LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not good examples Jim. The stories linked to provide good reasons.

The latest I read was on FB, Eastbourne are banning motorhomes from parking at the 2016 airshow..The ban was applied by East Sussex County Council as a result of complaints from residents. E.S.C.C has applied for, and been granted a Road Traffic Regulation Order banning motorhomes. They have applied this temporary ban "...with a view to making it permanent."
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14589080.No_free_parking_for_Airbourne_this_year/?ref=rss
The story makes it clear that free parking has been scrapped because it has been abused by "camper vans parking overnight and blocking multiple spaces". Another example "that a few had spoilt it for the majority".
Not just motorhomes,. As the story says "all large vehicles, such as motorhomes, were excluded from the site because all the parking is on grass. If it rains, the organisers are concerned about vehicles churning up and sinking into the grass.".

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Not good examples Jim

sorry.. will try harder next time..

I have plenty of experience of both UK and continental travel and speak as I find, am not out for an argument..

In my experience the UK is not motorhome friendly and you can argue until you are blue in the face Graham, but compared to continental Europe.. the UK is positively anti motorhome..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The reason Asda will not officially allow camping on their car parks is nothing to do with their ownership by Walmart or any American legislation. It is because their car parks are not licensed as caravan sites and they do not wish to break the law.

Publicans who allow use of their car parks without caravan site licences do so either in ignorance of the law or because they don't care about breaking the law.

Which IMV, ONLY highlights the Idiocy of UK and or EU laws, Assuming (say) Asda Own the site, then there is NO practical reason why they cannot "authorise" short stay, Walmart sites, do not supply water nor Dumping facilities (OK there are waste bins). No one is asking for FREE full "Campsite" facilities. Just a place to rest overnight without hassle or the fear of being "moved on". The same applies to Publicans. And (again IMV) further highlights the "Jobsworth attitude" of the vast majority of L-A`s.

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sorry.. will try harder next time..

I have plenty of experience of both UK and continental travel and speak as I find, am not out for an argument..

In my experience the UK is not motorhome friendly and you can argue until you are blue in the face Graham, but compared to continental Europe.. the UK is positively anti motorhome..
The UK is different from continental Europe in many ways though isn't it? As far as motorhomes go we all know that the main reason is that camping in vehicles has developed differently in the UK from continental Europe.
The more that people abuse schemes, such as at Eastbourne, the less likely it is that provision for motorhomes will be made.
If enough people wanted to change the situation then there is nothing to stop them but the fact is that only an extremely small fraction of the population want any change.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Which IMV, ONLY highlights the Idiocy of UK and or EU laws, Assuming (say) Asda Own the site, then there is NO practical reason why they cannot "authorise" short stay, Walmart sites, do not supply water nor Dumping facilities (OK there are waste bins). No one is asking for FREE full "Campsite" facilities. Just a place to rest overnight without hassle or the fear of being "moved on". The same applies to Publicans. And (again IMV) further highlights the "Jobsworth attitude" of the vast majority of L-A`s.

Pete
First of all it's nothing to do with the EU because the legislation pre-dated the UK's membership.
Secondly, as @John & Joan pointed out Here, there were - and still are - good reasons for the legislation
Thirdly LAs have no option but to apply the law.
Fourthly, this constant "Jobsworth" jibe just illustrates the sort of prejudiced attitude which is more or less guaranteed to prevent progress.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
The UK is different from continental Europe in many ways though isn't it?

yes.. in many ways.. and unless you have experienced it you cannot make a fair comparison..

for example

MSAs .. UK charges for overnight stops anything up to £25 ..
France Autoroute... (also privately owned) Free overnight stops, many have free showers and free wifi .. they cater for motorhomes.. they don't see them a cash cows.

Parking charges ..

UK.. rip off at every opportunity.. motorhome banned from many carparks .. and yes I know all about the reasons cited that they are overweight and damage tarmac.
France.. rarely if ever will you pay for parking, towns and villages welcome and provide MH parking and facilities .. no problem with damaged tar-mac.. they fix it.

France Supermarkets.. most allow overnight parking and many have dedicated MH facilities..
UK.. Not allowed.

I could go on.. but there is no point.. the path is well trodden.. the UK is different from continental Europe and not just France.. Germany, Belgium, Portugal, Spain.. all make provision and welcome motorhomes..

Defend councils all you like, make excuses , the truth is .. in many seaside towns motorhomes are simply not welcome, or wanted

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
in many seaside towns motorhomes are simply not welcome, or wanted
Let's agree on that then - but also realise that we (motorhomers) are a tiny minority in the UK and councils have to balance the requirements of the whole of the population.

