Overnight on the way to the shuttle (1 Viewer)

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
we are starting late afternoon from north of Sheffield for the shuttle the following day, so would like to stay somewhere overnight , probably off the M11, south of Peterborough....can anyone recommend a good place? ( not a caravan or camping club site if possible! ....but CLs ok)
Thank you

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's

Attachments

• thaxted1.jpg
    thaxted1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 62
  • thaxted2.jpg
    thaxted2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Sue

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi @Sue and although we go down regularly from Manchester, we go in a morning and spend the day in the Garden of England and get the train then go to Cite Europe for our overnight sleep.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Unfortunately we can only set off late but thanks anyway
I appreciate that totally but setting off late afternoon and getting the train around say 11.00 or even 01.00 could work and save trying to get to a site late on and it's also FOC on Cite Europe (ok, ok, I'm tight but I thought a true Yorkshire girl would appreciate that)

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I appreciate that totally but setting off late afternoon and getting the train around say 11.00 or even 01.00 could work and save trying to get to a site late on and it's also FOC on Cite Europe (ok, ok, I'm tight but I thought a true Yorkshire girl would appreciate that)
Good one! But ....
I’m from Lancashire. Yorkshire is just somewhere I’ve been dragged too

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
If you are running late into the evening, you can normally park outside the park and ride at Canterbury. If there before 8pm it' only £3.00 to park are the p and r aire

Sep 18, 2017
N. Lincs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Sue,

There is a CL next to a caravan site, between Brampton and Huntingdon just off the A14. We use it on the way down from N Lincs. The site is called Willows Caravan Park which you will find on Google maps, and the CL from memory I think is called Marina Fields. Also pub next door. Hope this helps.

Sep 18, 2017
N. Lincs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
I should add , the CL is owned by the caravan site. It is grass only, but the site has hardstanding.
Marina Field - Bromholme Lane, Brampton, Huntingdon, PE28 4NE

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm in the late train camp, save yourself a fortune and a day, cite Europe five mins away , no rushing in the morning and you are already there

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We stayed for the first time on Cite d Europe on Thursday night to catch the train the following morning. Whilst waiting I went on Google maps to confirm directions, assuming that we would have to go back on to the A16 and towards Calais one junction (as shown in grey below) but Google also gave this second route (coloured blue & orange). I tried using streetview to confirm this but is seemed to show gates?
Anyone used this route so that I know for next time?

Screenshot (1).png

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
probably off the M11, south of Peterborough...

The M11 doesn't start until Cambridge, quite a long way South of Peterborough. Perhaps you mean the A1?

Either way you're only a couple of hours from the tunnel so I'd agree with the people that say crack on, get a late train and find somewhere to get your head down on the other side.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
can anyone recommend a good place? ( not a caravan or camping club site if possible! .

This could be an easy overnight spot on the edge of Epping Forest - J26 / M25.
I think you'll have to be off early - it could get noisy in the morning

upload_2018-3-24_22-24-45.png

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We stayed for the first time on Cite d Europe on Thursday night to catch the train the following morning. Whilst waiting I went on Google maps to confirm directions, assuming that we would have to go back on to the A16 and towards Calais one junction (as shown in grey below) but Google also gave this second route (coloured blue & orange). I tried using streetview to confirm this but is seemed to show gates?
Anyone used this route so that I know for next time?

View attachment 220879
I don't think that route is accessible.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We did the route shown in red this morning - going into the gateway next to the Pet Passport Centre, easy peasy! :)

ET access via Pet Passport gateway.png

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
we are starting late afternoon from north of Sheffield for the shuttle the following day, so would like to stay somewhere overnight , probably off the M11, south of Peterborough....can anyone recommend a good place? ( not a caravan or camping club site if possible! ....but CLs ok)
Thank you

OK We leave Chesterfield TOMORROW :D2 we go M1 - M25 - M20 and we stop overnight at Little Switzerland on Wear Bay Road Folkestone tomorrow night (Fish and Chips for supper in Folkestone harbour)
We have been doing this route since 1997 as we love the nature reserve on the Warren and when it's warm just sitting outside the bar at sunset very rarely we are the only ones there but quite often we are the only English Campers it is very well used by Europeans popping over for their touring holidays so Tony and Debs work in Euros as well as pounds

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
OK We leave Chesterfield TOMORROW :D2 we go M1 - M25 - M20 and we stop overnight at Little Switzerland on Wear Bay Road Folkestone tomorrow night (Fish and Chips for supper in Folkestone harbour)
We have been doing this route since 1997 as we love the nature reserve on the Warren and when it's warm just sitting outside the bar at sunset very rarely we are the only ones there but quite often we are the only English Campers it is very well used by Europeans popping over for their touring holidays so Tony and Debs work in Euros as well as pounds
Which chippy in Folkestone please as we like our fish and chips but all the ones we've found are, in all honesty, dire.

vicwo

Free Member
Mar 18, 2016
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
since 1998
Hi Sue. I'm going from Rotherham. Going to try Highfield Farm Cambridge. My pal has been a couple of times. Regards

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
@Sue you need to give consideration as to what time you wish to tackle the M25.
If you leave it til the next morning you are in the hands of the gods as to how long it will take you to get round.
If that day is a weekend and youre early then you should be fine.
If its a weekday, good luck.
The temptation to make it round the M25 late in the evening is very high

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We had a 3 hour delay on the M25 going down to Dover a week ago( an accident on the Dartford Bridge!) but we had planned to stay at Canterbury Park and Ride with a pub nearby. £4 anight( signs still say 3 but well worth it as it's so near the ferry crossing.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
If you leave it til the next morning you are in the hands of the gods as to how long it will take you to get round.
If that day is a weekend and youre early then you should be fine.
If its a weekday, good luck.
The temptation to make it round the M25 late in the evening is very high

What he says above.
Living in Essex I know only too well of road congestion. I would advise against stopping short of the M25 but get into Kent, better still, do as others ALWAYS suggest, get over to Calais, sleep at Cite Europe and be ready to go next morning...................or face the M25 :Eeek:

OP
OP
Sue

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
What he says above.
Living in Essex I know only too well of road congestion. I would advise against stopping short of the M25 but get into Kent, better still, do as others ALWAYS suggest, get over to Calais, sleep at Cite Europe and be ready to go next morning...................or face the M25 :Eeek:
Thanks everyone. We would normally have an early start and make the journey down in one day. We have seen the massive delays. This time it has to be a late start. Staying somewhere halfway...Giving us plenty of time the following day to get to the m11 and beyond

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
we are starting late afternoon from north of Sheffield
So you're looking at around 5 hours driving plus (unknown) extra for traffic. Obviously it depends what time "late afternoon" is, but it should be easily do-able to reach the tunnel for a late crossing and then 5 mins around the corner to Cite Europe. Night time is the best time to approach the M25 so timing could work out perfectly.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can't honestly think of any earthly reason to stay on this side, it doesn't matter how late your crossing is, you are looking at half an hour difference between going off route to find a pub or whatever or just getting into France and parking up for free, you are in no rush next morning just a leisurely breakfast, into the supermarket , pick up your bits and pieces and off into France before you would be getting on the train the next morning.
No stress, no extra cost, an all round no brainer.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We had a 3 hour delay on the M25 going down to Dover a week ago( an accident on the Dartford Bridge!) but we had planned to stay at Canterbury Park and Ride with a pub nearby. £4 anight( signs still say 3 but well worth it as it's so near the ferry crossing.

Tripped down Monday the worse part was the M1 roadworks near junction 24 a straight 4 hours for a change just a simple half tank of diesel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back