Overnight spot near Folkstone (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am off on the channel tunnel in two weeks and just realised my Caravan Club membership has expired. It is not worth renewing now as I will be out of the country until at least April.:Doh:

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay near the chunnel so I can get an early start please?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have booked in and stayed in the chunnel car park no problems::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I did that many moons ago. Turned up at 7pm booked in and they put me straight on the train:Doh::Doh::Doh: My ticket was for the next morning at 7am.

I then had to drive for hours in France to get to a satisfactory (to me) parking spot :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
If you want to stay at the Caravan Club site it will cost you an extra I think £6 if you are not a member.

There is also the park and ride at Canterbury which is £2.50. Marine Parade at Dover and we have also stayed at the Royal Oak in Capel le Ferne. It used to be a Caravan Club CL.

Im sure others will be along with some suggestions.

Sonja

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
I think the 'Early Arrivals' services on the M20 may work out, it's about 4 or 5 miles before the Tunnel.

We travel via Eurotunnel frequently and on the rare occasion we are early have had the option of travel on the next available train or stick to our original departure, this comes up on the screen.

We use the Frequent Traveller ticket system so maybe? it's a different response to one off ticket holders?

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
I think you will find it has gon up to stay at the services on the M20 just befor the tunnel stop 24 it is now £20:Angry:

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Good morning shunter, thanks for the welcome.

Have never stopped there, only picked up a little fuel and didn't realise there was a charge after 2 hours.

Thought/hoped that by having a valid Eurotunnel ticket that parking would be free, how naive of me.

For us it's not a problem to travel straight through (the tunnel) as we are happy to stop overnight on the A16 south of Boulogne, just after the peage by maybe 4 or 5 km (Aire de repos des Falaises de Widehem). There is always plenty of space and the views in the morning are perfect, plus no £20 to pay...

Sep 8, 2010
Kent the white cliffs end
Funster No
MH
LeVoyageur Lvx 8
Exp
Not long enough
A lot people stay on the sea front at Dover at night free after 18.00 till 09.00 loads of space and only 15 min from the tunnel:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
there is a Sainsbury at Ashford

If you come off at Ashford, we take our last fuel on at this fuel station... head of the M20 and follow the duel carrage way towards the town and take first exit back at 7 o'clock direction and it is half mile on left.. plenty room there as the shop shuts 10 p.m and the place is empty.. or same exit of the motorway take first exit to the business park follow it round and there is a hotel and McDonalds which has a lot of room.. have held the before.. boy racers do not stay long. both free... unlike the actual stopping place on the motorway which is £20... Canterbury is OK, but a bit messy to get to and if you want a clean run to the tunnel the other two are better as they are just a few miles on the London side.

Bob

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
There is an "aire" in Calais where you can watch the ferries come in and out and is free this time of year... so if you are put on earlier train you could stop there... (the chip van sells the best chips in Europe) or...

If you head towards Rouen there is a free bit of motorway from Abbeville to Rouen and (SHOCK HORROR) I often stay overnight on the "aires" along that road...

JJ :Cool:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Isn't there a pub somewhere near the Chunnel where you can overnight? Sure I've seen it mentioned on here in the past, too.

If you are early, you always get the choice of existing booking or an earlier train despite having booked with Tesco rewards and only actually giving em £2 in money!

In cases where we arrive in France very late evening/early hours we always head straight up the Mway for Auchan at St Martin Boulogne - it's before the peage starts and takes 15 minutes tops, as you join the correct bit of mway straight off the slip road so are 'halfway there'. They open about 8.30 but is such a huge carpark it's NP. They aren't open at all on a Sunday so no fresh croissants for brekkie in that case. Otherwise, Yes!

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
only 5 mins from tunnel

have stayed here for a night and had a really nice meal the night before
only 5 mins drive from channel tunnel

handy for a late arrival or early morning get away
no barriers and no eight o clock rule that you get at black horse farm

would recommend

no hard standing only grass but handy for a pint and meal the night before

nearer than black horse farm to the tunnel

we use this now instead of the caravan club site as it is cheaper and nearer:thumb:

Link Removed

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=10160

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
What does that cost johnp10 and is it 24 hours?

Thanks

24 hr access for MHs.
Early start shouldnt be a problem.
There is an attendant there during normal PR ops, also a pub doing meals (nice) 3 minutes walk away.
Once the last bus goes, the main car park closes, hence quiet.
Your ticket (2.50, I think) allows park and ride use for the parking period in / out of Canterbury centre.

Dec 1, 2011
NorthEast
Funster No
MH
Low-profile coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Overnight stop near Folkestone

This is too late for Gromett, but for anyone else thinking about this topic, I would suggest he or she considers the C&CC CS at Rhodes Minnis. It is just north of J11 and very handy for the Tunnel. £8 incl hook-up and very pleasant owners. Roads in the area are narrow in places but the recommended access route was ok. Will stay there again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back