Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Sorry Graham,

We will have to disagree.
Charging for car parking has become a 'Cash Cow' down here in the SW. The local councils are that blind to any other form of raising revenue they even charge Disabled people with blue badges to park
This is to the detriment of all because the blue badge holders have voted with their vehicles and now park on the roads, so defeating the Councils intentions.
I'm not saying it hasn't become a cash cow but at least the cost is paid by car park users (including the many tourists who visit the area) rather than just the residents as a whole.

Reactions: CWH

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm not saying it hasn't become a cash cow but at least the cost is paid by car park users (including the many tourists who visit the area) rather than just the residents as a whole.

Once upon a time (not too long ago) Cornwall was divided into five councils. Our council which was called Caradon sent out credit card type car parking cards that could be loaded with money and used at a discounted rate in the car parks.
Then along came the new? Super??? Cornwall Council that did away with the locals discount. To an extent they also did a one size fits all policy so that, in the central belt of Cornwall where most of the locals live on subsistance wages, they have to pay the same as the holidaymakers who invade us every Summer at the coast.
Rant over(n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Once upon a time (not too long ago) Cornwall was divided into five councils. Our council which was called Caradon sent out credit card type car parking cards that could be loaded with money and used at a discounted rate in the car parks.
Then along came the new? Super??? Cornwall Council that did away with the locals discount. To an extent they also did a one size fits all policy so that, in the central belt of Cornwall where most of the locals live on subsistance wages, they have to pay the same as the holidaymakers who invade us every Summer at the coast.
Rant over(n)
Those cards are a scam in themselves. I recall doing some work investigating IT systems with a leisure department some 16 years or so ago where one of the companies involved suggested the use of such cards for memberships, centre usage and refreshment machines. One of the advantages they flagged up was the money which could be made from advance cash loading (not to mention unspent balances).

The fact remains, though, that councils (just like all other organisations) need to obtain the money to pay for the services they provide from somewhere or reduce services (if not both in the current economic climate). They can either raise the money directly or indirectly but somebody has to pay in the end.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Those cards are a scam in themselves. I recall doing some work investigating IT systems with a leisure department some 16 years or so ago where one of the companies involved suggested the use of such cards for memberships, centre usage and refreshment machines. One of the advantages they flagged up was the money which could be made from advance cash loading (not to mention unspent balances).

The fact remains, though, that councils (just like all other organisations) need to obtain the money to pay for the services they provide from somewhere or reduce services (if not both in the current economic climate). They can either raise the money directly or indirectly but somebody has to pay in the end.
That would be right but when they sent them in the first place there was a Fiver on it(y)(y)(y). At 20p a go, I never got to spend it before the CC pulled the plug.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
they could reduce all the council leaders salaries to a sensible amount.
I've said many times that all officers should be included in the single status scheme and that there shouldn't be a cut off for the senior ones.
I've also said that allowances for elected members should be scrapped and they should only be allowed to claim genuine out of pocket expenses/loss of earnings. That includes no claims for car allowance from members with bus passes that they could use to get to and from meetings.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
it all boils down to they cant exist without us. and more and more people are buying m/homes. still thy are not known to think ahead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
it all boils down to they cant exist without us. and more and more people are buying m/homes. still thy are not known to think ahead.
It isn't a matter of not thinking ahead but of experienced demand. I've been in touch with all UK councils several times about facilities for motorhomes and several have told me that they receive only one or two queries a year (mine alone in one case).
Another aspect is that some council areas cover several towns and villages. The way some of the petitions are worded they require councils to create aires in every single place, regardless of cost and location.
If we want them we have to be prepared to assist by making a valid case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back