overnight near tunnel (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Heading to France for a long weekend mid march and taking the tunnel about 10 ish Saturday morning.As usual we will be short of time hoping to drive down after work Friday and stay overnight near the tunnel but too late to get into the Canterbury aire (I understand the entry closes at 8.30 we wont be down that way until 10 ish) too late to arrive at a clubsite or aire any suggestions on where to stop. It would be a lot easier in France!!!

David

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Heading to France for a long weekend mid march and taking the tunnel about 10 ish Saturday morning.As usual we will be short of time hoping to drive down after work Friday and stay overnight near the tunnel but too late to get into the Canterbury aire (I understand the entry closes at 8.30 we wont be down that way until 10 ish) too late to arrive at a clubsite or aire any suggestions on where to stop. It would be a lot easier in France!!!

David
Why not try and get on late train when you get to Folkstone and then park up at Cite Europe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We normally go through the tunnel in the afternoon, but we have stayed over at Farthing Common, which is close by - see the google streetview link:

http://tinyurl.com/hf35gfg

The police called round in the evening when we were there, but no problem.

It's only a few minutes from the tunnel, and nice views too.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Why not try and get on late train when you get to Folkstone and then park up at Cite Europe.
Agreed, try to change the time to the night before, which should be a fair bit cheaper, then nip round the corner to Cite Europe.
There is no problem turning up there at any time, its free and you can leave when you want.
If you're not sure about how to get from the train to the Cite Europe aire have a quick look at my video, it's very easy to find. It's also safe, we use it every time.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
As you'll be too late for Canterbury P&R you could use the pub next to it or even park outside the P&R as long as you move off fairly early; although I think you're probably better off just booking a train for later on the Friday night and stay at Cite Europe as others have said.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
We have stayed in the 24hr Tesco by the side of M20 a couple of times. We just went in and bought a few bits Ans said we are very tired would you mind if we park up and have a nap and the answer was help yourself. The car park is virtually empty anyway. Only about 15 minutes from the tunnel. Either that or there is an industrial and retail area, turn right at the Tesco roundabout then first right with loads of space to park up for the night. If you dan't mind wild parking that is.
Steve.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
After being turned away for being to earlie 12 hours to earlie.Stopped in little village called beechbourgh next to trains, and m20 just parked on main road near pub :rolleyes:no problems.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I don't know about this dude but I've turned up 7 hours early in Calais and had no problems.
As you're booked on a daytime train and it's usually more expensive, I would drive straight to the tunnel as @Riverbankannie suggested and @NickNic and go straight to Cite Europe. Follow the directions as @Clarky said and just rest and wake up refreshed and a brew or breakfast before you toddle off

OP
OP
The Wino
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks for all the replies I think we will look at getting an earlier tunnel trip if its not too much cost to change and try cite europe

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thanks for all the replies I think we will look at getting an earlier tunnel trip if its not too much cost to change and try cite europe
Chances are it'll be free but most they've ever suggested charging is £10.00 and I got the next free one.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Chances are it'll be free but most they've ever suggested charging is £10.00 and I got the next free one.

The way it works is that if the train you get is more expensive than the one you booked you will be charged the difference. If it's the same price or cheaper it offers you the change for "free"

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Unless travelling on peak dates, fares tend to drop after 10.00pm.
We usually get the 10.20pm or 10.50pm train, which means you can be asleep in France not long after midnight (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
The lodge ashford stayed last week about 15 a night not much amenities but 20 mins from dover

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Really depend how close you want to be. I hVe wild camped at Dungeness before getting an early morning crossing.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We almost always do a Friday night crossing after work.. night crossings are cheaper.
Personally wouldn't stop at cite europe but there are loads of aires nearby to choose from.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back