LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's high time the people who make, sell and service motorhomes in the UK get wise to the fact that more MHs of any nationality on our country's roads is good news for their industry and profits, and get out and do their bit.
So why haven't they done so? The answer has to be that they don't see the value of spending their resources on the effort.

We will never achieve anything if we leave it so somebody else to do the job. That is just passing the buck. Those local authorities which do provide stopovers have been persuaded to do so by individuals getting off their backsides and doing something about it instead of leaving it to somebody else. Further stopovers will not be achieved unless that action is taken in other areas.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just made two posts saying, in effect, that unless people get off their backsides and make a positive case to local authorities then we can kiss goodbye to further stopovers being created. I think I'm right but I'll be very happy to be proved wrong. So, if anyone can show that any positive progress has been made towards creating a new stopover by any other means in, say, the next 6 months then let's see it posted.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting that the report (para 11) says
It is important to note that motor caravans are self-contained units and campers tend to use them for all their daily living needs. Therefore, apart from entrance fees and light refreshments, it is unlikely that they contribute as much to the local economy as those visitors to the area who use local accommodation or who are on a day-trip.
That contradicts the argument that we boost the local economy where we stay. Yes, some of us do, on some occasions, but I'm sure we all know that our spending is variable depending on circumstances. In the case of Dover, where (as pointed out in some posts) people are only stopping for a sleep before/after a ferry trip, it is likely that the council's impression is accurate.
That is another good indication of the need to provide positive cost/benefit evidence to achieve change.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also Para 2 Evaluation of Options Available to the Council
item (iv)
To examine any other alternative proposal made by the Dover JTB.

and Para 13
In considering any proposals, Councillors will need to be mindful as to where motor caravans will be able to park should any form of ban be introduced. Additionally, Dover is a port town offering a ferry service enabling easy access to the continent, not only for business but also for holiday makers and we need to be seen to encourage such traffic rather than hinder it.

Suggest that they are well aware of the issues and not looking to ban MHs from Dover completely however they will always put the concerns of their residents and businesses first. If all of our own local authorities starting spending taxpayers money on provision of services for, it has to be said, a small minority of visitors to their town there would be uproar. As Graham says if we want stopovers we need to demonstrate that it would be an economic boost to the area, or at worst revenue neutral. Making demands or criticising their attitude to us or being otherwise negative isn't going to do it. There is no obligation on any council to provide free parking for anyone never mind motorhomes so pretending we have a divine right to park anywhere we want is not going to help anyone.

Sixbows

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed
Exp
By living in France and experiencing living in a small commune that contributes towards a beautiful free aire in a village called Quarre Les Tombes I can help to explain where the funds come from. The village itself has a council of around a dozen members that are elected bu the residents, this village then belongs to a large group of communes who basically make any decisions regarding finances.
In order to promote the area large subsidies are given from the goverment which pay for things such as the installation of an Aire. The running costs are then covered in this instance by the commune.
There are 3 or 4 restaurants in this village and a few small commerce that basically wouldn't exist if tourism wasn't promoted which differs completely to the revenu that would be earned in a town like Dover, but then again isn't Dover just a stop off point.
I must say that in my commune out of the 12 councillors, 4 are camping carists!!! Which does help(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back