Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hello all,
I was wondering if any of you good people could give me advice on where to stay overnight near Harwich. The reason will be explained shortly.
My wife and I are going to Germany in a couple of weeks, returning home the first week in October. We are crossing from Harwich to Hook of Holland with Stenna Line, and will be returning the same route. The return crossing brings us back to Harwich round about 8 pm. It is a 5-6 hour drive home from Harwich to our house, which makes our arrival time at home somewhere round 1-2 a.m. by which time we will be both too exhausted. I was thinking of stopping overnight somewhere near Harwich, once we get off the Ferry. Either a CC, C&CC, or a CL,CS or wild camping will do, basically anywhere, where we could get our heads down for the night. Many thanks. BillyS

OP
OP
BillyS
Oct 31, 2012
here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650
Exp
Since December 2012
Hi Addie,
Thanks for your advice. The trouble is that I've already booked the Ferry, and have planned it so that we arrive home round noon or shortly after the following day. My wife has to work the day after. I'm not sure if we can reschedule, as I think the return journey is already booked, I'll have to check on Stenna's Timetable to see if they're fully booked. BillyS

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Have you thought about an overnight crossing instead?

The cost of a double cabin can be from £25 depending on demand and you then have all day to drive to your destination.

We had the opportunity to do that a few weeks ago and while I'm not sure we'll do it again it was an experience.

http://www.europebycamper.com/2013/07/harwich-to-hook-of-holland-on-stena-line.html

We have done Harwich/Hook and you can have a daytime cabin to take a nap and a good rest for the journey home and then have a good traffic free night time drive home:thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
grange farm is a quiet farm site about ten miles from harwich about 17 pounds a night
short walk across the fields takes you into the vilage three or four pubs and a couple of resturants and the obligatory tesco express
we once stayed on the one closest to the ferry terminal it was early may they charged us high seaon rates and every part of the advertised entertainment complex was shut vowed never to stay there again

Last edited:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Harbour Cresent, we often stay there for a night or two, right on the waters edge and opposite Felixstowe Docks, watch the ships going in and out of the docks and about a mile from Parkstone, (ferry) maybe joined by other continental motorhomes that seem to use it as well. 51°56'29.29"N 1°17'25.79"E

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
hi we thought of using this crossing so asked the same question although in the end we didnt use it.

just click the link to see the reply's we got

Broken Link Removed

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
The strangers rest at Bradfield. We have stayed there twice and it's fine. Just a big field behind the pub. Showers fine for a one night stopover.

Lin

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
grange farm is a quiet farm site about ten miles from harwich about 17 pounds a night
short walk across the fields takes you into the vilage three or four pubs and a couple of resturants and the obligatory tesco express
we once stayed on the one closest to the ferry terminal it was early may they charged us high seaon rates and every part of the advertised entertainment complex was shut vowed never to stay there again

sorry didnt say the site is at thorpe le soaken

Jun 26, 2012
ipswich suffolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt pilote
Exp
2005 off and on
Hi there is a good cl at brantham, it's in the cc book under Essex page346 court farm next to brantham bull pub good food and from harwich it's only about 10 mls thou it is fairly popular so I would ring there was 5 vans useing it today hpe this hels .Bob

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
All suggestions good but have posted on here before that their are two free car parks just past cricket club that leads to prom and beach or rugby club car park past swimming pool also on beach,both overlook playing fields
HTH

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Parking near Hawich

Hello all,
I was wondering if any of you good people could give me advice on where to stay overnight near Harwich. The reason will be explained shortly.
My wife and I are going to Germany in a couple of weeks, returning home the first week in October. We are crossing from Harwich to Hook of Holland with Stenna Line, and will be returning the same route. The return crossing brings us back to Harwich round about 8 pm. It is a 5-6 hour drive home from Harwich to our house, which makes our arrival time at home somewhere round 1-2 a.m. by which time we will be both too exhausted. I was thinking of stopping overnight somewhere near Harwich, once we get off the Ferry. Either a CC, C&CC, or a CL,CS or wild camping will do, basically anywhere, where we could get our heads down for the night. Many thanks. BillyS
Hi
We were allowed to stay on the port at Hawich when we arrived on the late ferry, with no problems

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back