamboo plates and bowls, lighter weight chairs, individual sunshades for chairs instead of an awning and no spare wheel, which also also meant I could leave the heavy jack etc at home.

Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
That’s a reasonable call about the jack and spare wheel. My wheels weigh a tonne!

I would unpack the motorhome and put things in 3 piles, must have, nice to have and not sure. Then look at the not sure pile and determine if that will give you the weight saving you need. If not its time to go through the nice to have pile and determine what bits you can do without.

Keep going until you can make your weight with some margin for those items you will add on your travels. Did you have food and drink onboard when it was weighed?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back