Overnight stop near M25 on route to dover for 32ft RV (1 Viewer)

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
Hiya all. can anyone suggest a stop over near to the M25 ( Chertsey area ) whilst on route to Dover. Date required 15th March. Pitch required for 32ft RV. I am a member of Caravan & camping Club but the only reply i get is ` no pitch available for your size of motorhome` ( not much use ) so if anyone can help i would much appreciated it . Regards Peter.

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Hi Peter, you can try the Caravan Club site at Alderstead Heath, Mertstham,near Redhill RH1 3AH.....01737 644629.... We stayed there quite a few times in the past.:thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hiya all. can anyone suggest a stop over near to the M25 ( Chertsey area ) whilst on route to Dover. Date required 15th March. Pitch required for 32ft RV. I am a member of Caravan & camping Club but the only reply i get is ` no pitch available for your size of motorhome` ( not much use ) so if anyone can help i would much appreciated it . Regards Peter.

Chertsey has a very nice C&CC site. Stayed there twice now.Used to live down that way.

Chertsey Camping And Caravanning Club Site , Chertsey Campsite review

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I think the Warden at Chertsey did his training with the S.S. wouldn't take us and we are only 27'. Think he's anti yank.:Sad:

Never seemed to have that problem.We are 24" (just)

Would be the ideal site.:Doh:

Maybe Redhill would be the better bet then Martyn.

We have used the Horsley site on many occasions and met up with a guy in a Big "A" class Rv who had no problems.

martyn

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
Chelmsford,Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11Years
Not got a clue Pat,that site is outside the zone though,i've just checked.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
P

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
Hi Peter, you can try the Caravan Club site at Alderstead Heath, Mertstham,near Redhill RH1 3AH.....01737 644629.... We stayed there quite a few times in the past.:thumb:

Cheers Martyn, I will ring the CC site you suggest tomorrow.( fingers crossed) . I cannot believe how many sites are frightened of RV`s. Cannot see the point in being a member of the `Club Sites`. Regards Peter.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We were talking about that today.

Clackett Lane services on the other side ( towards Heathrow ) follow the caravan signs. Easy access and quiet.......... honestly

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi agree with billym, stayed there a few times myself on the way down south.

Olley

OP
OP
P

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
We were talking about that today.

Clackett Lane services on the other side ( towards Heathrow ) follow the caravan signs. Easy access and quiet.......... honestly

Will look up Clackett Lane tomorrow. Thanks. I would like to know what other RV ers think about the `Club Sites` and the way they are helped. Regards Peter.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Please don't open up the Caravan Club can of worms concerning RV's. Honestly the attitude between Wardens is so diverse as to be totally unbelievable. I know of one site where the Winter Wardens held an RV Rally and happily took 38ft'ers whilst the Summer Warden says it is impossible for anything over 28ft to get onto the site!

I stayed at Freshwater East in Pembroke on my way to Ireland in my 36ft Cayman towing an 18ft trailer and I have the pictures - but according to the Caravan Club now - it is not possible to get anything bigger than 28ft in due to access problems!

On the other hand I could point you to a site where the Caravan Club says it cannot take anything over 30ft but the Warden let a few RV's stay there at 40ft. I rang him to thank him on behalf of the Big Pitch Guide Members - I asked him why the difference in size allowance and his answer......."Yes, they are big, but if they can get in safely, they are welcome - and anybody with the knowse to drive one of these must be a reasonable driver otherwise he wouldn't be on the road!"

Mo and I have taken the decision to gradually remove all the Caravan Club Sites from the Big Pitch Guide - to replace them with private sites. Nowadays most private sites welcome RV's - and quite a lot of them are cheaper than the Caravan Club, too!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I'm just debating wether I should renew my membership probably won' t because we're going to be abroad a lot this year so won't get the benefit.

If we were not away so much I would'nt hesitate to renew I've never really had a major problem and they both have some lovelly sites. We're in CC & CCC we have occasionally had the odd warden who's a bit anal, had one in Scotlandmake me move a 34ft RV 3 inches to the left:Doh:.
We use the big rig list issued by CC or the BPG and always phone ahead and reserve as this saves arguing or being turned down and keeps my stress levels down.

OP
OP
P

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No
Overnight stop M25

Hiya Martyn , I have just booked a pitch at Alderstead Heath.The chap on the phone was very friendly and seemed pleased to book us in. Thanks for your help & advice. Regards Peter. PS the c&cc site at Chertsey told me nothing bigger than 26ft .

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000
if all else fails you can overnight at maidstone services no problem:Smile:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
M25 sites

Hi

Not too far away is the CC site at Gatwick (Amberley Fields) I have been on there 4 or 5 times now with 31ft, R-V, as we often put our grandkids on the plane to Houston to see dad. latest was Jan 2008 on way to Dover Via 2 punctures on the M25and M23 If they balk ask for the pitches oposite the toilet block as you can overhang most of them. You have to get used to the Aircraft but it is vastly reduced at night.

Option too is the big layby just off the M23 at J10?, I've had 45ft in there before now, if you can beat the other HGV's in!! there are two one either side of the A264 Copthorne Way and I've just "Googled" them and they still look useable

Pete (on site at Oliva Spain & doing now't!! but drink red wine and eat!! and Surf!!)

P

paulejw

Deleted User
Motorhome Parking List

Try Motorhome Parking

There will be a list of GPS paid and free parking that motorhomers have added to on there journeys. Try it and if its not yet available add some yourself.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I know we are not that near the M25 but 200 yards away from us is a large lay by (not actually on the A21 but on a turn off just by us, with about 50 car park spaces that is available for the public to park on free.

Obviously no hook ups, but there are no houses nearby.

Regards

M

maggiezx

Deleted User
re stop off

hi have u look at the aire in canterbury park and ride night stop

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just lie about the length of it :Eeek:. Its never failed for us yet :thumb:. When they give you the "are you stupid" look just say you can never get your head round the metric conversion thing but it looked about 24 feet from my front room. They will find you a space especially at this time of year :thumb: If all else fails just catch an earlier ferry!!:ROFLMAO:

M

mnd

Deleted User
Hiya, When we travel down to dover, we often stop at the Bishop Stortford services, ...dedicated area for caravans and motorhomes to park, all usual service station amenities available, some aircraft noise from nearby Stanstead airport, but that stops at around 2300hrs, normal charge is£8 for 24hrs, which includes a meal token (burger king carpet burger:Sad:) but if you arrive late afternoon 1700 ish, the attendant will only charge a couple of quid:Smile: security on site 24/7 ...sleep easy!:thumb:

Regards Dave

OP
OP
P

petesam

Free Member
Aug 7, 2007
Funster No

I would like to thank you all for taking the time and effort to replay to my query re sites on M25. I have resolved my problem thanks to Martyn`s advice. Thank you all again . Regards Peter & Judith.:thumb:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No

Dear Peter
Appreciate your problem BUT there are several good places near Dover (believe me, we spent the winter in Kent). Black Horse Farm Caravan Club Site has an area dedicated to ferry crossers, rv's were on it when we camped and we got in ok, in fact good access there so no probs. Also, on the A2, ok facing the wrong way but you can get round, there's a free lorry park, from memory it's called quick bite or snack or similar at Dunkirk. We had to pull off site after 28 days and that's where we stopped, basic, very basic I admit but you leave the park, up the A2 wrong direction, off, round the roundabout, back on and straight to Dover.

There are also several quite adequate laybys on the A2 (we're 35' and tow a 14' trailer so have done a bit of homework!). Have you got a truckers' road atlas? Worth every penny!

King regards and happy days,

Jan & Merv

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back