Overnighting In Motorway Service Areas? (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Hi folks
I'm going to be driving to Orkney from Hampshire, I have to get a 1pm ferry to Orkney on the Sunday and I'm leaving after work on the Friday evening.
So, I have a long drive on my own.
I plan to get as far as I can on the Friday evening depending on how tired I am.
Not knowing where I'll get to I was wondering if it is relatively safe to overnight with the lorries in a service area.
I know it's not recommended when in France!
L

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You will need to pay if you want to stay overnight. Could be cheaper staying at a site. Don't try it without paying, they have cameras recording vehicle number plate as you drive in.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
You will need to pay if you want to stay overnight. Could be cheaper staying at a site.
Possibly, but what site is going to welcome someone arriving unannounced at midnight?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Some sites have a late arrival area, I've seen a CC site which even had EHUs on this area!

But if I was the OP I would just turn off the motorway and look for a layby or a pub with a big carpark. If you buy a pint or even a meal they should have no problem with you staying overnight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Friday traffic i would try make it to Kendal then do as DBK said and find a pub or layby for the night.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Friday traffic i would try make it to Kendal then do as DBK said and find a pub or layby for the night.
That's asking some after a full days work and the Friday night rush North, especially through Brum. If you do get that far then Tebay Services have facilities to stop and are about the best motorway services I have used in the UK. Run by a local farming family rather than big catering companies.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Reasons not to over night where the trucks park. You could get a fridge motor parked next to you with the motor running on and off all night. Could get 2 doing a trailer swap crashing about and shouting to each other about the muppet working in the office. Must be better places to stop.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
If you are a Caravan Club member ( or, possibly, even if you are not ? ) there is a printable leaflet: Night Halts on Motorway Service Areas, downloadable from their website. It used to be published in the yearly handbook but has moved onto the website. V. handy.

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
I got excited by the ccc rally but realise it finished before I leave. I think I'll have to park up earlish either on a small site or pub. Probably around Manchester, I cannot see me driving around in the dark looking for a quiet spot.
It has never been successful before.
I'll look for some other rallies.
Thanks Liz

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Just checked on the CC website. There is a Search box, top right of the page. Write "Night Halts on Motorway Services" in that and it brings up the document to read or print. Open to all, members or not.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I got excited by the ccc rally but realise it finished before I leave. I think I'll have to park up earlish either on a small site or pub. Probably around Manchester, I cannot see me driving around in the dark looking for a quiet spot.
It has never been successful before.
I'll look for some other rallies.
Thanks Liz

There's another CCC group holding a THS at the same place later 10-26 July 2015.
If your a member search the Out & About section of the club mag, on-line.

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Someone else" those dates fit I'm a member so I check it out, and I'm looking for that leaflet but will search for it now cheers,

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
same question on this thread with some good places to stop..
Broken Link Removed

this one looks good,

Crossfells campsite - just off the M6 near Penrith, it's a small and basic but immaculately kept site ran by a couple with a motorhome, perfect as an overnight stop for those heading up or down the M6. It's cheap too as I remember - £10 for the night I think, or £13 if you want electric.

More inviting and quieter than Tebay services I'd say!

http://www.crossfells-campsite.co.uk/

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
Thanks both of you I will look up and see where you are, I'm a small duetto 5.5m
liz

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
If you decide on motorway services make sure you pay when you get there.don't wait till morning or you will have a large bill waiting for you when you get home.As said above.vehicle reg taken as you enter services.if you overstay 2hrs it automatically sends you the fine.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks both of you I will look up and see where you are, I'm a small duetto 5.5m
liz

In that case you do t need to park with the trucks. You can overnight in the same place you would park in the daytime.. with the cars. Much quieter.

OP
OP
isitfriday
Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
I drive on the M3 every day for work and a thought has just occurred to me. At the moment many of the slipways on the motorway are closed between 9pm and 6am.
If that is the same for around Manchester heading north then what a pain.
And what happens to the notices " take a break tiredness kills" hang you can't get off here you have to drive another 30 miles.
mmmmm
:cautious:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back