Overweight and full water tanks (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Currently in a discussion about been overweight, now I thought if you dumped all your fresh water and your weight became legal that was OK. Someone is saying you cannot dump water but has to be something "physical"?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If by dumping water you are within your gvw no problem. Best start out with less water to be under weight.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
weight is weight . you lose it you weigh less .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Currently in a discussion about been overweight, now I thought if you dumped all your fresh water and your weight became legal that was OK. Someone is saying you cannot dump water but has to be something "physical"?

Water is physical.....

AND WET ;)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
This may come from something that i read once about an alleged incident where a motorhomer was stopped.
France / spain not sure.. Was Overloaded and was about to pull the plug and dump all their fresh water.. !!
"Oh no says the cops, not going to just dump water all over my EU paid for tarmac and get my shiny boots wet !"...
Here is your fine and now you need to take items out from your van and leave them by that bin....

note.. The police statement may / may not be a real comment ;)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Dumping water is fine if there is somewhere to do it properly.

You won't be allowed just to drain it on to the road.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
I have seen an article that says No Fluid is to be discharged onto a public highway whatsoever.
This is a fineable offence.
The weight of a motorhome (MIRO) is calculated with a full tank of petrol (or Diesel), no fresh or grey water but includes a 13Kg gas bottle, a 75Kg driver (no passenger) and batteries etc.
If you want to lose weight and carry water then keep your petrol tank half full and carry only the other half in fresh water, 1 L of water weighs 1 Kg, 1 L of diesel weighs 0.832 Kg so work out the maths and adjust what you carry.
Another tip is to ditch the spare wheel and carry a good high pressure air pump and a can of leak stopper, spare wheels weigh the earth as do 80Kg T-Bars!. get a reversing camera instead. :love:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My spare is only 28kg sooner have that than a repair kit they aren't any good if you have a blow out and I think you'll find that Motorhome manufacturers don't always do the same as far a what is included in your allowances such as driver ,fuel and water.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
legally if you are found to be overweight on a UK road you have committed an offence. Whether you are offered a summons to court, a graduated fixed penalty or a warning will depend on the actual circumstances (DVSA will allow 5% or a tonne whichever is the lower) and the enforcement officer concerned.

Generally the vehicle will be prohibited from further movement until the weight is reduced to at least the maximum permitted weight for that vehicle (or axle). Once the weight has been reduced to an appropriate level the prohibition will be removed BUT the penalty still applies. Don't think that by simply dumping water (or anything else) that you have suddenly not committed the offence!

provided the enforcement officer is happy that you do so, you can take anything off the vehicle.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Has anyone been stopped and weighed?
And if so, where and when and what was the verdict?

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
provided the enforcement officer is happy that you do so, you can take anything off the vehicle.

Ah, that explains a lot. When touring around the Continent I've often seen young women standing around in lay bys and trying to catch the eye of passing motorists - now I know - obviously MH passengers abandoned in order to get that weight down and looking for a lift to the next aire. A bit drastic though, but better than off loading that motorbike from the back. :)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Would seem to support the argument (sorry opinion) not to carry very heavy WATER!

Sorry, I don't get it :rolleyes:.

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Interestingly I have been reading our new Hymer manual and it states that you should not travel with more than 25% in your fresh water tank. We never do anyway as I can't see the point in dragging extra weight around when there is usually free water where you're heading. :doh:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind if going to out of the way places full tanks can be a must. or you are driving off to get some .
depends how you spend your time away. and how long you are away for .
could say never fill your fuel tank etc . where do you stop.
admit i dont fill both my fuel tanks till i,m coming home .or visit gibralter . or leave morocco.
but full of fuel water and drinks to come home can have well over a ton used up. good job i have good payload .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back