Overnight parking in winter in La Bresse Hohneck (1 Viewer)

FisherFun

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Hi all,

I am planning a family ski trip next winter during the school holidays. Other families will be booking accomodation hence why we are thinking about where to go so early. The group are generally complete beginners with 3 intermediate skiers/boarders and 1 experienced skier who is happy to spend most the week skiing backwards with children when they are not in lessons.

We have previously stayed in the car park at the bottom of the piste but it was very quiet at the time. I saw on a French camping car website (unfortunately I forget which one) that camping cars MUST stay in a campsite overnight. I do not know when this information was put up.

Did anyone go to La Bresse Hohneck this year for skiing? Can you tell me if it is still acceptable to stay in the car park? If we are going, say, at Christmas or in February, are we likely to find a space to park up? Should we arrive on a certain day of the week to ensure a spot? If we drive down into La Bresse to swim/ restock etc will we be able to find a spot again midweek?

Many thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you do some advances searches on "ski", "piste", "pissed" all under name "haganap" you'll pick up the whole FUN ski story.

OP
OP
FisherFun

FisherFun

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks, but I don't think Haganap stayed there this winter. I believe they turned up mid way through half term on their way back from the Alps and found the parking unbelievably busy and so moved on. That has concerned me so I am looking for more beta specifically from the 2011/12 ski season.

What I can't tell from their recent blogging is whether it was full just because of cars or whether motorhomes were there too, and whether they were overnighting or not. I'm concerned the ruling may have changed since we were there two years ago, or they were just lax on it when we were there as it was so quiet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Hi Fisher fun,

your right I did not stay there this winter and there is a reason for that my friend.

If you are intending to go anywhere near that place in the Feb half term, you need examining. :Eeek:

Can't speak for Christmas time as we managed it one year with no problems, but there was no snow :Smile:

The time's we have been through in February have been so manic it is untrue, it's like Paris and Germany evacuate to that place. :Eeek:

Also, I can't understand the attraction. all right for a stop off but for an extra 100 miles you can be in the Alps. :thumb: for an extra 200 you can be in all the best ski resorts and if you pick them right you can even have some cheaper resort lift passes.:thumb:

if you do go though, keep me posted, be interesting to see if it is any different, but make sure you check the snow forecast, it suffers terribly

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
Hi went to Gerardmer this year which is the same area, ( few miles away)feb 13 for a week, loads of snow you could park at the bottom of the slopes in the car park for 4 euros no probs at all or you can go down into the town carpark and also park 4e. gerardmer is very easy to ski and good for kids & beginners nothing really for experienced skiers but was ok it wasnt too busy at all ,was a good warm up before we went to Samoens .

OP
OP
FisherFun

FisherFun

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Fiat Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2002
Thanks for the responses.

I've tried to respond twice before but my computer keeps closing down the page before I can post so I will post in parts!

Haganap, we are looking for fairly cheap lift passes. The kids'll need ski lessons and only 1 of the 8 will be eligible for a free under 5/6 pass. Also half the adults will need lessons, adding to the cost for those families.
Regards the Alps, we've found before that we really need two days to get down there, gone are the days of driving overnight and skiing the next day! Also one of the families has only 1 driver, so we are looking at not driving too far.
I am welcome to resort suggestions! However Scotland is out as my littlest is too young to do ski lessons there (but old enough for Snowdome lessons or French ski garden!).

Nucs, I thought Gerardmer was smaller? We won't be doing tons of skiing as we'll only get to seriously ski when the kids are in lessons, but is Gerardmer fine for a week? Also, do you know if they have any afternoon activities for kids. La Bresse has a swimming pool, children's games library, kids evening mascot thing...

Thanks for anymore info/ suggestions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thanks for the responses.

I've tried to respond twice before but my computer keeps closing down the page before I can post so I will post in parts!

Another place to think of if you want somewhere to just park up and have a mess around is on the top of
The Col de Schlut http://laschlucht.labellemontagne.com/

We stopped a couple of nights here, once without snow and once with. It has a huge car park you can wild on, a snow park and just the one chair lift.

It may be useful if you can not get in to Bresse because its too busy. Its free with no facilities and you could always pop down to Bresse to try and park during the day :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back