Overnight parking on the A303/A30 ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Next month we have to travel from Essex to Exeter overnight. We have a busy schedule and can't leave Essex until about 8-9 pm and have to be in Exeter bright and early the next morning. Because we can't leave until late all CL's and other sites will not be available to us.

Looking for somewhere on the A303/A30 road between Andover and Exeter where we can grab 4 or 5 hours sleep without paying £20 for a motorway type parking fee.

Any ideas either on the trunk road or a max of 5 miles from it?

Thanks

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
As I said in a previous post there are plenty of lay byes on the OLD A30 from Honiton to Exeter. I often see motorhomes parked . You can use the new A30 but being earplugs as it is a concrete road.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
Cartgate services on the a30 about 40 mins from exceter. They have toilets etc and lorrys tend to overnight there

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Not very familiar with the A30, are all these laybys, service and picnic areas free, unlike the motorway services?
If we needed to stop a little earlier, are these parking areas all along the route from Andover onwards?

Thanks for the info, by the sound of it there are plenty of places for us.

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
Cartgate picnic area
safe as lorrys park up there and it s not close to any houses .

kat_lewis

Free Member
May 25, 2013
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since a nipper but only got back into it seriously recently when we inherited my mum's van
If you get as far as Andover go on to amesbury (about 10mins) turn as if to go through centre and follow the road through the town past the firestation going towards Salisbury. There is a parking area on the left, as you go up the hill, that is quiet and away from the road.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Used Cartgate for years, on the way down to Cornwall and on the way back. With caravan and Motorhome

05-08-11_0808.jpg

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks again this is very helpful, but are there no charges as per motorway services that limit you to 2 hours free parking before having to either leave or make a large payment for staying longer?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed
Thanks again this is very helpful, but are there no charges as per motorway services that limit you to 2 hours free parking before having to either leave or make a large payment for staying longer?

This is a picnic area near Martock. There are no charges or hassle. The picture is my car and caravan at 8am. Been there all night. I leave Essex around 8pm and get there around mid-night. It's 198 miles from Halstead.
Now replaced caravan with a Motorhome but just as easy of course.
POSTCODE OF SITE IS TA14 6RA.

Cartgate.jpg

Last edited:

simply

Free Member
Apr 24, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newcomer
The Drove at Stonehenge on A303. You see Stonehenge in a field on your right and The Drove is an unmade road on your right, almost on the brow, at the top edge of the field. Shows as a minor crossroads on my TomTom. Locate the entrance as you go past then go on a bit to the roundabout and come back at it so you can turn left to get in. Road is very potholey but no problem as you can take your time. Pull on to the grass verge either side and marvel at the moonlight or sunrise over the stones. The entrance will probably be marked with "thieves operate in this area" signage but you won't be leaving your vehicle. I have never been disturbed here.
I went to Cartgate only once but was blessed with a refrigerated lorry !

OP
OP
V
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Thanks very much. Have identified 3 or 4 stopping places from info above so plenty of options.

I do have a principle objection to charges on motorway services after 2 hours and it has now gone beyond motorways to other areas. Quite surprised this major road is charge free and find it a pleasant change.

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We live just outside Andover, if you come off the a303 at Portway or Walworth industrial parks, you will have no problem parking overnight

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back