It will be 10 years on 25th August since I started my web site and there is a lot more parking provision now than there was then (there is also more overnight camping provision in council car parks). There could be even more but, as said before, only an extremely small fraction of the population want any change - and that includes only an extremely small fraction of motorhome owners, especially if it means actually doing something about it themselves.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Apparently there is no evidence one way or the other to suggest that motorhome owners in this country, spend a sufficient amount of money when they visit various towns etc to warrant the cost of providing free parking for them. e.g. How many times do owners eat out or purchase goods other than food ? Until the financial benefit can be shown not much is going to change.
Though It would be good if a few hours parking would be available so that we could visit.
On the continent there are many towns where it is difficult to park to look around, at least that is my experience of travelling all around Europe for 40 years in either a car, caravan or motorhome.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Until the financial benefit can be shown not much is going to change.

catch 22 ..

how can the benefit be shown without providing the facilities and even if there is no financial benefit, is that a reason not to provide facilities.. what about quality of life ?

Truth is, cars take up less parking space so for any given area you can pack more in.. which equals more revenue..

The financial benefit can never be proved.. but should every council decision be made on a financial spread sheet.. is there not a case of providing facilities simply because they are wanted or required.. ?

For example.. Disabled parking provision doesn't make financial sense.. bigger bays = less revenue.. it is a facility provided because it is required.. not because it makes money for the council..

Public toilets.. don't make money.. they cost the tax payer .. but they are needed..

Public seats and benches, bus shelters, parks and recreation areas.. .. an endless list of council provision because it is needed.. because it enriches peoples lives.. not because it makes a profit...

Graham will now say there is no demand for MH facilities, simply because people are to lazy to do something about it.. and in part that is true.. but just because they don't do something doesn't mean there is no demand..

I love my country, I love travelling in the UK, I am not a UK knocker .. next week we are off to Wales for 10 days, .. then in October for 7 days to the West Country.. and Scotland or perhaps Ireland next year ..

but we are finding it is becoming more and more expensive and less attractive every year...

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
If there is no return on investment then there is no money to spend, all the money in this country is raised by the tax payer, so why should anyone spend their own money on something for other people when there is no return.
You already know this.
Why does this forum increase its joining fee each year when it is for motorhomers to increase their enjoyment ? For the same reason, it needs to make a profit or cover expenses.
This is not meant to be controversial, just a simple reply.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Let's take the quality of life argument up then Jim and, as an example, the Eastbourne story you mentioned earlier.
"We have always worked closely with the local community and Eastbourne Borough Council to ensure this flagship event is a success, and this has included making parking on the seafront free.
"Unfortunately, at recent events, this has resulted in a number of camper vans parking for the entire weekend and, due to their size, taking up multiple spaces. This has made it difficult for visitors to park in the area."
There is a prime example of selfishness by a few reducing the quality of life for the many. The same sort of thing happened in Whitby/Scarborough and resulted in the restrictions imposed on a few streets because the councils had to serve the overall public interest, nothing to do with money.
The fact is that, in such situations, use of parking spaces for camping doesn't enrich the lives of the population at large, it causes problems for far more people than benefit. It's made even worse where people camp despite prohibition, steal water &c because it results in more complaints and more ammunition for those who would oppose more liberal provision.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Went to mablethorpe yesterday ,load of carparks with room but all said no MHS and a bloke on the gate waving us on, so some shops and cafe had a little less in their till, what's the reason for this

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
As Said Earlier. Mostly down to Council "Jobsworths", defending the the "Status Quo"!

There has been and probably always will be those who ABUSE a facility, or service. BUT IMV you tackle the individuals NOT the group. But again that is the easy option which Bureaucracy ALWAYS goes for!, because by and large and with few exceptions, they are a bunch of Idle *******. Witness the 5 Council employees looking down the hole watching the 6th dig!. Local to me there are 4 blokes "repairing" a bridge wall. 2 in the "Amenity" van. 1 actually Pointing, and 1 "watching" the Traffic go outside the Barriers erected and the TTL!.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Went to mablethorpe yesterday ,load of carparks with room but all said no MHS and a bloke on the gate waving us on, so some shops and cafe had a little less in their till, what's the reason for this
The reason is that some car parks aren't suitable for large vehicles. East Lindsey Council has interactive maps on its web site showing where motorhomes can park, including Seacroft at Mablethorpe.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
2 in the "Amenity" van.

they were checking their FaceBook status and reading messages ..

Two builders working next door to us (not council I hasten to add)

they spend more time chatting on their phones and staring into the screen than they do laying bricks..

Smart phones must be costing companies and the UK economy £millions every year :rolleyes:

anyway.. enough chit chat.. I have grass to cut ..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The reason is that some car parks aren't suitable for large vehicles. East Lindsey Council has interactive maps on its web site showing where motorhomes can park, including Seacroft at Mablethorpe.
These parks were about 10 acres of cinder parks, no where full with blokes on the gate, no barriers

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Were they ELDC car parks or private? The ELDC ones are shown on .
Must confess Never saw the mh park ,I was talking about the blue ones.

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back